• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

G.I. JOE THREAD YO JOE!!!!!!
10 10

2,338 posts in this topic

I could really careless about the movie I think it's gonna suck big time, I'lm just hoping it will force the cartoon to be reissued on DVD. :wishluck:

Steve Summers( the director of Gi joe) 3 Mummy movies made more money then the 3 X-men movies combined.

It will outgross the first x-men movie.There are more GI JOE fans then X-men fans.

Let me get this straight....... there are MORE Joe fans than X-Men fans?!?!?!?!?!? doh!

Look at the sales figures from the mid 80's until '94 when Joe got shelved..... Uncanny X-men ALWAYS beat G.I. Joe

That must be why the original Marvel Joe series got shelved..... because there were more Joe fans than X-Men fans :tonofbricks:

Listen, I love G.I. Joe as much as anyone :insane: but there is no way in Cobra-La :whistle: there are more Joe fans :makepoint:

I fear the G.I. Joe movie is going to be like Episode 1....... with all the build-up and hype, there will probably be no way in hell that it can live up to expectations :flamed:

I hope for a good movie, but once again Hollywood will probably find a way to clusterspoon it :sorry:

I am talking about the big picture.I will bet GI JOE the movie does better boxoffice then X-men the movie 1.Toys outsell comics easilly.GI JOE is mainstream compared to the X-men.I guess we will find out come August.

btw I always thought Snake Eyes was so much cooler than Wolverine and could kick his butt :kidaround:

Edited by MR.COMICBOOK

Steve Summers( the director of Gi joe) 3 Mummy movies made more money then the 3 X-men movies combined.

It will outgross the first x-men movie.There are more GI JOE fans then X-men fans.

They have 3 gi joe movies planned. This is were Snake Eyes gets his due.

I see GI JOE 1 as a key. YO JOE!

There're 3 planned? Can I read about this somewhere? That's pretty good news if the studio is committed to all 3. Makes for possibly more thought spent on how to do these very well.

QUAID confirms 3 gi joes planned

there are other links around just google them.

Edited by MR.COMICBOOK

I always loved the GI Joe comics growing up. Had tons of the 3 3/4 figs too (thumbs u Was just going three three short boxes of Joe books and the nostalgia was just killing me :cloud9: I remember there wasn't an issue 2 to be had anywhere and then Marvel decided to reprint.

I really liked the early covers and who the hell doesn't like iss 21? The second that goes up the :takeit: is never far behind usually followed by a few :frustrated:

I could really careless about the movie I think it's gonna suck big time, I'lm just hoping it will force the cartoon to be reissued on DVD. :wishluck:

Let me get this straight....... there are MORE Joe fans than X-Men fans?!?!?!?!?!? doh!

Look at the sales figures from the mid 80's until '94 when Joe got shelved..... Uncanny X-men ALWAYS beat G.I. Joe

That must be why the original Marvel Joe series got shelved..... because there were more Joe fans than X-Men fans :tonofbricks:

Listen, I love G.I. Joe as much as anyone :insane: but there is no way in Cobra-La :whistle: there are more Joe fans :makepoint:

I fear the G.I. Joe movie is going to be like Episode 1....... with all the build-up and hype, there will probably be no way in hell that it can live up to expectations :flamed:

I hope for a good movie, but once again Hollywood will probably find a way to clusterspoon it :sorry:

I am talking about the big picture.I will bet GI JOE the movie does better boxoffice then X-men the movie 1.Toys outsell comics easilly.GI JOE is mainstream compared to the X-men.I guess we will find out come August.

btw I always thought Snake Eyes was so much cooler than Wolverine and could kick his butt :kidaround:

But it's not 1985 anymore...

But it's not 1985 anymore...

But I think his point is that there was a fanbase bigger than the X-Men's at the time (and up until around 1985, G.I. Joe did routinely outsell the mutants). Those same fans probably will go see the movie out of pure nostalgia.

1a30762e.jpg

This was my very first comic book ever. Mine though is tattered and has my name written on it! :cry:

I'm not really looking forward to the movie since I heard theyre making Joe some sort of "Global" organization instead of good 'ole USof A.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Oct-2003/16835-snakesscars.gif

I always thought he would look worse then that.

His face was supposed to be all burned.

Thanks. That's it?? From all the expressions and stuff from the characters in the series I would have thought it would have been much worse.

Edited by PEP

Reading that thread in my link, they did bring up some good points.

Well you have to understand that his face was MUCH worse originally...

In his origin, Scarlett makes a comment that 'the best plastic surgeons in the world tried every trick in the book...' or something to that effect. Presumably, they were able to help him to some degree... just not enough.

Also, he did receive other injuries throughout the series... I know there are a few shots of his eyes sprinkled in the comics, and it's not bulging like that. He also recieved a few other surgeries 'off-panel,' but nothing that completely restored him.

The original injuries, IIRC, were massive burns (Scarlett says that SE carried her out of the helicopter wreck 'with his head still on fire'), major nerve damage (it was hinted that the reason he was in the sensory deprivation chanber in issue #2 was to help him control the pain and numbness), and at first, it was mentioned that he had some eye damage, but that it was repaired. The vocal chords, from what I understand, were completely torched- barring a complete miracle, he's not getting them back.

SE's face is also hinted at when Dr Venom captures him and subjects him to the brainwave scanner (#10), and we are actually given a few shots of him without his mask from the nose down, but the flesh is blacked out for no real reason... although one might wonder if SE wears black makeup, as it would help to conceal his facial features (or lack therof) and it's scars if he were ever without his mask in battle.

