• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
23 23

8,285 posts in this topic

33 minutes ago, sorrenmj said:

Hello @Turtle Did you manage to complete a high-grade run of volume 1?

Complete?  Not quite.  While I had a lot of 9.8 firsts on the census, there were a few that eluded me.  The ones that come to mind are 1st and 2nd print #1, 2nd print #7, and #11.  In 9.8.

Outside of those, I’ve had 9.8 copies of every other book in Volume 1 at some point in the last 10 years.  In this time I started moving away from Signature Series for this run and made a concerted effort to pay off my student loans.  

The loans were paid in full a few years ago and I wanted to recreate the run in Universal 9.8 this time.  I’m casually picking up books I don’t have.  I still have the majority of the run in 9.8 and will slowly keep building.

As for what happened to those original books, many of them can still be seen on the registry.  Among others, @Icculus308winand I have become online buddies through our shared addiction to TMNT.  I’m certainly not responsible for his whole set, but it’s comforting to know that I can still see many of my old books in his set whenever I feel like taking a walk down memory lane.  

And not to bash Signature Seies.  I’ve got some SS books that I absolutely LOVE.  But for right now, the blue label is calling me.

2 minutes ago, Turtle said:

Complete?  Not quite.  While I had a lot of 9.8 firsts on the census, there were a few that eluded me.  The ones that come to mind are 1st and 2nd print #1, 2nd print #7, and #11.  In 9.8.

Outside of those, I’ve had 9.8 copies of every other book in Volume 1 at some point in the last 10 years.  In this time I started moving away from Signature Series for this run and made a concerted effort to pay off my student loans.  

The loans were paid in full a few years ago and I wanted to recreate the run in Universal 9.8 this time.  I’m casually picking up books I don’t have.  I still have the majority of the run in 9.8 and will slowly keep building.

As for what happened to those original books, many of them can still be seen on the registry.  Among others, @Icculus308winand I have become online buddies through our shared addiction to TMNT.  I’m certainly not responsible for his whole set, but it’s comforting to know that I can still see many of my old books in his set whenever I feel like taking a walk down memory lane.  

And not to bash Signature Seies.  I’ve got some SS books that I absolutely LOVE.  But for right now, the blue label is calling me.

Nice story, thanks for sharing. This board is like a live/interactive Turtle Tracks from the original TMNT comics! How's it going recreating the run?

So I had mentioned this was moving on the Moderns Heating Up thread a few weeks back. Today, another 9.6 sold for a high amount: new age comics 1 fantagraphics in Collectible Comics | eBay

I thought it would be good to come to this thread where some who are more familiar with the TMNT history have any insight on this making moves after what, 36 years? (1985) Mainly because the selling point refers to this being the first full-color TMNT ad on the back cover. Being that I came into possession of a small bundle of these a few years back, and put them away because they did not have any noted value or interest at the time, I'm now considering grading a few of them.

Can anyone confirm the statement about the ad and point to any sources? I can't find any. Also, why do you think suddenly this being "the first" full-color ad of them is now a major discovery and not figured out sooner?

Of course, with the market being the way it is, nothing surprises many of us right now.

Image 3 - New Age Comics #1 CGC  9.6 1st Color Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles In A ComicImage 1 - New Age Comics #1 CGC  9.6 1st Color Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles In A Comic

1 hour ago, CHASEnBLUE said:

So I had mentioned this was moving on the Moderns Heating Up thread a few weeks back. Today, another 9.6 sold for a high amount: new age comics 1 fantagraphics in Collectible Comics | eBay

I thought it would be good to come to this thread where some who are more familiar with the TMNT history have any insight on this making moves after what, 36 years? (1985) Mainly because the selling point refers to this being the first full-color TMNT ad on the back cover. Being that I came into possession of a small bundle of these a few years back, and put them away because they did not have any noted value or interest at the time, I'm now considering grading a few of them.

Can anyone confirm the statement about the ad and point to any sources? I can't find any. Also, why do you think suddenly this being "the first" full-color ad of them is now a major discovery and not figured out sooner?

Of course, with the market being the way it is, nothing surprises many of us right now.

Image 3 - New Age Comics #1 CGC  9.6 1st Color Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles In A ComicImage 1 - New Age Comics #1 CGC  9.6 1st Color Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles In A Comic

This book has flown under the radar in dollar bins for a long time. A quick search for "1st color Turtles" on Ebay brings up TMNT #7 (full color insert story by Richard Corben) and Grimjack #26 as other "1st color TMNT" claims. Both of those books are from 1986, while this one is from 1985. However, the two I mentioned are full color stories, while this one is an ad. 

If we're getting technical, Leonardo appeared in the January 1985 issue of Comics Collector (image attached) and also the Turtles appeared in full color on the iron-ons in 1984. However, neither are those are proper "comics".

So, as far as full color in an actual comic book, I think this is the first. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I hope this helps. 

L_CC.jpg

22 hours ago, Turtle said:

Turtle is being VERY modest with the books I have acquired from him over the years - in quantity, but more so quality. The rarity, scarcity and uniqueness of some of his books, that he was kind enough (or empathetic enough lol) to part with - are fricken amazing on so many levels 🤘

It is indeed a very cool group of TMNT Collectors/Boardies here. So much knowledge and history about the characters, writers and artists through the Turtle threads since created. Most of those “founding fathers” as I call them are still here, still contributing and books like Turtle’s are in many of the TMNT sets. 

22 minutes ago, Icculus308win said:

Turtle is being VERY modest with the books I have acquired from him over the years - in quantity, but more so quality. The rarity, scarcity and uniqueness of some of his books, that he was kind enough (or empathetic enough lol) to part with - are fricken amazing on so many levels 🤘

It is indeed a very cool group of TMNT Collectors/Boardies here. So much knowledge and history about the characters, writers and artists through the Turtle threads since created. Most of those “founding fathers” as I call them are still here, still contributing and books like Turtle’s are in many of the TMNT sets. 

Nice. What is your favourite fricken acquisition @Icculus308win?!

20 minutes ago, Icculus308win said:

As of right now…..still has to be this bute:

311712B4-238C-4653-8C95-8AD411F18D8D.jpeg.505f655cfd558943b2f46472ebd47f45.jpeg

That is pretty. Are these big ticket items now? Do they sell for lot of money? I remember when they were selling for $50 or such.