• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A little corner of the UK
2 2

9,411 posts in this topic

Damn, pop to london on business and thought I would go and get some fill of comics, but...

Where the hell did Gosh go?

Why is there no more Comicana / A Place in Space?

And why is FP is still such a hole?

:sorry:

Edited by Waylander

Damn, pop to london on business and though I would go and get some fill of comics, but...

Where the hell did Gosh go?

Why is there no more Comicana / A Place n Space?

And why is FP is still such a hole?

:sorry:

I hadn't heard that Gosh had gone?

Last I heard A Place In Space was in the process of relocating...that was Feb this year?

It's comics for masses and I would think that for FP...comics are only a small part of their trade but I could be wrong (shrug)

Gosh has moved somewhere else in London. Didn't Comicana sell out to Orbital or someone? The guy from Comicana was selling 50p books at Super Con.

I always get confused by this, there was Stateside which became Mighty World of Comicana and now you've got Nick as Comicana Direct. Wasn't Mcalpine involved with Comicana at one time?

I guess the London comic world is pretty small.

FP should be avoided wherever they are.

I know, but I needed to visit somewhere where I could hear comic geeks geeking out... :cloud9:

Alas that is not FP, blooming pit.

Living in Old Jersey is like being in solitary - no effing comic shops.

Gosh has moved somewhere else in London. Didn't Comicana sell out to Orbital or someone? The guy from Comicana was selling 50p books at Super Con.

I always get confused by this, there was Stateside which became Mighty World of Comicana and now you've got Nick as Comicana Direct. Wasn't Mcalpine involved with Comicana at one time?

I guess the London comic world is pretty small.

The Comicana saga is a book in its own right, however, if Nick and John are involved with anything to do with comics, it will always be top notch (thumbs u

FP should be avoided wherever they are.

I know, but I needed to visit somewhere where I could hear comic geeks geeking out... :cloud9:

Alas that is not FP, blooming pit.

Living in Old Jersey is like being in solitary - no effing comic shops.

I live in Newcastle and FP is the only real choice, which is no choice at all...it wasn't always this way, FP bought out the competition and ruined everything.

APIS is still in Croydon and has been there for a while. They also took over Comicana, then had to move when the lease on the building ran out. I had thought they were planning to relocate that store somewhere in central London and keep the Croydon one, but seems not.

Orbital is still going strong and has a reasonable back issue selection. Then of course there is FP - other than those three I'm not sure what the central options are.

I was lucky to have been in London when the comic shops were at their peak, mid 80s to early 90s.  I don't bother visiting them anymore when I'm down there.

APIS is still in Croydon and has been there for a while. They also took over Comicana, then had to move when the lease on the building ran out. I had thought they were planning to relocate that store somewhere in central London and keep the Croydon one, but seems not.

Orbital is still going strong and has a reasonable back issue selection. Then of course there is FP - other than those three I'm not sure what the central options are.

Sorry that's what I meant!

I can remember the good old days when the indoor markets in Newport & Cardiff had stalls selling comics dirt cheap...some of the comics weren't in the greatest condition but that didn't matter in those days it was all about the reading and not the collecting of comic books

I truly am a child of the 1970's :cloud9: