• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TMNT #1 Club
19 19

3,699 posts in this topic

I just unearthed another TMNT #1 1st print.

A couple of month ago a dealer friend I work for sometimes called. There are a couple of tweakers who come in the shop every now and then looking to sell comics or toys or whatever they can to get their next fix (this is just my opinion; I could be wrong). In the past they have come in with some okay lower grade silver and bronze. It all appears to come from the same source based on condition and storage. Normally it's stuff you pick up for pennies on the dollar just to get them out the door. This time they came in with a box of mid-grade 80s drek and a handful of magazines. The comics were junk but the mags had a couple of okay copies of Marvel Premiere (including the #2 Punisher issue) and a ragged copy of Blazing Combat #1. Tucked in the mags was a water-warped TMNT #1. He asked me to see what could be done.

Overall the book was solid with some usual color breaks; nothing too serious. But the water damage was pretty nasty and the book was warped. It was probably a 2.5 overall. I had the book cleaned and pressed... WOW... after all was said and done it I think it is in the 4.5 - 5.0 range. Unfortunately I can't find the before/after pictures. I'll post them if they turn up.

wow! who did the press and clean and its it for sale?

There's a non-commercial guy who does the pressing; the results are great. The book was pre-sold as far as I know but I can ask if that deal fell thru if you want.

While we are on the topic of the 2nd print, can anyone give me GPA stats on a 9.8 (blue)? It looks like they will be adding a third copy to the census shortly. :)

I don't know if I should use GPA since prices are all over the place with the 2nd print and there are only 2 other 9.8s on the census right now. One of the copies is up on eBay right now for $10k, and the guy claims to had offers of $2500-3500 on it, but I wouldn't be shocked if he were telling the truth.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TEENAGE-MUTANT-NINJA-TURTLES-1-CGC-9-8-2ND-PRINT-1-OF-ONLY-2-HIGH-GRADE-/310371779208?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item4843998288

Edited by lemonman5

While we are on the topic of the 2nd print, can anyone give me GPA stats on a 9.8 (blue)? It looks like they will be adding a third copy to the census shortly. :)

I don't know if I should use GPA since prices are all over the place with the 2nd print and there are only 2 other 9.8s on the census right now. One of the copies is up on eBay right now for $10k, and the guy claims to had offers of $2500-3500 on it, but I wouldn't be shocked if he were telling the truth.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TEENAGE-MUTANT-NINJA-TURTLES-1-CGC-9-8-2ND-PRINT-1-OF-ONLY-2-HIGH-GRADE-/310371779208?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item4843998288

No GPA data on 1 2nd print 9.8 :) For 9.6, only 3 sales around $500 and 1 at $905 in the last two years.

No GPA data on 1 2nd print 9.8 :) For 9.6, only 3 sales around $500 and 1 at $905 in the last two years.

Thanks for the information. Its probably a good thing that there is no GPA data on 9.8. That probably means I can throw it up for $4-5k BIN OBO and see what happens, since I can just make up any number on it.

Edited by lemonman5

I think with these prices there will be a whole lot more interest in subbing the 2nd print. We'll see a lot more hit the census which hopefully will drive those prices down. I honestly don't forsee anyone paying $5000-$10000 for a 9.8 2nd print any time soon...

What was the print run on the 2nd print? anyone know?

To see the market value on this book we'll have to wait until someone is daring enough to put one up for auction with no reserve...

:o

This is one of those books that people just want. It seems the grade is less important than the price.

+1

Some people just want to own a nice looking mid-grade copy and aren't as concerned about CGC's grade. I also believe the mid-grade copies don't come up for sale as frequently as the high grade copies. So you may get more people in the mid-grade price range acting faster to pull the trigger when they come up for sale.

Plus, that's a sweet looking 5.5 (thumbs u