• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spawn #1 Club
3 3

453 posts in this topic

In reading through this interesting post, which 90's mass-produced copper do you think shows up most in the average collection?

1) Spawn #1 - I'm covered as I have doubles of 1-13 because I always had hope the character would come around again, and enjoyed these foundation issues.

2) Spider-Man #1 - no matter the different covers. I still keep my Platinum tucked away.

3) X-Men #1 - any of the many covers.

4) X-Force #1.

I'd vote Spawn, but there are plenty of McFarlane Spidey fans holding onto their Green, Silver, Gold copies for dear life.

In reading through this interesting post, which 90's mass-produced copper do you think shows up most in the average collection?

1) Spawn #1 - I'm covered as I have doubles of 1-13 because I always had hope the character would come around again, and enjoyed these foundation issues.

2) Spider-Man #1 - no matter the different covers. I still keep my Platinum tucked away.

4) X-Force #1.

I'd vote Spawn, but there are plenty of McFarlane Spidey fans holding onto their Green, Silver, Gold copies for dear life.

My Platinum, Gold w/ UPC and Chromium will always be favorites in my collection! I don't care how many #1's are out there!

And I have NEVER owned a copy of X-Force #1. Was is just as big as these?

4) X-Force #1.

My Platinum, Gold w/ UPC and Chromium will always be favorites in my collection! I don't care how many #1's are out there!

All were massive distribution issues. Count yourself as lucky, though they really were trying to find another x-book focus that had potential. Just the big-shoulders, tiny-legs artwork was distracting.

4) X-Force #1.

This is Sweet - Spidey #1 Gold w/ UPC !!

Brian

I have a feeling Spidey is going to overtake Spawn in his own message thread. Come on folks, don't let that happen. Although, I think the Spider-Man issues were the largest production run next to X-Men 1 A, B, C, D, E covers.

Anyone have the publication stats for these books? I've seen some incredible information posted on this forum when it comes to distribution details.

4) X-Force #1.

X-Force 1 rocks. :headbang:

4) X-Force #1.

If you're talking about "real" collections, I'd say X-Men #1 is probably the worst offender.

But if you're talking about the kind of "one longbox for 10 bucks collection" that eBay is filled with, I'd put Turok #1, Rai And The Future Force #9 and Magnus #21 far above the ones your mention. With these books, it's not only that they were produced in huge quantities, but that they also had much smaller sell-through (most copies stayed at the retailers back rooms). Heck, even the copies that were bought by fans were mostly discarded in the next couple of years.

Oh, by the way, I have about 8-10 copies of Spawn #1, so I guess I can join the club too. :acclaim:

(If someone starts a Turok #1 club, I'm going for a board position :sumo: )

HI! :grin:

Awesome club!! -- I have 2 copies of #1 and all other Spawns until #173. Of course the Angela mini series and a lot more. Spawn is definitely great!! :headbang:

We should grade a #1 with 0.5 and sell it over Ebay as cult object. The guy with this book can be the jester of the club lol

M

Edited by Rezipe

HI! :grin:

Awesome club!! -- I have 2 copies of #1 and all other Spawns until #173. Of course the Angela mini series and a lot more. Spawn is definitely great!! :headbang:

We should grade a #1 with 0.5 and sell it over Ebay as cult object. The guy with this book can be the jester of the club lol

M

The Spawn club is a little more austere than that rag-tag Amazing Fantasy Club. You won't find a .5 issue of Spawn #1. Collectors all know how valuable this book is and would preserve it like his/her life counted on it. Not so of AF #15. That shotty old book is rife with low grades. Just goes to show you that the Spawn collector know's where it's at and the AF #15 collector mostly has a worn and battered book.

I know where my bread is buttered. GO Spawn!

Edited by Spider-Variant

And what's with all that Marvel chipping on the AF15? You don't see that on any of my Spawn #1's, not even on the black and white variant cover.

True. There's a reason they call it Marvel chipping. Cheap paper, cheap production values. If AF15 was so great why didn't anyone take care of their copy?

And what's with all that Marvel chipping on the AF15? You don't see that on any of my Spawn #1's, not even on the black and white variant cover.

True. There's a reason they call it Marvel chipping. Cheap paper, cheap production values. If AF15 was so great why didn't anyone take care of their copy?

You couldn't even give me a copy of that book. (tsk)

Well, at least nothing below a 9.0.

Oh, trust me, don't ever be impressed. That 9.6 only brought in around $15, which was a bummer.

lol, I guess now is a good time to upgrade while prices are :baiting: reasonable.

lol Tell me about it. Key books have been popping up all over eBay, Heritage, and others that I bet would never have left a personal collection otherwise.

CGC Gave me bad grade because they would not accept it as a signature because no cgc member was present at that event. the COA was not enough. boo to cgc lol

i have complete collection of spawn 1-187 about 6 Issue #1

142.jpg

141.jpg

i have int seen many of this variant signed pretty rare.

CGC Gave me bad grade because they would not accept it as a signature because no cgc member was present at that event. the COA was not enough. boo to cgc lol

i have complete collection of spawn 1-187 about 6 Issue #1

141.jpg

i have int seen many of this variant signed pretty rare.

Nice Spawn B&W CGC SS....I can't wait to get my two copies back signed (CGC 9.8 and 9.6) (thumbs u

Brian