• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
24 24

8,352 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Gazoony said:

Thanks! I'm really proud of my books, but there's a few people here in this thread that put me to shame. 

But I'm happy with what I have and have a few of them to thank for helping me with my collection so far. 😎🐢

You are only six shy of perfection yourself! You're very close

19 minutes ago, Subby1938 said:

What does the point system mean on the cgc 9.8s? They get higher points for harder to find 9.8s?

If you mean the registry? Price value and etc plays a part...

3 minutes ago, Subby1938 said:

The numbers in the column with points? Explanation or breakdown ?

4C1C1D02-09E4-4D5C-A18F-C09403D7C1F5.png

I'm not sure what you're asking....

That's just what 9.8 are worth for every issue that I said rarity value and etc 

If you go to the registry page and click upon the registry tab, click the letter t, go down to the volume of books set you're wondering about,  and click on a set then click on each issue....

Lol that's a lot, you can find out in universal, what grades below 9.8 are worth 

The registry value doesnt directly affect the monetary value

It's just what cgc has designated it as, for sets to compete according to their algorithms of value rarity census numbers and etc

Ahhh ok . I had no idea that CGC had values attached to books . What would they use to calculate these numbers ? Auctions , eBay ? I’ve never seen this before I’ll have to compare them to go collect and whatever else is out there as a guide 

I can already see some huge under valued books example issue 4 second print in 9.8 is one expensive comic so that value is out the window cgc has . I’ll take it with grain of salt it’s for a baseline of some sort . Obviously our market has taken off 

Edited by Subby1938

7 minutes ago, Subby1938 said:

Ahhh ok . I had no idea that CGC had values attached to books . What would they use to calculate these numbers ? Auctions , eBay ? I’ve never seen this before I’ll have to compare them to go collect and whatever else is out there as a guide 

I can already see some huge under valued books example issue 4 second print in 9.8 is one expensive comic so that value is out the window cgc has . I’ll take it with grain of salt it’s for a baseline of some sort . Obviously our market has taken off 

Those are registry points. It has literally nothing to do with what the value of the book is. There’s an entire section of the boards where people argue with Cgc to change registry points. For some reason, first print 3 is double the points in a 9.8 that a first print 2 is... yet 2 is the first appearance of April O Neil. Honestly, the entire turtles registry probably needs a redoing but it is what it is.

8 hours ago, jaybuck43 said:

Those are registry points. It has literally nothing to do with what the value of the book is. There’s an entire section of the boards where people argue with Cgc to change registry points. For some reason, first print 3 is double the points in a 9.8 that a first print 2 is... yet 2 is the first appearance of April O Neil. Honestly, the entire turtles registry probably needs a redoing but it is what it is.

Well value of the book does affect how much registry points a book gets, but as I was try to clear up for @Subby1938 the points themselves aren't "monetary values" they're just the points asigned in the registry and are there for competition purposes. While the registry points aren't a price guide nor monetary values themselves, the value of a book it's rarity in grade and census population in the census all play apart.

I tried to be sincerely clear that it is not a price guide as more than one criteria is at play for how many ever points are assigned 

On 6/1/2021 at 9:23 AM, Namtak said:

I still crave for those ....its imprinted in my memory.its been so many years but damn id like some lol

12f249e96f71034205b58ebb56219c82.jpg

054d125e78f9cefe79a0e32dd5eee393-1.jpg

It's been posted before, but the cookies, cereal, and these oh so tasty custard green turtle terds were delicious! Ahhh, the good ol' times. It also reminds me of when Little Debbie's Brownies and boxes of treats were 99 cents. 

Turtle Custard.png

On 5/18/2021 at 12:51 AM, Gazoony said:

Hey guys, I know this isn't the WTB section but I don't get much action there, so I thought I'd try where the Turtle fans are directly. Please delete if not allowed. 

I'm looking for TMNT Vol.1 issues, #11, #13, #16, #28 and #62 in 9.8.

I know, I know, they're some of the hardest issues to get. But I thought I'd try my luck here. 

And I'm jealous of all the OA you guys have too. 😭😃🐢

There’s only 1 #16 9.8 that exists. I sold it to icculus304win for a disgusting amount of money lol 

On 2/10/2015 at 2:02 PM, Turtle said:

I've grown to somewhat dislike the error variant of the 2009 Color Special...or more accurately, the way it's perceived.

Initially, it was sent out to retailers as this was the last issue released by Mirage before the announcement of sale of TMNT to Nickelodeon (later Mirage releases were only available through Mirage). People noticed the hatching pattern in the margins on some of the pages and eventually, they sent it back to print to fix the error. I'm still unsure whether or not an actual recall was placed on the book or not, but I saw plenty of retailers still had it on their shelves and Mirage was blowing them out at $1 each for the error variant, cover price for the regular edition. Very few, if any, were "destroyed".

That portion doesn't bother me much, but the way the aftermarket has treated this is still weird to me. People latched on to the idea of "OMG an error variant, it must be worth a fortune!" despite the fact that it's nearly twice as common graded as the corrected counterpart. At the time of this writing, there are 77 error variants and 38 corrected variants on the census. Looking at GPA, the error edition reached a high price of $400-$500...the corrected version got as high as $215 even though it's the more scarce of the two. This truly seems like a case of buying the label, not the book.

I guess my real issue is that it doesn't feel like an error variant worthy of the prices it commands. Other notable error variants:

• #3 NYCC Variant - Cool story, tougher to find than the regular edition, difference from regular variant is noticeable from the cover
  • #4 2nd print - Right logo but wrong cover, tougher to find than regular edition, difference from regular variant is noticeable from the cover
  • #1 Jetpack Error - Smaller second batch was reprinted with an orange cover instead of a red cover, tougher to find than the regular edition, difference from the regular variant is noticeable from the cover (this one is the one to watch in my book :gossip: )

The books listed above all have an interesting story to go with it and were all missing something that was present in the regular release. The 2009 color special error's story is bland. No art was altered, the story didn't change, and the difference, and nothing was missing from the original "error" release.

So that's my incredibly biased, completely skewed take on it. I hope it shined some light on the subject. If you're looking for a price range, the error variant is worth roughly 50-100% more than the regular edition.

I feel the same way. I rarely see the corrected printed versions for sale