• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ROBOJO 33 DISCUSSION Thread WARNING! ROBOJO inside!

422 posts in this topic

Everything I buy raw gets listed raw.

Everything I buy slabbed gets listed slabbed.

No exceptions.

AHEM!!!!!

Do you ever stop lying?

Would you sell an obviously NM book as a 7.5? Have you ever seen a grossly undergraded book?

here again is a grosly overgraded book:

http://i497.photobucket.com/albums/rr337/Robotics223/AS44CGC80.jpg

When I do list this, it will be mentioned that in my opinion, it is no better than VG/FN to FN-.

Given this 5.0 in an 8.0 slab, is it conceivable that a 9.4 quality book may be given a 7.5?

Haven't we all seen many CGC 7.5s that later were graded 9.0 to 9.4 without any visible difference in the appearance of the comic and no mention made of all the grades it's received on previous submissions?

Now, cracking an undergraded book out of a slab is a bad thing?

I thought it was a good thing at times.

Can you please explain to me when cracking what one believes to be a horribly misgraded book out to offer it as it's honestly perceived to be is a good thing and when it's a bad thing?

Is it only a bad thing when I'm the one who recognized it fr what it was? I did pay a NM price for it, did used to show it to people as an example of gross undergrading and made it very clear to all I showed it to that when the time ame to offer it, it would be offered as it really was and as it was bought.

That's what it was doing in my very public file. I mde no secret of that book or the X-Men #65 or the AS #44. Those three books were my "grossly overgraded and undergraded" examples that I sent when people ask why I don't guarantee the grades..

I'll offer the AS #44 this Sunday and call the grade like it is, just like I called the grade for what it is on the GL #40 and X-men #65, two books that have flabbergasted anyone I showed them to in those slabs.

you are still nothing but a liar Perry...you lied in the quote below, just like you are still lying now. We see you for what you are...why can't you?

No exceptions.

AHEM!!!!!

No exceptions.

No exceptions.

No exceptions.

No exceptions.

No exceptions.

No exceptions.

No exceptions.

No exceptions.

Once again. I didn't buy it or pay a percentage based on it being a CGC 7.5 . I bought it as a raw NM, in a CGC slab and paid a pecentage of the raw NM price at the time.

IMO and the opnion of the seller, it was a raw NM, we were in complete agreement on that. I imaged it to use as an example of why I don't submit and had no intention of leaving a gorgeous book in what IMO was an undergraded slab.

I made no secret of the fact to many that when I did sell it, it would be raw because IMO, the 7.5 finding had no bearing on the true condition of the book.

Here's a 9.0 that auctioned a few days ago. Does this look better than either of the two books of mine being questioned?

IMO, that' a 7.0 or 7.5 in a 9.0 slab. Sold for almost $1000. Is anyone concerned about that book not being a 9.0? If not, why isn't anyone concerned?

Becaue CGC graded it 9.0 so it's a 9.0? What do you think the winner would get if he resubbed it now?

Grading is subjective and a seller is entitled to his honest opinion. Is every CGC 7.5 really a 9.0 to 9.4? Or every 9.2 or 9.4 susceptible to receiving a lowball grade? Of course not, but these two did, just likethe AS 44 received a higher grade than it deserved, as did the AS #50 obviously, from the 7.0-like wear present on it.

That's why books are resubbed. When an owner disagrees with CGC and feels the book is deserving of reconsideration.

Is a person allowed to buy CGC books and pay based on a grade that differs from what CGC called it? Absolutely.

I bought these as raw NMs to specifically sell raw and I made no secret of that. One unrestored, one restored. Showed them to many many people in email attachemtns, which is why they were in my public files!

Unfortunately, I didn't have the luxury of a return on the VG/FN AS #44 in an 8.0 slab.

Being a CGC graded book, although I disagreed with the finding of 8.0, I wasn't afforded the opportunity of a return and ate it and I'lltake the los when I sell it with my true grade opinion, which I will state becaue I do offer returns on CGC graded material, lousy seller that I am.

No exceptions.

AHEM!!!!!

Do you ever stop lying?

double post :sumo:
you see...you posted this in an attempt to deceive....now you're caught with your head up your :censored: and there isnt no amount of lying and deceiving you can do to take that back. You sir are a compulsive liar....you cant stop...even when you are caught dead to rights. SAD, VERY SAD.

Regardless of what I state, you will believe exactly what you want to believe and nothing more or less. That's why I don't post here often. It's time consuming and pointless. The questions override my answers and I'm asked over an over again for answers to questions that I've answered.

I'm not caught at anything. If I were hiding the X-Men #65 and GL #40, they wouldnot be in my public profile. I've showed those scan to dozens of hobbyists and made it quite clear what I thought of them. They were describe by me as the most grossly undergraded two slabs I've ever seen, which is why I bought them to sell raw, as NMs, which is what I based my percentage on when I paid for them.

