• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
23 23

8,273 posts in this topic

Just got these back yesterday. I did a mini op with Jim for Boston. The top slab was for my daughter(when she's older). I asked Jim to do a mock up of a Space Giraffe in the style of the old Playmates character concept sketches.

The second is for a friend(hence the spoiler). They asked for Donny as a Chicago Blackhawk.

21490908635_90c538f3dd_c.jpg

20869791253_cba8902680_c.jpg

Lawson's the man. That Giraffe is nuts, and he nailed the Jersey. Such a sick style. Did you get a sketch for yourself?

I did not, already have a Lawson sketch slabbed. The giraffe was for her birthday.

I'm sure she's going to love it if she hasn't seen it yet. That was Half Court in the toys. He was tough to get.

I have a Casey myself. Similar to Talbot (and really all the early turtle artists), there's no artists like them. I guess that's why we love our Turtles

SO EXCITED to have these back. Overall, over 6 years is what it took me to put this set together (hence why they're on Dark Avengers blanks).

Peter Laird did the sketches on the front and Steve Lavigne painted them. Kevin Eastman did the back covers.

:cloud9::cloud9::cloud9::cloud9::cloud9::cloud9:

th_Dark%20Avengers%201%20-%201%20Leonardo%20Shredder.jpgth_DarkAvengers1-1LeonardoShredderBC.jpg

th_Dark%20Avengers%201%20-%202%20Donatello%20Splinter.jpgth_DarkAvengers1-2DonatelloSplinterBC.jpg

th_DarkAvengers1-3RaphaelCasey.jpgth_DarkAvengers1-3RaphaelCaseyBC.jpg

th_Dark%20Avengers%201%20-%204%20Michelangelo%20April.jpgth_DarkAvengers1-4MichelangeloAprilBC.jpg

SO EXCITED to have these back. Overall, over 6 years is what it took me to put this set together (hence why they're on Dark Avengers blanks).

Peter Laird did the sketches on the front and Steve Lavigne painted them. Kevin Eastman did the back covers.

:cloud9::cloud9::cloud9::cloud9::cloud9::cloud9:

th_Dark%20Avengers%201%20-%201%20Leonardo%20Shredder.jpgth_DarkAvengers1-1LeonardoShredderBC.jpg

th_Dark%20Avengers%201%20-%202%20Donatello%20Splinter.jpgth_DarkAvengers1-2DonatelloSplinterBC.jpg

th_DarkAvengers1-3RaphaelCasey.jpgth_DarkAvengers1-3RaphaelCaseyBC.jpg

th_Dark%20Avengers%201%20-%204%20Michelangelo%20April.jpgth_DarkAvengers1-4MichelangeloAprilBC.jpg

:applause:

Great pieces Adam

From on-site at Baltimore. Oddly enough, I believe this is the only one on the census. Great cover by A.C. Farley.

TMNT%20Vol%202%201%20BC.jpgTMNT%20Vol%202%201.jpg

Who is this Doug? And we're can I buy his turtle books lol

You won't find a stricter grader in the business. He may be a bit pricey at times, but you know what you're getting. I've probably bought a couple of dozen books off of him, and every single one of them I had graded were graded by him the same, or higher. And he's a really good guy.

Great books Adam! It was good seeing you at Bmore, if only briefly. That is one of my favorite Farley covers and it's so pretty!

Though I don't post pics here much, I think I have some recent pickups I feel are worthy of this illustrious thread...

Here's a commission by Jim Lawson(pencils) and Eric Talbot(inks/tones) I recently got back. Eric had it for me in Bmore. I wanted to commission a cover redo, but wanted to stray from the issue one cover and be different. See also: oddball... This is one of my top pieces of my collection and commemorates my daughter's birth last year. I picked up the penciled DuoShade from Jim when she was 3 days old and handed it off to Eric shortly thereafter. Eric put so much love into this, I can't muster words to express my gratitude and enjoyment. He even inked in a Easter egg with my daughter's name. It's a large page measuring 22" x 15" I saw a partially finished product in Boston this year and it was awesome hearing the two of them reminisce over TMNT and Mirage. I truly can't thank the two of them enough for this... But, I will surely try :) I plan on seeing Jim soon and getting his Johnny H to complete this. Maybe with luck, I can get him to write "After Laird" and give it some nice provenance.

21731073185_24ee857925_b.jpg

Boston 2015

19997948069_0bde7dacca_c.jpg

I also snagged a volume one cover and can now say I'm part of the coveted club of volume one cover OA owners. This is the cover OA fror issue 44 by Rick Arthur. It's a good feeling and this page is also oversized measuring 24" x 15" and painted with acrylics and dyes. The depth and texture is gret in person. The colors are much warmer in person too. The experience of acquiring this, and an interior page, from Rick Arthur was top notch professionalism. It's really important to me to have a great experience buying pages as well as owning them, it adds to the sentiment.

21988338651_dc88373160_b.jpg

Good to see you too, man! Great pieces! I'm glad your got your commission. The tones on the duoshade board look fantastic.

Excellent cover, too. If I know I'll be at a show you're attending, I'll have to try to talk you into bringing it so I can see it in person.

I finally got around to reading some of the original TMNT comics. Having been a fan of the turtles since childhood it's a bit embarrassing to admit I've never read, until recently, the original Mirage comics. I picked up the available hardcover "The Works" collected editions and I have to say I really enjoyed them. I wrote a review of The Works editions on my site and thought I'd share it here.

TMNT: The Works Review on NerdGoblin.com

Those are cool pieces congrats.

Thanks!

Good to see you too, man! Great pieces! I'm glad your got your commission. The tones on the duoshade board look fantastic.

Excellent cover, too. If I know I'll be at a show you're attending, I'll have to try to talk you into bringing it so I can see it in person.

Thank you Adam. I'll definitely bring the big portfolio to a show. I'm gonna do NYCC tomorrow, but that will be too busy. I'm going to try and go to Bing Con later this month. It's a great small show with no crowds in Springfield MA. Jim Lawson, Steve Bissette and Stephen Murphy will be there.

Holy ... I see my mother's name in this drawing. If your daughter's name is Evelyn Anne, then my mind was just officially blown.

:D:D:D

Haha, close. My daughter's name is Evelyn Ann. Mind partially blown...

Great pickup! That's an excellent grade for that particular issue. I bought numerous copies of that issue and I'd say only 2 would even remotely be close to a 9.6. One copy had the back cover nearly torn completely off.... (shrug)

Congrats on that beastly piece Sofistocat. What a beauty.

Here's my Talbot piece from NYCC. I had seen a purple moon in one of his prior commissions, and had to get one. He of course nailed it. He's such a great guy. Always welcoming and friendly. I also got to see The Man Kevin. He was so cool as always, and personalized a book for me with a little head sketch. He was signing with Robert Rodriguez, who had inked one of the variants to cover 50. He was cool too. Kevin always makes time for his fans and appreciates us. As I had said when I first met Herb Trimpe (RIP), meeting your favorite artists and them actually giving you the time of day to have a reciprocal conversation and showing you love back is mind blowing. It makes you love their work even more.

image_zpshe0rmvqr.jpeg

image_zpsjs1kwoe8.jpeg