• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
23 23

8,320 posts in this topic

Collect what you like!!

Prices go up and down on almost all comics.

+ 1 Billion!

The TMNT thread gets a little stale when all people want to talk about are auction prices. Where's the love, people? Where's the love?

Cool! Who did the sketch? On this issue, I've seen sketches from Laird, Talbot, Berger, and Lawson. In any case, I think you got a good deal.

Hello old friends :) I have been out of the collecting game for the last year or two, but still have many of my best books. I have been wondering about the value of my Gobbledygook books. I have a very nice set, which was purchased from a board member, who purchased it directly from Eastman's collection. Everything is documented, so the history of the books is well established. Both books are signed and sketched inside the front cover by Eastman and Laird. Any idea what these things are worth these days? If for no other reason, I would like to know for insurance reasons. Thanks!

Hello old friends :) I have been out of the collecting game for the last year or two, but still have many of my best books. I have been wondering about the value of my Gobbledygook books. I have a very nice set, which was purchased from a board member, who purchased it directly from Eastman's collection. Everything is documented, so the history of the books is well established. Both books are signed and sketched inside the front cover by Eastman and Laird. Any idea what these things are worth these days? If for no other reason, I would like to know for insurance reasons. Thanks!

Probably around $7K for the set. There's a set for sale right now on eBay for $8995 BIN that you could watch to see the final value (if it sells).

Yep, all prints, errors, and variants. I didn't do double covers though, not really my thing. That isn't impressive, the ones in your sig line are impressive. I'm jealous.

Group shot please :)

I couldn't get a group shot (too many books). Here are some shots by print and vol.

image_zpsccc38d12.jpgimage_zps70ae5bdd.jpgimage_zpsf4a164f9.jpgimagejpg3_zpsc2cd1932.jpgimagejpg4_zpsbeaaed86.jpgimage_zpsf0d620a4.jpgimage_zpseb1bca45.jpgimagejpg2_zpsfd0e99f3.jpgimage_zps3ad42d03.jpg

imagejpg1_zps899819f6.jpg

imagejpg2_zps691239f0.jpg

I have all the Dreamwave comics but I didn't take a picture.

Edited by Parabellum

Yep, all prints, errors, and variants. I didn't do double covers though, not really my thing. That isn't impressive, the ones in your sig line are impressive. I'm jealous.

Group shot please :)

I couldn't get a group shot (too many books). Here are some shots by print and vol.

image_zpsccc38d12.jpgimage_zps70ae5bdd.jpgimage_zpsf4a164f9.jpgimagejpg3_zpsc2cd1932.jpgimagejpg4_zpsbeaaed86.jpgimage_zpsf0d620a4.jpgimage_zpseb1bca45.jpgimagejpg2_zpsfd0e99f3.jpgimage_zps3ad42d03.jpg

I will post vol 4 once it is complete. I have all the Dreamwave comics but I didn't take a picture.

(worship)(worship) Turtletastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wow. I love all the printings!!

Great collection of all printings! I have the same collection but I'm missing the elusive #1 6th printing hardcover. I assume since you have 2 of the 2009 reprint, one is the error version, correct?

Good luck with volume 4. It took me forever to find a #26 to complete the run.

Edited by spracknetch23

Great collection of all printings! I have the same collection but I'm missing the elusive #1 6th printing hardcover. I assume since you have 2 of the 2009 reprint, one is the recalled error version, correct?

Yes, the first one in the line is the error. It's funny how I got that. I paid $3 bucks for it, apparently the dealer didn't know it was an error copy. I had it for 3 months when i pulled it out of the bag to read to my daughter for a bed time story. Needless to say I was speechless when I got a couple pages in and saw the hatch pattern. I emailed he dealer and told him I would give him more money but he said it was on him and that he will take the loss.

Just as a bit of background, the 2009 Color edition error was never "recalled". Once Mirage noticed the error in the margins, they printed out more without the hatch pattern. When they got the new ones in stock, they sold the error variants for $1 each until they were gone. They were up on the website for weeks before they were sold out.