I also showed the AS #44 and explained that when I sold it, I woul take a loss because I offer returns on CGC slabs and would not represent it as an 8.0, but as a 5.0 quality book in an 8.0 slab. It's horrible. It's as badly overgraded and the Xmen and GL 40 were undergraded.

:golfclap::golfclap:

good job...you've convinced yourself it appears, but your BS is falling on deaf ears here.

Oh ...and I love this part

"I bought it as a raw NM, in a CGC slab "

classic (worship)

well good night all....I cant argue with compounded lie after lie after lie any longer. zzz

No exceptions.

AHEM!!!!!

Do you ever stop lying?

double post :sumo:
you see...you posted this in an attempt to deceive....now you're caught with your head up your :censored: and there isnt no amount of lying and deceiving you can do to take that back. You sir are a compulsive liar....you cant stop...even when you are caught dead to rights. SAD, VERY SAD.

Regardless of what I state, you will believe exactly what you want to believe and nothing more or less. That's why I don't post here often. It's time consuming and pointless. The questions override my answers and I'm asked over an over again for answers to questions that I've answered.

I'm not caught at anything. If I were hiding the X-Men #65 and GL #40, they wouldnot be in my public profile. I've showed those scan to dozens of hobbyists and made it quite clear what I thought of them. They were describe by me as the most grossly undergraded two slabs I've ever seen, which is why I bought them to sell raw, as NMs, which is what I based my percentage on when I paid for them.

I also showed the AS #44 and explained that when I sold it, I woul take a loss because I offer returns on CGC slabs and would not represent it as an 8.0, but as a 5.0 quality book in an 8.0 slab. It's horrible. It's as badly overgraded and the Xmen and GL 40 were undergraded.

:signfunny:

No exceptions.

AHEM!!!!!

Do you ever stop lying?

Would you sell an obviously NM book as a 7.5? Have you ever seen a grossly undergraded book?

here again is a grosly overgraded book:

When I do list this, it will be mentioned that in my opinion, it is no better than VG/FN to FN-.

Given this 5.0 in an 8.0 slab, is it conceivable that a 9.4 quality book may be given a 7.5?

Haven't we all seen many CGC 7.5s that later were graded 9.0 to 9.4 without any visible difference in the appearance of the comic and no mention made of all the grades it's received on previous submissions?

Now, cracking an undergraded book out of a slab is a bad thing?

I thought it was a good thing at times.

Can you please explain to me when cracking what one believes to be a horribly misgraded book out to offer it as it's honestly perceived to be is a good thing and when it's a bad thing?

Is it only a bad thing when I'm the one who recognized it fr what it was? I did pay a NM price for it, did used to show it to people as an example of gross undergrading and made it very clear to all I showed it to that when the time ame to offer it, it would be offered as it really was and as it was bought.

That's what it was doing in my very public file. I mde no secret of that book or the X-Men #65 or the AS #44. Those three books were my "grossly overgraded and undergraded" examples that I sent when people ask why I don't guarantee the grades..

I'll offer the AS #44 this Sunday and call the grade like it is, just like I called the grade for what it is on the GL #40 and X-men #65, two books that have flabbergasted anyone I showed them to in those slabs.

you are still nothing but a liar Perry...you lied in the quote below, just like you are still lying now. We see you for what you are...why can't you?

No exceptions.

AHEM!!!!!

And I'll state it for the fifth time. You have a personal grudge, so you're not going to accept the actual explanation. Ask yourself, why would I keep those scans in my file public?

Because it was no secret. There are exceptions to the rule.

My seller on the GL 40 would not have sold me the book as a CGC 7.5. He left it in the case becaue I wanted to scan it in person. Same with the X-Men #65, and the ame wih the overgraded AS #44.

Those three exception to the rule were the three grossest examples of under and overgrading, and they were in my public file because I shared them with many hobbyists and the same story that goes with them as I've stated here. I'll see if I can find some of those many emails about the GL 40, X-Men 65, and AS #44 that I sent to hobbyists about the subjectivity of grading.

Is CGC at fault? No. Absolutely not. On that day, that's the way they called them. grading is subjective, buy the book, not the label.

haven't we seen CGC 9.0s go for the price of a 7.0 because bidder opinion is that it was overgraded? And the converse?

You're in this hobby, and I have to convince ou that there are under and overgraded books? The GL 40 was once graded CGC 9.2! The owner thought it to be a 9.4 and was given a 7.5 for his efforts.

Is that any stranger than a submittor with an AS#121 having a book returned with a purple label after two blue submisions?

You're only arguingthe point becaue it's me. If it were anyone else, you'd look at the slabbed scan, at the auction image, and say, "Man, that sure doesn't look like a 7.5 to me", and you'd be correct in thinking that.

No exceptions.

No exceptions.

No exceptions.

No exceptions.

No exceptions.

No exceptions.

