• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
23 23

8,287 posts in this topic

52 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I'm sure magazine bags and boards would do well

Since when you submit to cgc, it's under the magazine designation 

Truth!  The width will be a little off as the TMNT books are not as wide as standard sized magazines, but the height will be correct.  The way I see it, it gives you a little bit of extra protection.

40 minutes ago, sorrenmj said:

I would love to have visited the Shellback store before it closed

It became an annual pilgrimage for more than a few of us.  I went in 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2016 during the FCBD event in May.  In 2016, I even went back when the October closing was announced.  It was a cool event and is sorely missed.  I ended up hanging out with @Ryan. in the line for a few of those years.  :x

25 minutes ago, Turtle said:

Truth!  The width will be a little off as the TMNT books are not as wide as standard sized magazines, but the height will be correct.  The way I see it, it gives you a little bit of extra protection.

Yes you are right. There's not much you can do about the top or bottom but the extra width will help against some knocking.

25 minutes ago, Turtle said:

It became an annual pilgrimage for more than a few of us.  I went in 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2016 during the FCBD event in May.  In 2016, I even went back when the October closing was announced.  It was a cool event and is sorely missed.  I ended up hanging out with @Ryan. in the line for a few of those years.  :x

It sounds awesome I can only imagine the treasures inside! Does anybody have any favourite purchases from Shellback?

I am curious how do you store/display your comics? You have some incredible comics (first prints, variants, misprints, signed etc). How do you store/display them in the house? I have just purchased a couple professional/sturdy comic boxes which arrived today and are nicely bagged and boarded upright and safely tucked away. Is this OK for long term storage? Any suggestions/thoughts definitely welcome

44 minutes ago, sorrenmj said:

Does anyone else have these TMNT cold cast statues from Playmates?

thumbnail_IMG_3475.jpg

I had a set, in a very cool display for a few years. I ended up selling the set and using some of the proceeds for the Michelangelo OA page I posted earlier. They are the coolest statues!

10 minutes ago, spracknetch23 said:

I had a set, in a very cool display for a few years. I ended up selling the set and using some of the proceeds for the Michelangelo OA page I posted earlier. They are the coolest statues!

They are epic. I have noticed on my statues very faint hairline cracks starting to show and I wonder why this is happening and if anybody else's are doing the same thing? Is there anything I can do? There's no chipping, just very very faint small hairline cracks. Is this just an age thing? I haven't neglected them at all.

2 hours ago, spracknetch23 said:

I never went to the events, but I was able to order the cool event prints from Steve. 

191A9463-26AE-435C-9DEB-904FEC030AB9.jpeg

45452FC9-548F-4FD2-8138-A93F31D74852.jpeg

Steve did put out some cool prints for those signings.  I grabbed the ones I could.  That Sign-Off one is from the Store Closing event in October 2016.  Here was the one from FCBD 2016:

1809877642_TMNTShellback-FCBD2016LimitedPrint.thumb.jpg.dd728e7abbebb6da58b851777c16c1fe.jpg

That Shredder one above is his less common "variant" print from 2015 limited to 40 based on the Shredder clone art that he used to have displayed on the wall.  I'm pretty sure @TMNT owns the page now.  Steve also did a regular print limited to 200 copies featuring a cover from Volume 2.  Steve took the original art and added new colors to the actual art and then sold the art after making prints:

1476887602_TMNTShellback-FCBD2015Volume2.thumb.jpg.71ff7992f8f842f0052215b893fdeefa.jpg

Jetpack Comics usually runs TMNT events during FCBD.  They were a short drive from Shellback Artworks:

1686982292_TMNTMirage-RochesterFCBD.thumb.jpg.b873ad9fe4cf66bf20353e0fb6b187ad.jpg

Then there's this one from the 2014 FCBD event.  This was the 30th anniversary of the TMNT and was the first time Eastman and Laird signed together in many years.  To commemorate, they worked on a new print together and this was the result:

1047597141_TMNTShellback-FCBD2014EastmanandLaird.thumb.jpg.b7eec7537356888394540326216d70f0.jpg

My memory is a bit fuzzy, but I think the 2014 Shellback event was split over 2 days.  Eastman was across down doing FCBD with Jetpack Comics.  Eastman, Laird, Lawson, and Lavigne had a joint signing at Shellback the next day. 