The issue never became valuable until the first graded copy hit ebay and a bidding war ensued over the newest TMNT error variant. When that went out of control, others noticed and subsequently started submitting many more error variants for resale. The census went from 1 to 15+ over the course of a weekend when someone got a bunch signed by Kevin Eastman at a show and has since been slowly selling them on ebay (to great success, it seems). If you looked at the census now, you'd see that the error isn't very rare compared to the corrected counterpart. In fact, there are over 30% more graded copies of the error variant than the corrected edition on the census.

Just a bit of info to posterity.

Great group shots!

Great collection of all printings! I have the same collection but I'm missing the elusive #1 6th printing hardcover. I assume since you have 2 of the 2009 reprint, one is the recalled error version, correct?

Here you go. I think that it is way over priced but one just went best offer for $500.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251538155490?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

#26 is the only one I can't find anywhere. Someone is asking $80 for #25 and $40 for #28 right now on eBay. I think I will wait.

Let me know if you ever want to get rid of 25-28. I'll take them off your hands, haha.

Just as a bit of background, the 2009 Color edition error was never "recalled". Once Mirage noticed the error in the margins, they printed out more without the hatch pattern. When they got the new ones in stock, they sold the error variants for $1 each until they were gone. They were up on the website for weeks before they were sold out.

The issue never became valuable until the first graded copy hit ebay and a bidding war ensued over the newest TMNT error variant. When that went out of control, others noticed and subsequently started submitting many more error variants for resale. The census went from 1 to 15+ over the course of a weekend when someone got a bunch signed by Kevin Eastman at a show and has since been slowly selling them on ebay (to great success, it seems). If you looked at the census now, you'd see that the error isn't very rare compared to the corrected counterpart. In fact, there are over 30% more graded copies of the error variant than the corrected edition on the census.

Just a bit of info to posterity.

Great group shots!

Great info! Thanks!

Great info on the 2009 reprint error, I wasn't aware that it wasn't recalled. I must edit my post so there is no confusion.

Great collection of all printings! I have the same collection but I'm missing the elusive #1 6th printing hardcover. I assume since you have 2 of the 2009 reprint, one is the error version, correct?

Here you go. I think that it is way over priced but one just went best offer for $500.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251538155490?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Thank you but that's much more than I'd like to spend, which is the main reason I haven't found one. I've seen them go on ebay auctions for $200-400, but the BIN listings are always insane. However I guess it wouldn't hurt to send an offer.

#26 is the only one I can't find anywhere. Someone is asking $80 for #25 and $40 for #28 right now on eBay. I think I will wait.

Let me know if you ever want to get rid of 25-28. I'll take them off your hands, haha.

I ended up getting an Ebay BIN of about half the run for $40 bucks about two months ago which included #26. Of course that caused me to have doubles of about half the run. However I sold those off at $3 a pop and made all the money back, essentially getting the 26 free. A lot of work but worth it to complete the run. Maybe there's an easier way?

Edited by spracknetch23

Great info on the 2009 reprint error, I wasn't aware that it wasn't recalled. I must edit my post so there is no confusion.

Thank you but that's much more than I'd like to spend, which is the main reason I haven't found one. I've seen them go on ebay auctions for $200-400, but the BIN listings are always insane. However I guess it wouldn't hurt to send an offer.

I ended up getting an Ebay BIN of about half the run for $40 bucks about two months ago which included #26. Of course that caused me to have doubles of about half the run. However I sold those off at $3 a pop and made all the money back, essentially getting the 26 free. A lot of work but worth it to complete the run. Maybe there's an easier way?

I don't know if there is. The later issues are hard to get but I am not going pay $80 for 1 issue. I didn't pay that for a CGCed #29 with Laird head sketch. I am just gonna have to wait it out.

I would make an offer. The book that went for $500 was on there for months @ $1200.