No exceptions.

No exceptions.

Once again. I didn't buy it or pay a percentage based on it being a CGC 7.5 . I bought it as a raw NM, in a CGC slab and paid a pecentage of the raw NM price at the time.

IMO and the opnion of the seller, it was a raw NM, we were in complete agreement on that. I imaged it to use as an example of why I don't submit and had no intention of leaving a gorgeous book in what IMO was an undergraded slab.

I made no secret of the fact to many that when I did sell it, it would be raw because IMO, the 7.5 finding had no bearing on the true condition of the book.

Here's a 9.0 that auctioned a few days ago. Does this look better than either of the two books of mine being questioned?

IMO, that' a 7.0 or 7.5 in a 9.0 slab. Sold for almost $1000. Is anyone concerned about that book not being a 9.0? If not, why isn't anyone concerned?

Becaue CGC graded it 9.0 so it's a 9.0? What do you think the winner would get if he resubbed it now?

Grading is subjective and a seller is entitled to his honest opinion. Is every CGC 7.5 really a 9.0 to 9.4? Or every 9.2 or 9.4 susceptible to receiving a lowball grade? Of course not, but these two did, just likethe AS 44 received a higher grade than it deserved, as did the AS #50 obviously, from the 7.0-like wear present on it.

That's why books are resubbed. When an owner disagrees with CGC and feels the book is deserving of reconsideration.

Is a person allowed to buy CGC books and pay based on a grade that differs from what CGC called it? Absolutely.

I bought these as raw NMs to specifically sell raw and I made no secret of that. One unrestored, one restored. Showed them to many many people in email attachemtns, which is why they were in my public files!

Unfortunately, I didn't have the luxury of a return on the VG/FN AS #44 in an 8.0 slab.

Being a CGC graded book, although I disagreed with the finding of 8.0, I wasn't afforded the opportunity of a return and ate it and I'lltake the los when I sell it with my true grade opinion, which I will state becaue I do offer returns on CGC graded material, lousy seller that I am.

All I want to know is why you don't disclose to bidders that your Raw books were originally bought graded and what that particular grade was?

what seems to be sheer folly is the fact that you have these GEMS, for example, an Amazing Spider-man 2 in NM+ condition, apparently unrestored, and you are willing to sell it for a fraction of what it is worth because you don't want to wait 20 business days for it to come back from cgc. All I'm saying is, if I had these books and I knew them to be unrestored, I sure as heck would be trying to maximize their value by sending them in to a grading company.

Or maybe you are pretty confident it will not come back a blue labeled 9.6

So although raw eBay sellers do not guarantee CGC grades, I'm to be held to that implauible standard of guaranteering numerical grades on every listing?

To be fair, I think that would be unrealistic, but if you'd care to wager on the ASM #2...

I already did pose a wager. On it being unrestored. I was wrongly accused of listing a restored comic as unrestored. Nobody seems to want any part of backing up that accusation and accepting my wager. Not even the one(s) that made the accusations or commented on it. The gears were switched fairly quickly when I made that wager to a proposed wager that no seller of a raw comic in their right mind would make.

Dude! I can understand that with a restoration guarantee clearly stated in your auction, you aren't going to gain much by trying to sell restored books; no interest here in wagering purely based on restored / unrestored. Please humor me... Would you be willing to wager $5K, where you win if it comes back unrestored 9.6 or better and other party wins if it comes back 9.4 or lower. This bet is clearly stacked in your favor IF you truly believe it is an unrestored 9.6... Plus if you win, that should silence some of the skeptics, right?

I don't bet. To me, the wager that the AS 2 is unrestored is a sure thing. I wouldn't wager my hard earned money if I thought I stood even an infinitesmal chance of losing. I'm not a gambler. Submission is gambling. You just don't know. I can't wager on the outcome where chance plays a major part on the result. I know what it should grade, but I can't guarantee if it will grade a particular number, and I won't wager if I stand a chance to lose.

Waking up soon this morning and reading all the posts, I just couldn't resist to jump into the discussion. I never bought from you so I will not make any accusations and will try to stay as objective as possible.

Although I trust CGC when comes time to restoration checking, I agree with you that submission to CGC is sometimes "gambling", although I would prefer to use the term "irregular". I did send a few books to CGC myself and would say that 40% came back about as expected, 30% much better than expected (like I graded 8.5 and they came back 9.2) and 30% worse than expected (like I graded 9.0 and they came back 8.0). There are also a few CGC 8.5 that I have bought for myself on eBay or Comiclink that were, IMHO, much better than condition. I was happy with those and did crack them to put them into my personal collection. On the other hand, I was often disappointed by some CGC 9.2 that had defects that would not deserve a better grade than 8.5.

The same book can be resubmitted more than once and get a different grade, in either direction, I also agree with you about that. Grading is art not a science. I prefer to buy raw accurately graded comic books from reputable sellers with whom I have done business in the past and which have excellent reputation. I prefer to have raw comic books in my collection. "Buy the book, not the label", I agree with that.

HOWEVER, this is not the point here. If I had a ASM 2 that I think had a little chance of getting a grade of 9.6, and I wanted to sell it, there is ABSOLUTELY no doubt in my mind that I would send it to CGC, despite the time and trouble. The difference in potential value is too important to do anything else. We are not talking about a GI Joe #1 here, but a ASM #2. If I wanted to sell all the 9.4/9.6 expensive key books that I do have in my collection, I would send them to CGC to increase my profit. When I look at some of your raw 9.4/9.6 books that would sell for many more thousands dollars if they were graded, it just doesn't make sense to me. That is why I did never dare buying from you in the past even before people did start talking about you. And obviously, with all the bad reputation you now have and research that some members have done about your books and their history, you would have all in your favor to send expensive books to CGC, but you still do not ?

Obviously you love making money since you list so many books on eBay. Why would you not love making even more money by sending a true 9.6 ASM #2 to CGC in order to be professionally graded ? Can you explain this to me ?

No exceptions.

No exceptions.

No exceptions.

No exceptions.

No exceptions.

No exceptions.

No exceptions.

No exceptions.

All I want to know is why you don't disclose to bidders that your Raw books were originally bought graded and what that particular grade was?

Because my raw books, in general, are not bought slabbed. Should I make something up when I offer books that have never been slabbed to my knowledge?

I'll go one better. When auction houses that and sellers are selling book that have had 2 to 5 grade bumps since their initial CGC grading, books that somtimes go from CGC 4.0 to 6.0 to 7.5, to 9.2, in some cases (and you can see the history of these grade bumps from past auction images), why isn't it mentioned in the listing, "This book was graded 5 times by CGC. The first time was in Nov. 2003, when it was given a 7.5 Blue label. Then the second time it was given a purple label 8.0. A third submission yielded a CGC Blue label 7.0, and the fourth time, a blue label 8.5. The final time it was submitted, 3 months ago, it finally got what we felt it deserved all along, a bluelabel 9.2".

Curiously, with all this talk about how inherently evil it is to disagree with a subjective CGC grade, and how bad it is to crack open a slab, I've never seen one auction in any venue where a seller listed all the prior grades on a CGC graded or raw book! And if CGC gave the same book 5 different grades, five different times, are they wrong four of the times and only correct once? Of course not. The answer is that they were correct each time they graded it. They saw it differenly each time becaue grading is subjective, whether people getting paid to grade are doing it or people that don't get paid to grade. The very nature of grading is subjective.

Th above scenario impossible, you say? I can guide you to a place where the same comics appear with many differently graded labels far more than twice and not a word is mentioned of it in the listing.

Add to that the many times that one of these ever-changing labeled books has been graded in the past 40 years by graders other than CGC and you've got alot of differnt opinions to consider. Whose is right? The only ones that matter in the case of any sold item is the buyer and seller and if they are in agreement.

You're asking me to be unfairly held to a higher standard than any other seller in the hobby.

I already hold myself to a higher standard than any other seller because I have the only all inclusive resto guarantee, uaranteeing the return of all fees associated with the grading and the postage in the event of a purple return on an unrestored item, and I'm the only seller I know of that allows returns on CGC/PGX graded items, because I well know that sometimes there is disagreement over the CGC or PGX grade, and I don't want a buyer to get stuck with a book like the AS #44 I did:

Everything I buy raw gets listed raw.Everything I buy slabbed gets listed slabbed.No exceptions.
AHEM!!!!!Do you ever stop lying?
Would you sell an obviously NM book as a 7.5? Have you ever seen a grossly undergraded book?here again is a grosly overgraded book:http://i497.photobucket.com/albums/rr337/Robotics223/AS44CGC80.jpgWhen I do list this, it will be mentioned that in my opinion, it is no better than VG/FN to FN-.Given this 5.0 in an 8.0 slab, is it conceivable that a 9.4 quality book may be given a 7.5?Haven't we all seen many CGC 7.5s that later were graded 9.0 to 9.4 without any visible difference in the appearance of the comic and no mention made of all the grades it's received on previous submissions?Now, cracking an undergraded book out of a slab is a bad thing?I thought it was a good thing at times.Can you please explain to me when cracking what one believes to be a horribly misgraded book out to offer it as it's honestly perceived to be is a good thing and when it's a bad thing?Is it only a bad thing when I'm the one who recognized it fr what it was? I did pay a NM price for it, did used to show it to people as an example of gross undergrading and made it very clear to all I showed it to that when the time ame to offer it, it would be offered as it really was and as it was bought.That's what it was doing in my very public file. I mde no secret of that book or the X-Men #65 or the AS #44. Those three books were my "grossly overgraded and undergraded" examples that I sent when people ask why I don't guarantee the grades..I'll offer the AS #44 this Sunday and call the grade like it is, just like I called the grade for what it is on the GL #40 and X-men #65, two books that have flabbergasted anyone I showed them to in those slabs.
Everything I buy raw gets listed raw.Everything I buy slabbed gets listed slabbed.No exceptions.
AHEM!!!!!
I can understand your adamance about lying. When you first reported on the forum that you bought a horribly overgraded AS #9 from me,ou stated that, "it took me three to four months to issue you a refund". The refund was actually issued within 24 hours of my receiving the comic back.Then you implied that CGC found it restored, but that wasn't the case either. It later graded blue.Then in another thread, you started, you stated that I had sold Dusrob 8 restored books as unrestored. A check through my paypal account verified the sale of 7 restored books and one unrestored book to Dusrob, all of which were listed as restored (that's all he bought except for on lone unrestored, mid-high grade batman #200). 170236576988 TALES OF SUSPENSE #99 Appt. NM- 9.2 (RESTORED) 1 $28.00 USD $28.00 USD

180224340021 AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #60 Appt. MINT- 9.9 RESTORED 1 $102.50 USD $102.50 USD

170202128401 AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #33 Appt. MINT- 9.9 RESTORED 1 $249.95 USD $249.95 USD

170202107323 AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #57 Appt. NM+ 9.6 RESTORED 1 $49.95 USD $49.95 USD

150226498670 THOR #170 Appt. NM+ 9.6 1 $26.00 USD $26.00 USD

150226174320 AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #56 Appt. NM- 9.2 RESTORED 1 $34.95 USD $34.95 USD

170197611603 BATMAN #200 NM- 9.2 1 $64.25 USD $64.25 USD

170191221474 AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #135 Appt. VF/NM PUNISHER 1 $10.35 USD $10.35 USD

Follow up email with Dusrob confirmed what I suspected happened:Date: 9/13/08 9:12:41 AM Eastern Daylight Time
To: Robotics223@aol.com

hey, i sold the spm #33 as restored and had no problem with that, that guy asked me if the restored cgc books i had on ebay were from you (wish i had that email) all i said was yes i bought them from you, that really pisses me off that he is putting words i my mouth, are those comments up on some cgc board that i can respond too.
thanks

>Dear Robbie, Then you're not aware of the whole story. Here's exactly what happened. Someone had posted that after seeing your listing for a Spiderman #33, restored label CGC, he had contacted you and asked from whom you bought it. This fellow stated that you told him "from Robojo33, and it was supposed to be unrestored". Not only that, he stated that you went on to say, "all of the comics he sold me turned out to be restored, but were supposed to be unrestored". In other words, he was stating that you told him that I deliberately misrepresented restored comics as unrestored comics, and I should burn in hell, or something to that effect (in which case if someone really did that to you, they should, and I'd be the first one to fan the flames). After I looked up the paypal transactions and saw they were all listed as restored, I couldn't figure out who was telling the truth! Now, the answer is quite clear. By mistake, you thought the Thor was unrestored (but it was listed as restored). After your correspondance with the trouble-maker, he ran with the ball, lied about the content of your email, and embellished the rest of the story to fit his agenda, then when I "called him out" on it, he again lied saying that I should "take it up with you because he only repeated exactly what you told him in your email". This now makes sense, his using you for his own agenda. Most recently, he lied about the details concerning a Spiderman 9 unrestored VF/NM that he purchased from me in January. He falsely reported that I "fought him for a refund", and finally, when I gave in and agreed to refund his money on a "poorly graded piece of trash", it took me over 2 months to do so! So I went back to my records, which indicated that he paid for it in on January 15th, received it on January 22nd, and received his refund on February 2nd, the day I received the comic back!! 2 and a half weeks from paying for it!, not 2 to 3 months of chasing me for a refund! A repeat of the same way he twisted and turned facts, embellishing his own story after corresponding with you about the AS 33. The #9 he returned was relisted as a VF/NM (same grade), won, paid for, and the buyer submitted it to CGC and received back a blue label 8.5 (so much for it being "a piece of trash"). Now that I've "spoken" with you, I'm going to reinstate your full bidding capabilities with me. Very sorry to have temporarily blocked you, but I had to until I had a chance to sort this out with you for the truth. Thank you Robbie for bearing with me and your input. Perry
The truth is in the ear of the beholder. And like I stated, you have a huge grudge with me over some perceived wrong over a VF/NM AS #9 that was later graded CGC 8.5 blue for the winning bidder on the second go around.My intention was for you to have a pleasant buying experience asthe majority do.

No exceptions.

No exceptions.

No exceptions.

No exceptions.

No exceptions.

No exceptions.

No exceptions.

No exceptions.

Because my raw books, in general, are not bought slabbed. Should I make something up when I offer books that have never been slabbed to my knowledge?

