• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
24 24

8,357 posts in this topic

Hello, I need some help with some TMNT comics. My wife bought me as a gift issues 2, 3 and 4 of the original Mirage comics and I have no idea how to tell if they are 1st prints or later printings. There isn't any typical comic copyright info on the inside cover where it would typically say if it was a 2nd or later print.

Can anyone let me know how I can go about identifying that she didn't accidentally buy me later printings and pay 1st print prices?

Thanks.

For issue 2, the inside cover would state that it is a second printing. If it doesn't say that then you have a first print. If it's a third print it would have the cover listed here:

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=183361

For issues 3 and 4, second printings have different covers than first prints. See here:

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=157081

I was so stoked to meet Kevin Eastman at Heroes last weekend. I brought two items to get signed and when I arrived at around 12, I went straight to his booth. I walk up to his line, which had about 20 people in it and was thinking, "Okay, this isn't too bad...." As I approached the end of the line I asked the person at the end, "This is the end of the line right?" He looked at me and pointed to a humongous line against the side wall, and informed me THAT was the end of the line. It was like that scene in The Christmas Story where they go to the mall to meet Santa. Anyway, my friend was with me and neither of us wanted to wait for 4 hours so we were like, well at least we can walk up to his table and at least see him. After going to his table I found out that if you were willing to buy one of his Prints, Comics, or various other items, he would sign and personalize them for you and you didn't have to wait in any line at all. So I picked up two of this prints he was selling and an IDW TMNT #10 Cover B and was definitely a happy camper then!

IMG_0652_zps2a484a27.jpg

IMG_0653_zps87063a5b.jpg

IMG_0651_zpsc37ec8e9.jpg

just picked up some

Teenage mutant "hero"turtles adventures comics.

these are larger then a magazine book.

anyone know the value on these?

not mint would grade them in the FN range.

issues 53,54,55,58,69,&70.

Here's another that I got back recently. It's the tough-to-find Gamestop reprint of #1 that accompanied the release of the 2007 movie-based video game. I think the only thing keeping it out of 9.8 is the unwitnessed interior signature by the director of the movie, Kevin Munroe. Though, that's a cool signature to have. :)

1 of 2 highest graded...no 9.8's

TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles01GamestopSS96.jpg

Here's another that I got back recently. It's the tough-to-find Gamestop reprint of #1 that accompanied the release of the 2007 movie-based video game. I think the only thing keeping it out of 9.8 is the unwitnessed interior signature by the director of the movie, Kevin Munroe. Though, that's a cool signature to have. :)

They dock for interior signatures?

Yes, usually a 1-2 grade drop. The wonderful world of CGC grading. I have several book I have bought that have artist/writer sigs on interior so they hammer the books. Great way to obtain books at better price points for a "defect" that some don't mind and some actually like.

Yes, usually a 1-2 grade drop. The wonderful world of CGC grading. I have several book I have bought that have artist/writer sigs on interior so they hammer the books. Great way to obtain books at better price points for a "defect" that some don't mind and some actually like.

That's not 100% correct.

There is a size and placement issue to consider. If the interior signature is in the margin and doesn't obscure any art, they typically won't deduct any points. I've got a triple-signed 9.8 TMNT book as evidence of that among plenty of examples that are out there.

However, if the signature is large, covers any of the interior art, or bleeds through the page, a deduction occurs. In my case, Kevin Munroe's signature is large. It takes up roughly 25% of the page and it's done in red marker. Hence, a deduction.