• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
23 23

8,330 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Ryan. said:

As for staining, I'm not sure how applying pressure to a comic would remove a stain but I'm not an expert on pressing so maybe. 

I'm also not an expert, but I believe that pressing is combined with cleaning. I have no idea if that would include taking out stains, though.

1 minute ago, tvindy said:

I'm also not an expert, but I believe that pressing is combined with cleaning. I have no idea if that would include taking out stains, though.

Thanks for your reply - it's just referred to as pressing on the option. Most people have said most likely won't remove the stains. The stains are minor (sort of like comic boards staining/slightly yellowing). It would be expensive to pay afor the service and it really not work. Thanks to everyone for helping me make a sensible $ saving decision! 

On 12/6/2012 at 3:58 PM, Turtle said:

I've got one of those framed in my comic room. I got it signed by Eastman & Laird at NYCC in 2009. Both seemed pretty surprised by it...they said they hadn't seen the image in years. I'd love to get Dave Sim to sign it one day.

Oooo, what does a comic room look like?!

On 7/13/2013 at 6:06 PM, nriccijr said:

Besides here, the Technodrome, and Rich's site...are there any other good places for TMNT info/chatter? I have had a severe case of Turtlemania the past two years or so and it just keeps increasing. I check these sites numerous times a day...but they are all generally pretty slow.

I know how you feel!

On 8/30/2013 at 12:49 AM, Archon_Turtle said:

Since the topic came up, I thought I would do a quick tutorial about Kevin's signature.

The signatures Kevin uses usually depends on two things.

1) What he is signing.

2) How much time he has.

Each signature obviously varies by small degrees, but there are some basic ones.

There are 3 signatures he regularly uses currently.

1) Separated K - Less Hurried. Normally if you catch him walking down the street or at a small appearance, you'll see this. This was also much more common prior to the Nickelodeon buyout. Since then, his lines have grown in size exponentially.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v247/JNCOPosterboy/20130829_152856.jpg

2) Connected K - The "I have a huge line" signature. You see this a lot more since the relaunch of the Turtles. This signature also tends to be "fatter", and he will often stop at "East", though sometimes you still get the "n" at the end.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v247/JNCOPosterboy/20130829_161957.jpg

3) Full Name - Personal signature. This signature is really seldom used. He will use it on personal documents (signing Checks for example) or on something he deems really important to him. In this case he used it for a tattoo. These signatures look like he is signing "Kim" Eastman. Which is funny cause that is his fathers name.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v247/JNCOPosterboy/The%20Collection/The%20day%20I%20met%20Kevin%20Eastman/100_1386.jpg

Retired Signatures:

There are a few signatures that Kevin has used in the past that he has evolved out of.

"Sharp" Block Letter (Late 80's Early 90's) - This was a typical autograph signature for the period. Sometimes he would include the date, and sometimes include is middle initial. Like his modern signature, there is a slow and a fast version. The slower being the second photo.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v247/JNCOPosterboy/20130829_152719.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v247/JNCOPosterboy/20130829_155035.jpg

Block Letter EASTMAN (80s/90s) - Mostly used as an art signature, you see this a lot on earlier published Turtles work

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v247/JNCOPosterboy/20130829_160154.jpg

Stylized KBE (Early 80's) - Another art signature, though I've seen it done in letters to friends as well on occasion. The stylized KBE looks different on almost every piece. This was primarily used PRIOR to Mirage and the Turtles.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v247/JNCOPosterboy/20130829_160209.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v247/JNCOPosterboy/20130829_160223.jpg

"BROOKS" (Early 80's) - While I don't have a piece within arms length to show right now, Kevin occasionally signed "BROOKS" very early on in his underground career. Brooks is his middle name.

I hope you found this post useful :-)

This is a most excellent tutorial. Where else do you find this stuff, thanks!

On 5/23/2021 at 6:16 PM, sorrenmj said:

Always remember...asking price means nothing when determining the value of an item.

On 1/15/2014 at 1:57 AM, spracknetch23 said:

I love how the reprints in most cases had completely different cover art (and usually new back-up stories). That's what inspired me to collect the entire run including reprints.

Me too and glad I did as they're crazy expensive, especially the reprint of #4 - for some reason? I wonder why #4 has become so expensive?

1 hour ago, sorrenmj said:

Me too and glad I did as they're crazy expensive, especially the reprint of #4 - for some reason? I wonder why #4 has become so expensive?

It’s always been expensive. It’s the cover used for the original NES game.

image.jpeg.a0f8613d6b9ae66546e6ac800c175806.jpeg

3 minutes ago, jaybuck43 said:

It’s always been expensive. It’s the cover used for the original NES game.

image.jpeg.a0f8613d6b9ae66546e6ac800c175806.jpeg

I think I got mine for something like $6 in 2006? Now they're hundreds. I think this is the most expensive reprint, outside of issue 1 maybe?

1 hour ago, sorrenmj said:

I think I got mine for something like $6 in 2006? Now they're hundreds. I think this is the most expensive reprint, outside of issue 1 maybe?

It's one of them.  2's second and even third print have jumped up a bunch lately and 7's second print was always hot as well because people claim it's first Krang (it's not).  The hottest of the 4 second print though is not this one, it's the error second print that used the art from Tales #1.  That one has always been a $1000+ book.

3 hours ago, jaybuck43 said:

It's one of them.  2's second and even third print have jumped up a bunch lately and 7's second print was always hot as well because people claim it's first Krang (it's not).  The hottest of the 4 second print though is not this one, it's the error second print that used the art from Tales #1.  That one has always been a $1000+ book.

You are right, issue 2 is very close. I wonder why number four is in demand. Is it the artwork? It is gorgeous artwork

It’s the best turtle cover and one of the most iconic because it crossed two genres comics and video games . It’s also extremely difficult to get in ultra high grade . Perfect storm and one I think that continues to climb in price . Easily one of my fav covers . The error edition is another unicorn in high grade . 

On 5/26/2021 at 2:50 AM, Subby1938 said:

Issue 4 is one of my favs and so are the variants that come with it. I love my copies . I purchased second print and error off eBay raw in 2010 for 80.00 US if I recall . Amazing books!!!

64BB039E-B982-4B77-9323-1F08D9895B7C.jpeg

5C6A2614-FE45-49F2-9F80-16D4792CF524.png

91610733-B0B9-42C1-B97F-330A691945B6.png

8DCA08C7-0149-44AD-8387-08EA11517CA8.png

Amazing. You are the envy of page 353 of this board! You made a smart move in 2010 buying these. Good for you @Subby1938