I'll go one better. When auction houses that and sellers are selling book that have had 2 to 5 grade bumps since their initial CGC grading, books that somtimes go from CGC 4.0 to 6.0 to 7.5, to 9.2, in some cases (and you can see the history of these grade bumps from past auction images), why isn't it mentioned in the listing, "This book was graded 5 times by CGC. The first time was in Nov. 2003, when it was given a 7.5 Blue label. Then the second time it was given a purple label 8.0. A third submission yielded a CGC Blue label 7.0, and the fourth time, a blue label 8.5. The final time it was submitted, 3 months ago, it finally got what we felt it deserved all along, a bluelabel 9.2".

Curiously, with all this talk about how inherently evil it is to disagree with a subjective CGC grade, and how bad it is to crack open a slab, I've never seen one auction in any venue where a seller listed all the prior grades on a CGC graded or raw book! And if CGC gave the same book 5 different grades, five different times, are they wrong four of the times and only correct once? Of course not. The answer is that they were correct each time they graded it. They saw it differenly each time becaue grading is subjective, whether people getting paid to grade are doing it or people that don't get paid to grade. The very nature of grading is subjective.

Th above scenario impossible, you say? I can guide you to a place where the same comics appear with many differently graded labels far more than twice and not a word is mentioned of it in the listing.

Add to that the many times that one of these ever-changing labeled books has been graded in the past 40 years by graders other than CGC and you've got alot of differnt opinions to consider. Whose is right? The only ones that matter in the case of any sold item is the buyer and seller and if they are in agreement.

You're asking me to be unfairly held to a higher standard than any other seller in the hobby.

I already hold myself to a higher standard than any other seller because I have the only all inclusive resto guarantee, uaranteeing the return of all fees associated with the grading and the postage in the event of a purple return on an unrestored item, and I'm the only seller I know of that allows returns on CGC/PGX graded items, because I well know that sometimes there is disagreement over the CGC or PGX grade, and I don't want a buyer to get stuck with a book like the AS #44 I did:

I somehow doubt there was ever an instance where you cracked a slab and sold it raw for at a lower grade because the book didnt deserve it.

what seems to be sheer folly is the fact that you have these GEMS, for example, an Amazing Spider-man 2 in NM+ condition, apparently unrestored, and you are willing to sell it for a fraction of what it is worth because you don't want to wait 20 business days for it to come back from cgc. All I'm saying is, if I had these books and I knew them to be unrestored, I sure as heck would be trying to maximize their value by sending them in to a grading company.

Or maybe you are pretty confident it will not come back a blue labeled 9.6

So although raw eBay sellers do not guarantee CGC grades, I'm to be held to that implauible standard of guaranteering numerical grades on every listing?

To be fair, I think that would be unrealistic, but if you'd care to wager on the ASM #2...

I already did pose a wager. On it being unrestored. I was wrongly accused of listing a restored comic as unrestored. Nobody seems to want any part of backing up that accusation and accepting my wager. Not even the one(s) that made the accusations or commented on it. The gears were switched fairly quickly when I made that wager to a proposed wager that no seller of a raw comic in their right mind would make.

Dude! I can understand that with a restoration guarantee clearly stated in your auction, you aren't going to gain much by trying to sell restored books; no interest here in wagering purely based on restored / unrestored. Please humor me... Would you be willing to wager $5K, where you win if it comes back unrestored 9.6 or better and other party wins if it comes back 9.4 or lower. This bet is clearly stacked in your favor IF you truly believe it is an unrestored 9.6... Plus if you win, that should silence some of the skeptics, right?

I don't bet. To me, the wager that the AS 2 is unrestored is a sure thing. I wouldn't wager my hard earned money if I thought I stood even an infinitesmal chance of losing. I'm not a gambler. Submission is gambling. You just don't know. I can't wager on the outcome where chance plays a major part on the result. I know what it should grade, but I can't guarantee if it will grade a particular number, and I won't wager if I stand a chance to lose.

Waking up soon this morning and reading all the posts, I just couldn't resist to jump into the discussion. I never bought from you so I will not make any accusations and will try to stay as objective as possible.

Although I trust CGC when comes time to restoration checking, I agree with you that submission to CGC is sometimes "gambling", although I would prefer to use the term "irregular". I did send a few books to CGC myself and would say that 40% came back about as expected, 30% much better than expected (like I graded 8.5 and they came back 9.2) and 30% worse than expected (like I graded 9.0 and they came back 8.0). There are also a few CGC 8.5 that I have bought for myself on eBay or Comiclink that were, IMHO, much better than condition. I was happy with those and did crack them to put them into my personal collection. On the other hand, I was often disappointed by some CGC 9.2 that had defects that would not deserve a better grade than 8.5.

The same book can be resubmitted more than once and get a different grade, in either direction, I also agree with you about that. Grading is art not a science. I prefer to buy raw accurately graded comic books from reputable sellers with whom I have done business in the past and which have excellent reputation. I prefer to have raw comic books in my collection. "Buy the book, not the label", I agree with that.

