• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A little corner of the UK
2 2

9,411 posts in this topic

I remember those places - especially the store next to Jack Hatfields on Borough Road.

I would still takes these over what we have today which is one FP on the whole of teesside.

If I am in town I usually walk in and out within 30 seconds.

Other than that I do not know of any comic stores till you either go up to New castle or down to York.

Very poor.

Jack Hatfield's :cloud9:

I also remember another "Bookshop" on Borough Road. It sold, books, mags and toys. A little bit like FP, but with blacked out windows :whistle:

Before I headed south, and away from the treasure chest that was Book's 'n' Comics, I also used to buy a lot of comics from a run down second hand book store in the precinct near to the post office (Down the side of McDonalds). The elderly owner had a huge amount of midgrade bronze and copper stock and very little knowledge about them. I picked up a mid grade run of Daredevil (50 - 200) and about a longbox full of Fantastic Fours for about 20p an issue. All great reader copies. I've still got the DD's and sold the FF's for 50p each a few years later.

I've only ever been in the Boro FP once and like you, I managed about 30 seconds.

Redcar car boot sale was also good to spot some bargains. That's where I picked up my run of Marvel Super Heroes, Hulk Weeky's and Spidey Weekly's for 10p each

Mmmmmm....UK reprints :)

I remember the shop that you are talking about - it was on the opposite side of where the post office was on Grange Road. They also had books, records, CD's, videos - a virtual treasure trove of quality junk. I used to go in regularly before I started collecting again and thumb through the comics. They closed down a few years ago, virtually over night, and I always wondered what happened to all of their stuff.

Yeah he just disappeared - must have a stack of comics and books in his loft.

I also remember the guy who did the llocal markets - he would do Stockton, North Ormesby and whatever others were local. Remember buying Marvel Team Up 100 from him. :cloud9:

The owner must have been 80+ when I shopped there. He probably passed on and his wife probably just off-loaded the whole stock to another second hand book dealer.

Odd's are, with the amount Arsenalherd has been buying up recently he's sitting on most of them.

The owner must have been 80+ when I shopped there. He probably passed on and his wife probably just off-loaded the whole stock to another second hand book dealer.

Odd's are, with the amount Arsenalherd has been buying up recently he's sitting on most of them.

yes I need more, hoarder here lol

Do you have to crawl through your house?

Maybe a stack has fallen on him...

Death by comics :insane:

Maybe a stack has fallen on him...

Death by comics :insane:

Box loads of X-Force #1s bought from Stryfe lol

I'm still cataloguing my long boxes for you. 890 floppies down, probably another 5000 to go :(

Does anyone know if helper monkey's make good graders???

I'm still cataloguing my long boxes for you. 890 floppies down, probably another 5000 to go :(

I don't wanna know bout your floppys situation

That's one way to press them.

I don't wanna know bout your floppys situation

Over 30 years of floppies are causing a bit of tension between me and the wife. She's desperate for me to sort it out.