Jetpack comics had their own prints for that year:

1499225585_TMNTMirage-PortsmouthCon.thumb.jpg.4ba8a4e65866678067e2f28892b9d19d.jpg

Then there's this one, which is a bit tougher to find.  It's from the joint signing and wasn't traditionally sold, rather they just ran off some copies and posted them around town it seems.  I think most of the surviving copies are ones that just never got posted.

1320417572_TMNTShellback-FCBD2014.thumb.jpg.c382a56227dab48887cc8e0fc32acb45.jpg

42 minutes ago, Turtle said:

Steve did put out some cool prints for those signings.  I grabbed the ones I could.  That Sign-Off one is from the Store Closing event in October 2016.  Here was the one from FCBD 2016:

1809877642_TMNTShellback-FCBD2016LimitedPrint.thumb.jpg.dd728e7abbebb6da58b851777c16c1fe.jpg

That Shredder one above is his less common "variant" print from 2015 limited to 40 based on the Shredder clone art that he used to have displayed on the wall.  I'm pretty sure @TMNT owns the page now.  Steve also did a regular print limited to 200 copies featuring a cover from Volume 2.  Steve took the original art and added new colors to the actual art and then sold the art after making prints:

1476887602_TMNTShellback-FCBD2015Volume2.thumb.jpg.71ff7992f8f842f0052215b893fdeefa.jpg

Jetpack Comics usually runs TMNT events during FCBD.  They were a short drive from Shellback Artworks:

1686982292_TMNTMirage-RochesterFCBD.thumb.jpg.b873ad9fe4cf66bf20353e0fb6b187ad.jpg

Then there's this one from the 2014 FCBD event.  This was the 30th anniversary of the TMNT and was the first time Eastman and Laird signed together in many years.  To commemorate, they worked on a new print together and this was the result:

1047597141_TMNTShellback-FCBD2014EastmanandLaird.thumb.jpg.b7eec7537356888394540326216d70f0.jpg

My memory is a bit fuzzy, but I think the 2014 Shellback event was split over 2 days.  Eastman was across down doing FCBD with Jetpack Comics.  Eastman, Laird, Lawson, and Lavigne had a joint signing at Shellback the next day. 

Jetpack comics had their own prints for that year:

1499225585_TMNTMirage-PortsmouthCon.thumb.jpg.4ba8a4e65866678067e2f28892b9d19d.jpg

Then there's this one, which is a bit tougher to find.  It's from the joint signing and wasn't traditionally sold, rather they just ran off some copies and posted them around town it seems.  I think most of the surviving copies are ones that just never got posted.

1320417572_TMNTShellback-FCBD2014.thumb.jpg.c382a56227dab48887cc8e0fc32acb45.jpg

I just bought the volume 2 print you posted from Dee. When she posted it she said that it wasn’t the final art, rather she said Steve took the rough (which is slightly different than the finished version) and then colored that version for the poster. 

On 5/14/2021 at 1:17 PM, ThothAmon said:

Does Veitch ever do signature series? Probably wait for that with this before submission. McFarlane SS on a couple Amazing Heroes covers he drew did very well by me. 

image.jpg

Yes.  He was at the last few Baltimore Comic cons I went to and was fine with signing for Signature Series.  That’s a great cover.

7 hours ago, jaybuck43 said:

I just bought the volume 2 print you posted from Dee. When she posted it she said that it wasn’t the final art, rather she said Steve took the rough (which is slightly different than the finished version) and then colored that version for the poster. 

Weird.  When they had the original art for the print for sale at the signing, they said it was the original cover with colors added.  I suppose I’ll need to break out the print and the book and compare to see if there are any significant differences in the line work 

44 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

Is everyone aware that Rich Henn is facilitating a private signing with Steve? 

Deadline is coming up, too.  Early June, I believe.  Steve will be at the Garden State Comic Fest.  I’m fully vaccinated now so I’m hoping to make it out to see Steve, Dee, and Rich.

20 minutes ago, Turtle said:

Deadline is coming up, too.  Early June, I believe.  Steve will be at the Garden State Comic Fest.  I’m fully vaccinated now so I’m hoping to make it out to see Steve, Dee, and Rich.

See you there! It’s like 20 minutes from my house and I’ve got a stack of art I want him to sign. Plus haven’t seen them since 2019 so would be nice to visit.

On 4/14/2011 at 9:58 PM, Turtle said:

Most of the additions in the last year were likely me. There won't be a spot in the registry if there are no graded copies on census (hence the #5 2nd print). Whenever I had a copy graded that was previously ungraded, I asked for a slot to be added. I was going for completeness.

There are 2 sets: a 1-4 set and a 1-62 set. I feel like the 1-4 set is great the way it is. It's elegant in that it only takes into account the 1st prints first 4 issues. They're all the same size and both feature work by only Eastman & Laird. The 1-62 feels more like a "here's everything" set. Therefore, anything pertaining directly to the story being told in volume 1 should be included, including all printings.

I don't know why you'd find the inclusion of the one-shots weird, but they have been there since well before I participated in the registry. The Raph and Leo 1-shots play directly into the main storyline of volume 1:

-The Raphael 1-shot introduces Casey Jones, a core character in the series.

-The Leo 1-shot IS part of the story. It may as well have been issue #10 but since it's so Leo-focused, they decided to make it his 1-shot. There is no disconnect between the Leo 1-shot and issue #10, they tell 2 parts of the same story. Why not add it in?

-The Mikey 1-shot doesn't add much to the overall story being told in volume 1, but it develops Mike's character much more than he has been in previous issues (Laird's favorite is Don, Eastman's is Raph, and Leo is the leader, so Mike always got left out when it came to character development) and it introduces the Klunk character.

-The Don 1-shot again doesn't do much for the overall story, but it does introduce Kirbyworld, a key component of April's backstory.

As for the Fugitoid issue, it not only introduces another core character (Professor Honeycutt/Fugitoid), but it once again ties in directly to the story being told. At the end of issue #4, the TMNT are teleported to a distant planet right between a mob of soldiers and a robot. The Fugitoid issue recaps the events leading up to the appearance of the TMNT and leads into issue #5. Plus, it's another all Eastman/Laird collaboration.

As for asking for only additions that I already owned, I was more going for completeness than anything else. A good example was when I asked for the remaining printings of #1 be added. I asked for that months ago and only got my copy of the Gamestop variant less than 2 weeks ago when I stumbled upon it at Gem City. I've also asked for the 2nd print #5 to be added...that's when I was told that issues with no graded copies will not be added. I'd like this 1-62 set to be a record of all the books from volume 1, so I wouldn't be helping anything by omitting ones I don't own.

There are quite a few double covers of the first few issues out there, but double covers are printing anomalies and not actual variants so they're not counted as individual slots in this or any registry that I'm aware of. Some would say that the 2nd print #4 error variant or the #3 NYCC variant were also "printing anomalies", but the difference is this: both of the latter examples had the same error happen to the entire print run and the difference is noticeable. Double covers happened randomly throughout the printing process and if one felt so inclined, the outer cover would be removed to change the book to the intended state. The same is not true of the #3 or #4 variants.

I'm currently striving for a complete high-grade run of volume 1. It's especially exciting to me because it looks like no one has done it before. I appreciate the support/razzing I get for the collection (Off-White pages on my #2, anyone? :tonofbricks: ) and I've found TMNT fans to be among the friendliest and most passionate in the hobby. I <3 you guys!

Hello @Turtle Did you manage to complete a high-grade run of volume 1?

So I was going through my TMNT comic box, thinking I had them all (apart from #1 first printing because, well who gets to own one of those?) only to realise I was missing one. Imagine that. Luckily I was able to find it on eBay for a good price. Equilibrium has been restored.