HOWEVER, this is not the point here. If I had a ASM 2 that I think had a little chance of getting a grade of 9.6, and I wanted to sell it, there is ABSOLUTELY no doubt in my mind that I would send it to CGC, despite the time and trouble. The difference in potential value is too important to do anything else. We are not talking about a GI Joe #1 here, but a ASM #2. If I wanted to sell all the 9.4/9.6 expensive key books that I do have in my collection, I would send them to CGC to increase my profit. When I look at some of your raw 9.4/9.6 books that would sell for many more thousands dollars if they were graded, it just doesn't make sense to me. That is why I did never dare buying from you in the past even before people did start talking about you. And obviously, with all the bad reputation you now have and research that some members have done about your books and their history, you would have all in your favor to send expensive books to CGC, but you still do not ?

Obviously you love making money since you list so many books on eBay. Why would you not love making even more money by sending a true 9.6 ASM #2 to CGC in order to be professionally graded ? Can you explain this to me ?

I could but I won't. I'm a guest in CGC's house and will only say good about them, and deservedly so. We have a thriving hobby due to their efforts. The hobby, without CGC would be 1/10th of what it is today, if that and if anyone doesn't believe that they're kidding themselves.

I have many reasons, some of which there is no way to state without appearing negative about CGC and I will not do that.

I would expect that all my $500 and up comics are being submitted to CGC. I encourage it, but it's not for me due to observations I've made that I will not absolutely not go into here.

From my listings:

As my regular buyers well know, on a whole, my comics do very well at CGC. Some grade slightly higher than the grades I list them at, an equal number grade slightly lower, and the majority grade the same, most notably of late an AS #129 that I listed at NM/MT that was graded 9.8 by CGC, an AS #9 I listed as NM/NM+ (meaning a high end 9.4, but not quite a solid 9.6) that was CGC graded 9.4, an AS #37 that I Iisted as 9.2, I was given a negative on by the buyer for "overgrading", yet 2 months later was graded CGC 9.4 for the second chance buyer, and many, many others.

In other words, there is an averaging out when it comes to the subjective art of grading, even among the best.

I lay it all on the line right here. Some will grade the same, some will grade lower and some may grade higher. It's in my best interests for winners to score well at CGC with my books,and in some cases where they didn't, I made adjustments. I want my winners to come back and bid again. No bidders, and the prices are nil.

When we talk about sunjective grading, an interesting story. My two best AS 129s were listed a month apart.Bot raw NM/MT 9.8s. I've never seen two books so close inshape, color, gloss, wearlesness, etc.

At one time I had about two dozen AS 129s and had them in grade order.

The second best was auctioned first, at raw 9.8 unrestored, and it received a CGC 9.8 for the winning bidder! he got a $12,000 book (at the time) for a $4100 bid.

What I thought was the best one of all 24, and very slightly superior to the second best by virtue of centering, I graded NM/MT 9.8. That one went for $3750 and it was given a CGC 9.4!

Now I had a chance to grade and examine both books side by side under strong light and 5 power magnification, and the one that graded 9.4 was superior IMO to the 9.8.

The outcome: The buyer that got the 9.4 returned it for a refund which I allowed. If he's a watcher, perhaps he'll verify this. perhaps he won't for fear of talking his lump for buying from me.

Concerning the 129 that graded 9.8, did I lose $8,000? Hardly. I made $3000, because I bought the comic for $1000 few year back, as a raw NM/MT.

Do I still have the AS 129 that I raw graded NMMT and CGC graded 9.4? Yes I do. When I sell it, it will be slabbed but mentioned as the nicest 9.4 in existance, because in the past 8 hours, I've learned what a mortal sin it is to disagree with a CGC grade.

Like I've told many hobbyists. I have many many CGC graded books. I've been waiting for the right time to sell them. The correct market prices acheived, and it's almost there.

What I'd like to know is if you never crack a slab, how did you have a label for what a book was graded to send to a dissatified buyer? And how could you prove that that label belonged to that book?

any intrest in answering this comicking?

Okay, Perry (you don't like danny I see) I started this thread and I will try to communicate with you as you have extended to us that same courtesy.

1. Grading is subjective. It is a free market. If you believe a book is a higher grade in the cgc holder it is fine to buy the book, crack it yourself and resubmit. I agree with you there. (In my case I get creators to sign it and turn it into a yellow label) I myslef have had success buying nice looking books, cracking, getting them signed, then getting a higher grade bump still. IT IS AWESOME!

PROBLEM- IF YOU CRACK A BOOK TO RE-GRADE DO IT FOR YOURSELF! THAT IS YOUR GAMBLE THAT SHOULD ONLY BE YOURS. NOT YOUR UNSUSPECTING VICTIMS WHO YOU DO NOT DISCLOSE THAT INFO TO VIA YOUR LISTINGS.

