• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TMNT #1 Club
19 19

3,699 posts in this topic

Not just #1's, it seems that 2011 was the year to submit early TMNT books. The numbers on a lot of issues is way up.

More copies generally means lower prices...which is good considering I'd love to own a first print 9.8 one day.

Dunno, seems a bit steep. Would rather put the dough into a first print but, hey, that's me.

2nd print? laughing.gif

Dunno, seems a bit steep. Would rather put the dough into a first print but, hey, that's me.

2nd print? laughing.gif

The seller is Keegan from Comics to Astonish in Maryland. He's actually a good dealer to buy from if you're looking for low to mid-grade books. He often has nice books for $5, $10, and $20 at shows.

However, anything high grade, CGC'd with a low census count, or an expensive key (like a low grade X-Men #1) he charges through the roof. He totally knows that people over pay for books in these categories and will sit on books for awhile hoping to make a big sale.

Needless to say, I've bought a bunch of low & mid-grade books from him, but never anything described in the 2nd paragraph.

What do you guys think the 2nd print CGC 9.8 is worth? I don't have GPA, but I wouldn't be surprised if it sold in an auction in the $1,000 range. The Peter Laird high grade copies have been selling between $200 & $300 on eBay raw. So I could see the bump up to $1,000 for a CGC 9.8, but I'd be surprised if it sold higher. 2c

The first one I ever saw was listed on Ebay for $2K...I have no idea what it sold for. In my mind, it's a $900-$1100 book on ebay.

more like $500 on a good day.

I disagree...a 9.6 copy gets between $400 and $500 on ebay. Add in that it's as close to a 9.8 1st print as most will get and that there's only 2 9.8's on the census and you'll find people putting a premium on this one. As others have said, people have been paying nearly $300 for Laird's ungraded copies on ebay. I'd be very surprised if a 9.8 2nd print went for less than $500 anytime soon.

more like $500 on a good day.

I disagree...a 9.6 copy gets between $400 and $500 on ebay. Add in that it's as close to a 9.8 1st print as most will get and that there's only 2 9.8's on the census and you'll find people putting a premium on this one. As others have said, people have been paying nearly $300 for Laird's ungraded copies on ebay. I'd be very surprised if a 9.8 2nd print went for less than $500 anytime soon.

+1

The rule of 25 is kicking in. The TV show went from 1987 to 1996, with the 1st movie coming out in 1990. 1987 + 25 = 2012.

The 2nd print cover is exactly the same as the 1st print. So those people who don't want to fork out the big bucks can settle for a 2nd printing.

The fact that CGC still puts 1st appearance of TMNT, Shredder & Splinter on both the 2nd & 3rd printings also helps keep demand for those books strong. 2c

I'm the one that bought the original 2nd print 9.8...I talked the dude down to $1500 (I think).

Now that there is another - maybe it's not worth as much.

I am thinking of selling it.

I also have a FIRST PRINT I bought off another board member - cgc 9.4 if anyone is still interested...