In issue 11, Doc tries to check SE's face for frostbite and gets a gun in his face. smile.gif

In issue 12, SE, Stalker, Gung-Ho, and Breaker are in Sierra Gordo... they run into Dr Venom again... Fooling Dr Venom into believing he is dead when the Joes are captured, SE is left in a burning warehouse. He runs out with the uppr half of his body on fire, and his mask burning off. Seceral natives make comments about it as SE barrels past on his way to douse himself in the river. He later pops up by another native's boat, scaring the man so badly that he leaps into the river himself. Throughout the rest of the issue, he is maskless, with convenient shadows over his face, even in broad daylight... the 'makeup theory' I mentioned above might have some relevence, but it's just as likely that he had some bad recent burns from his head being on fire... again.

It should be noted that we do get a panel that shows his eyes as he beats on Dr Venom... other than the murderous rage in them, they appear perfectly normal. When we next see SE in #14, he has somehow regained his mask with no explanation, as he has been trapped in a bunker at the bottom of the river, far from any supplies.

Issues 26 and 27, the Snake-Eyes origin issues, have plenty of shots of parts of his face pre-accident... never a full shot, though. After the accident, we see only his 'Invisible Man' getup.

In issue 36, Wade Collins (a CG Fred) pulls of SE's rubber mask and is horrified at what he sees... SE lets go of him, and he unceremoniously falls off the ferry.

In issue 48, a case of 'mistaken' identity while trying to find Zartan, who has infiltrated the Pit, leads Recondo, Torpedo, and Quick-Kick to pin SE and pull of his mask (logic says that SE didn't fight back, as we all know he could have taken all three, but might have injured them in the process). The three are obviously repulsed, with Roadblock commenting "That's the real Snake-Eyes you got there, no doubt about it!"

To my knowledge, this takes us up to issue 50. Frankly, I don't really have the ambition to sit around an catalogue past that right now (although in a geeky sort of way, this was quite fun). I may have missed some in the 30's, as I have major holes in my collection and have yet to buy vol 4 of the TPB series. Hope it was informative all around.

Reading that thread in my link, they did bring up some good points.

Well you have to understand that his face was MUCH worse originally...

In his origin, Scarlett makes a comment that 'the best plastic surgeons in the world tried every trick in the book...' or something to that effect. Presumably, they were able to help him to some degree... just not enough.

Also, he did receive other injuries throughout the series... I know there are a few shots of his eyes sprinkled in the comics, and it's not bulging like that. He also recieved a few other surgeries 'off-panel,' but nothing that completely restored him.

The original injuries, IIRC, were massive burns (Scarlett says that SE carried her out of the helicopter wreck 'with his head still on fire'), major nerve damage (it was hinted that the reason he was in the sensory deprivation chanber in issue #2 was to help him control the pain and numbness), and at first, it was mentioned that he had some eye damage, but that it was repaired. The vocal chords, from what I understand, were completely torched- barring a complete miracle, he's not getting them back.

SE's face is also hinted at when Dr Venom captures him and subjects him to the brainwave scanner (#10), and we are actually given a few shots of him without his mask from the nose down, but the flesh is blacked out for no real reason... although one might wonder if SE wears black makeup, as it would help to conceal his facial features (or lack therof) and it's scars if he were ever without his mask in battle.

In issue 11, Doc tries to check SE's face for frostbite and gets a gun in his face. smile.gif

In issue 12, SE, Stalker, Gung-Ho, and Breaker are in Sierra Gordo... they run into Dr Venom again... Fooling Dr Venom into believing he is dead when the Joes are captured, SE is left in a burning warehouse. He runs out with the uppr half of his body on fire, and his mask burning off. Seceral natives make comments about it as SE barrels past on his way to douse himself in the river. He later pops up by another native's boat, scaring the man so badly that he leaps into the river himself. Throughout the rest of the issue, he is maskless, with convenient shadows over his face, even in broad daylight... the 'makeup theory' I mentioned above might have some relevence, but it's just as likely that he had some bad recent burns from his head being on fire... again.

It should be noted that we do get a panel that shows his eyes as he beats on Dr Venom... other than the murderous rage in them, they appear perfectly normal. When we next see SE in #14, he has somehow regained his mask with no explanation, as he has been trapped in a bunker at the bottom of the river, far from any supplies.

Issues 26 and 27, the Snake-Eyes origin issues, have plenty of shots of parts of his face pre-accident... never a full shot, though. After the accident, we see only his 'Invisible Man' getup.

In issue 36, Wade Collins (a CG Fred) pulls of SE's rubber mask and is horrified at what he sees... SE lets go of him, and he unceremoniously falls off the ferry.

In issue 48, a case of 'mistaken' identity while trying to find Zartan, who has infiltrated the Pit, leads Recondo, Torpedo, and Quick-Kick to pin SE and pull of his mask (logic says that SE didn't fight back, as we all know he could have taken all three, but might have injured them in the process). The three are obviously repulsed, with Roadblock commenting "That's the real Snake-Eyes you got there, no doubt about it!"

To my knowledge, this takes us up to issue 50. Frankly, I don't really have the ambition to sit around an catalogue past that right now (although in a geeky sort of way, this was quite fun). I may have missed some in the 30's, as I have major holes in my collection and have yet to buy vol 4 of the TPB series. Hope it was informative all around.

Excellent synopsis! (thumbs u