2. What is your real name? I do not want to "offend" you by calling you Danny.

3. You say you offer a refund. If I am an unsuspecting buyer and bought a silver age book from you it would most likely take more than 2 months just to get the book back from cgc. Thus when it came back restored I would be past my time limit where I could ruin your sketchy seller rep with a neg.

The worst/saddest part of this whole thread is that you sincerely believe what you are doing is okay. You feel your judgement is better than CGC's and that you have every right to crack a slab, advertise the book at a higher condition/value, DO NOT DISCLOSE THE PREVIOUS GRADE, then take a massive profit.

Grinder caught you with your foot in your mouth. what you are spewing back at us is total BS and you know it.

Keep on talkin to us. You are such a patheological liar it is unbelievable. How can you type all of these responses and still never tell us your real name?

You also basically admitted yeah i thought that book was a higher grade so I cracked it and flipped it. You also said other people do that too, and you know what I think that as well, I just got burned the other day by a probable crack and flip and to be honest I think ALL OF THOSE SELLERS ARE SCUM. And if I ever find out about them doing that or cracking restored books and selling as raw I will do everything I can to warn as many people as possible to keep this as clean a hobby as possible.

CGC is def. opening the hobby up to a new can of worms.....you being one of them.

Best,

Sean (that is my real name. FYI) my partners name is Chris.

No exceptions.

No exceptions.

No exceptions.

No exceptions.

No exceptions.

No exceptions.

No exceptions.

No exceptions.

I somehow doubt there was ever an instance where you cracked a slab and sold it raw for at a lower grade because the book didnt deserve it.

Youre entitiled to your opinion, right or wrong.

The worst/saddest part of this whole thread is that you sincerely believe what you are doing is okay. You feel your judgement is better than CGC's and that you have every right to crack a slab, advertise the book at a higher condition/value, DO NOT DISCLOSE THE PREVIOUS GRADE, then take a massive profit.

On two books, out of 1850 book and lots sold on eBay? Tell you what, I'm going to pull the two auctions and destroy the two books. Rip them to shreds, like I ripped the last 10 hours to shreds. They're really only a 7.5 and a 7.0, so they won't be much of a loss, right?

I'll take the high road and be held to an ideal, a Gold standard higher than any other seller in the hobby. I will never sell another book that has ever been graded by either CGC or PGX and I will make as sure of that before I list a raw book as I am sure that there is no restoration on my unrestoreds because I know that if one accidentally slipped through, the repercusions would be heard around the world!

I give up. If there was a white flag emoticon here, I'd wave it. Grading isn't subjective, and seller has no right to grade a comic anything other than what CGC has graded it, be it undergraded or overgraded. I'm worn down like the way sects brainwash potential followers.

10 hours of banging my head on a stone wall is enough. I'm convinced.

You know all the auction sites. See if any comic I ever offer raw again has ever been grade by CGC.

When I sell the AS #44 CGC 8.0 that's really a 5.0, I'll make no mention of what dreck it is, because who am I to disagree with the grade.

I'm done here. I have the patience but lack the stamina for marathon posting and trying to please everyone in the hobby with each and every sale as well as the buyer.

And I don't disagree ith CGC all the time. Three books is not "all the time". Most of the time I agree with them. On these three books I did however, disagree, that is up until this point. Now I'm in complete agreement with CGC, the GL 40 and Xmen 65 will be destroyed and the AS 44 sold this weekend. Let the buyer look at the scan and decide if the book is acurately graded by CGC, who the heck am I to say that it isn't?

well Perry we are almost at a point where we can let things die.

I think because of the hard work of this board you are a bit more honest or at least aware of restoration affecting your ebay feedback and business.

I think you hands down crack slabs and flip them for a higher grade AS A JOB, and AS A BUSINESS. A CON BUSINESS. You think it is legit. It's not. We have a different opinion.

I think the best bet for you if you are so confident in your grading skills and the fact that CGC overgrades all the time you should state the previous grade in your auction, or else face public noosing ALL THE TIME. Just say what you are doing in your ebay listings. Be honest. I could still see a lot of people buying from you that way, just the bids would not be so outrageous.

I think that is the main thing. You just burned a lot of people and that is why they are all on your case. Disclose what you do. State your comic book expertise and opinion is put into every auction.

Also just ignoring the whole profit investment thing everyone keeps asking makes no sense at all. You see these books on c-link or pedigree or heritage go for LOOT. If you were a comic book hustla, NOT A SCAMMER you would just slab your books your "find" and flip them for WAY MORE MONEY! You write so eloquently and believably address that fact.

----NOBODY else BUT YOU in their right mind would EVER sell ANY of the books you sell raw without slabbing them first. They would leave too much money on the table.

I read all your posts.....there is no legit answer for that last fact. THus people think you are sketchy.