• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Unofficial Underground Comix thread...
14 14

2,322 posts in this topic

Finally got a copy of Cherry Poptart - wanted one for a long time just for the novelty of it but never pulled the trigger. I remember seeing ads for Cherry in American Entertainment Catalog (I think?) when I was a kid/teen - always loved looking at the section with Milo Manara, Bettie Page, Cherry, etc. back then for hours... xD

1960692629_Cherry2.thumb.jpeg.fe4a90ebd2263ae16938f4bac0a2cd67.jpeg

On 8/10/2021 at 3:51 AM, TIA23 said:

Anybody got #2,3,5 scans from this underground "Cosmic Circus" ?

I see a collections of scans of the covers at https://comicbookrealm.com/series/66141/527385/:
Issue #1, #2, #4, #5, plus  Intermission (?) and Ten years later (?), and a Special (whose all copies were stolen).

ComixJoint  has The best of Cosmic Circus too, see at https://comixjoint.com/cosmiccircus.html

Your comments and/or corrections are  welcome.

Edited by ug18

On 10/8/2021 at 1:41 PM, L Ludwig said:

Just got this today after the traditionally epic wait --

Screen Shot 2021-10-08 at 11.40.00 AM.png

That's a really stunning copy of a book that I think deserves a lot more attention than it's traditionally gotten.

On 10/28/2021 at 5:50 PM, jimjum12 said:

A few recent additions.... GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

119_4893.JPG

119_4903.JPG

UG FANTAGOR 1.jpg

UG YELLOW DOG 17.jpg

If you didn't know, that Blood on the Moon is actually book 3 of a 3-issue mini series. Confusingly, each one has a different title: White Commanche, Red Raider, Blood on the Moon. In my experience, this one is by quite a bit the hardest of the three to find nice copies of.

The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers and Fat Freddy's Cat is set to begin streaming on TUBI this Sunday, FYI.  I still have a problem with them changing the Cat from male to female and using Tiffany Haddish as the voice actor.  Couldn't they have just made one of the dudes into a woman like Phineas could've been Penelope or something.

On 11/13/2021 at 2:16 PM, labratnotincluded said:

The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers and Fat Freddy's Cat is set to begin streaming on TUBI this Sunday, FYI.  I still have a problem with them changing the Cat from male to female and using Tiffany Haddish as the voice actor.  Couldn't they have just made one of the dudes into a woman like Phineas could've been Penelope or something.

Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers & Sister??? (shrug)

The cat was a better choice IMHO…

Wow, Freak Brothers adapted. This has been a looong-time coming, so many great stories they can use, short gags, esp. FF's Cat, and epic tales: "Grass Roots" and "7th Voyage: A Mexican Odyssey" especially (two of the greatest comic stories ever) would make terrific feature animated films, or else could carry a full season. I'm excited! If this is any good, I'll finally scan my Feds' N Heads first print and show it off. (Will ask your opinions on grade for that.)

I got it with a Plymell Zap #1 about 25 years ago. Sold that book raw (probably and 8.0 or 8.5, it was nice) for $2,800 shortly after, but the Freaks are my favorites, so I kept the "Feds".all these years.

Fingers crossed for this show...

Edited by jdandns

On 11/20/2021 at 11:29 AM, jas1vans said:

I saw these for sale and they piqued my interest. They were little out of my comfort zone (as I'm very unfamiliar with underground comix), but isn't that what life is all about? Very glad to have picked them up this morning; excited to give them a read a little later. 

20211120_092253.jpg

20211120_092122.jpg

20211120_092402.jpg

20211120_092507.jpg

Nice selection of books there, showing off some pretty big names in underground (and underground adjacent) work.

Conspiracy Capers is mostly interesting for its historical context. It was intended to help fund the defense of the Chicago Seven, which meant some unusually high profile people were involved in the production of this one -- including influential Black Panther Kathleen Cleaver and film director Susan Sontag!

Two of these books have more than one...let's say variety here. Dan O'Neill's Comics #1 has two variants from the same print run, generally known as the "red ink" and "no red ink" versions (based on the inside front cover), although there are outside cover differences too. They're probably about equal rarity. Yours is the "no red ink" one. Meanwhile, Kitchen's Mom's Homemade Comics 1 went to three printings (although 2nd and 3rd are identical, so it's really first/not-first at this point). I'm happy to say, yours is a 1st printing (49 cents vs. 50 cents). That's the book that started Kitchen's rise to influence that eventually resulted in the 30 year history of Kitchen Sink Press. It's also still really funny.

@Qalyar the history nerd in me pushed for these. I remember hearing about Conspiracy Capers, but hadn't seen it in person until today. I got my friend the Regan's Raiders mini as a gag gift, I hope that The Great Society is as good. I remember reading that O'Neill got in a little trouble because he thought he could use Mickey Mouse, figured I'd pick up some of his other work. Mom's Homemade Comics' (the only one I had time to read thus far) jokes last the test of time, it's nice to see that some forms of humor are universal.

I am supposed to be on (self-imposed) buying restrictions until I decide what I ultimately want my collection to become but I think I made a good pick up with these.

On 11/27/2021 at 5:17 AM, ug18 said:

I was not aware of a ¢49 edition. How rare is it? a fair market price? Thanks M.

First printing... Matte pebbled cover stock, 49c price and local Milwaukee ads. Print run was about 4k, 3500 sold locally and 500 sold in San Francisco. Fmv for vfnm is maybe 250-400 to the right buyer. 

2nd printing was done by Print Mint and the ads swapped out. Kitchen was shorted his end by the publisher (poor accounting practices) so he decided to start printing his own books and formed Kitchen Sink Press.