• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TMNT #1 Club
19 19

3,699 posts in this topic

more like $500 on a good day.

I disagree...a 9.6 copy gets between $400 and $500 on ebay. Add in that it's as close to a 9.8 1st print as most will get and that there's only 2 9.8's on the census and you'll find people putting a premium on this one. As others have said, people have been paying nearly $300 for Laird's ungraded copies on ebay. I'd be very surprised if a 9.8 2nd print went for less than $500 anytime soon.

I agree with Peter Palmer. There are more 9.8 and 9.6 1st print copies on the census then there are 9.8 and 9.6 2nd print copies. The print run for the 2nd print is relatively low and only separated by one month from print dates. The cover is virtually the same except for the inside covers. The print run on the 2nd print at 15,000 copies is very low for distribution standards and trying to get a nice high grade copy is much more affordable. I'm just as happy with my 9.6 2nd print, if not happier, as I am with my 8.5 1st print.

Question: If #1 2nd print and #2 1st print both have a print run of 15000, would they fetch similar prices at high grade 9.8 (or possibly higher in the future, ie 9.9)?

i don't think the equation works that way plus you forgot the variables.

more like $500 on a good day.

The print run on the 2nd print at 15,000 copies is very low for distribution standards and trying to get a nice high grade copy is much more affordable. I'm just as happy with my 9.6 2nd print, if not happier, as I am with my 8.5 1st print.

I am going by memory here and its been a long time. But I believe that the 15000 number is wrong. IIRC it was a mistake in overstreet and IIRC the print run of #1 2nd is NOT the same as #2 1st.

The inside cover editorial of the #1 2nd or 3rd print (I think 2nd) talks about the print run of the #1 2nd and I believe its only 6000 making it considerably rarer than pretty much anything except #1 1st (and variant #3 and gobbledygooks if you want to count those).

If someone could confirm that I'd appreciate it as my copy is in storage. But that's my recollection and certainly when I was searching for these books it was far easier to find a #2 1st than a #1 2nd. #1 3rds were everywhere (35000 made IIRC), but not 2nds.... those are much scarcer I believe.

Wow, possibly only 6,000 of the second print of issue number 1. I think this issue is a sleeping giant given that there are far less 9.8 and 9.6 copies graded. I'm sure they'll come out of the woodwork soon but it appears everyone wanting a 1st print overlooked the 2nd print and the low numbers. Good discussion guys.

there's no way in hell that the 2nd print will ever be worth more than the 1st print.

You're right...I'm not sure anyone here said otherwise. (shrug)

I believe it was

#1 1rst: 3,000

#1 2nd: 6,000

#1 3rd; 12,000 (?)

#2 1st: 15,000

Thanks for the confirmation on the #1 2nd. :) Just for the accuracy of the info though, I really don't think that 3rd print # is correct - those 3rds are quite common. Thought it was

#1 1rst: 3,000

#1 2nd: 6,000

#1 3rd; 35,000

#2 1st: 15,000

Can anyone confirm?

there's no way in hell that the 2nd print will ever be worth more than the 1st print. the numbers don't lie. 1st print has the lower print run. don't be the fool.

It wouldn't matter if the 2nd print was only 2000, it would still be worth less than the 1st print. The 1st is the 1st print and of course can and should be more valuable.

But those 2nds aren't a bad consolation prize if the price is appropriately adjusted.

The first three prints all look nearly identical from the cover, same size etc.

Having any one of the prints is amazing to me. I just love the cover so much.

Seeing a 9.8 in a cgc case always makes me stop...doesn't matter what printing!

Edit: This link http://miragelicensing.com/comics/mirage/turtlemania/turtlemania.html seems to mention 35,000, but small chances they are wrong. I think you are right Bronty!

What's weird is some places mention 2nd Print was 15,000, others say 6,000

Edited by sessnet

Edit: This link http://miragelicensing.com/comics/mirage/turtlemania/turtlemania.html seems to mention 35,000, but small chances they are wrong. I think you are right Bronty!

Theres actually a pretty reasonable chance that it is wrong, as the printing quote for Gobbledygook is also wrong.

cool thanks (thumbs u

I think the reason we see the 15000 number to this day is because people read it in overstreet. Its like a lie that gets passed around so much it becomes the truth :tonofbricks:

The rule of 25 is starting to kick in. I wouldn't be surprised if TMNT stuff continues to go up over the next few years. 2c

I've seen high grade 2nd prints sell as high as $300 RAW. So yeah, I'm not surprised a CGC 9.6 would sell for $400.

Personally, I think it's too high.

Plus, CGC still puts "Origin and 1st appearance of The TMNT, Splinter & Shredder" on the label for the 2nd & 3rd prints. So if you can't afford the 1st print, maybe people are willing pay a little more for the 2nd print since it still say 1st appearance and it's the same colors as the 1st print. (shrug)