• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

I don't know if this is probation list worthy, but thought I should provide a heads up in any case.

I bought the WBN complete run in this thread:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=277318&Number=6131742#Post6131742

Negotiations with the seller were very pleasant. He shipped quickly. Packaging was excellent.

However, as I did a spot-check on the condition of the books on receipt, it was clear that many were significantly overgraded. I dropped a line to the seller to that effect. His reply was:

"Sorry if you thought they were over graded. I went by the overstreet grading guide 3rd edition and have used it extensively in the past. I can make it up to you in another deal if you'd like? Anything you are in the hunt for?"

Offering to sell me more stuff is not an ideal solution to an overgrading problem, but I mentioned that I was in the market for ToD and the seller said he'd put a list together.

It was after this exchange of correspondence that I discovered that I was missing one of the books (duplicate of #27 for the record). I sent a message to the seller, who responded with:

"*spoon*.....I don't have any left here either. Went through my whole collection....I think I might have typo'd the damn spreadsheet...."

I messaged again on 30 November asking: "What's your proposed solution? We have significant overgrading on many books and a missing book."

I've heard nothing since from the seller. Shame really, as I think the grading/missing book issues were honest mistakes. Just disappointing that he doesn't want to sort out an equitable solution.

As I say, a heads up in the event he starts another sales thread...

Update: I've not heard anything from the seller since his "*spoon*..." message on 30 November.

Hasn't posted since that last sales thread. Probation worthy in my humble opinion.

If you deem it probation worthy, then I'd like to formally propose pmahoney74 for the list.

:headbang:

Ok fixed that, I think he's a shill for another account here on the boards, (rest deleted by Pov)

Please stop listing names and cities. And you can't announce you "think" someone is a shill for another. Please make a case for it. Also see my PM. Thanks!

I don't know if this is probation list worthy, but thought I should provide a heads up in any case.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=277318&Number=6131742#Post6131742

Negotiations with the seller were very pleasant. He shipped quickly. Packaging was excellent.

However, as I did a spot-check on the condition of the books on receipt, it was clear that many were significantly overgraded. I dropped a line to the seller to that effect. His reply was:

"Sorry if you thought they were over graded. I went by the overstreet grading guide 3rd edition and have used it extensively in the past. I can make it up to you in another deal if you'd like? Anything you are in the hunt for?"

Offering to sell me more stuff is not an ideal solution to an overgrading problem, but I mentioned that I was in the market for ToD and the seller said he'd put a list together.

It was after this exchange of correspondence that I discovered that I was missing one of the books (duplicate of #27 for the record). I sent a message to the seller, who responded with:

"*spoon*.....I don't have any left here either. Went through my whole collection....I think I might have typo'd the damn spreadsheet...."

I messaged again on 30 November asking: "What's your proposed solution? We have significant overgrading on many books and a missing book."

I've heard nothing since from the seller. Shame really, as I think the grading/missing book issues were honest mistakes. Just disappointing that he doesn't want to sort out an equitable solution.

Update: I've not heard anything from the seller since his "*spoon*..." message on 30 November.

Hasn't posted since that last sales thread. Probation worthy in my humble opinion.

If you deem it probation worthy, then I'd like to formally propose pmahoney74 for the list.

Pardon my ignorance - what happens next?

My apologies for not having kept up. But the protocol is, you bring the issue up here, and you send the guy a PM in a new PM thread, alerting him to your post here. He then gets 72 hours to show up and defend himself, or make good to your satisfaction. If he doesn't, he goes on the list. You can add him to the list yourself, or ask one of the pros to do it for you.

If you do it yourself, be sure to turn off your sig line.

2c About the grade disagreement, that sounds like a gray area. Did you get scans before you bought them? Missing a comic from the shipment is not cool though, and absolutely should be addressed. What resolution are you looking for here?

My apologies for not having kept up. But the protocol is, you bring the issue up here, and you send the guy a PM in a new PM thread, alerting him to your post here. He then gets 72 hours to show up and defend himself, or make good to your satisfaction. If he doesn't, he goes on the list. You can add him to the list yourself, or ask one of the pros to do it for you.

If you do it yourself, be sure to turn off your sig line.

2c About the grade disagreement, that sounds like a gray area. Did you get scans before you bought them? Missing a comic from the shipment is not cool though, and absolutely should be addressed. What resolution are you looking for here?

Thanks for the guidance.

My last three messages to the vendor were:

30 Nov: "What's your proposed solution? We have significant overgrading on many books and a missing book."

2 Dec: "Hi Paul, I'll wait until the end of the week to try to resolve this amicably and equitably, then I'll take it to the Probation thread."

5 Dec: "Hi Paul, Just to confirm that, in the absence of any correspondence from you on the matter, I'll be taking this to the Probation thread for consideration on Friday. I'd prefer to settle things amicably, of course, but there's not a great deal I can do when you're not responding to messages."

All three messages are unread.

I take your point on the grading issue, though many are significantly overgraded in my opinion. If needs be, I'd be happy to let some of the experienced graders on here adjudicate.

The vendor offered to make up for the overgrading in another deal, but hasn't followed through. I don't think offering to sell more stuff to someone unhappy with grading is an ideal solution, but I was prepared to go along with it.

The missing book, on top of the over-grading, tipped this into the category of really unsatisfactory transaction for me. In terms of resolution, I really just expected the vendor to offer up a solution to acknowledge the problems - a gesture. As it is, I'm irritated because the vendor doesn't seem to give a monkey's.

About the PM: just send him a new one in a new thread anyway. That way he's got no leg to stand on if he denies seeing it, or knowing what it was.

And I'm not saying you don't have a case about the grades, just that it's not necessarily cut & dried.

Man the boards are crazy right now with problem members...

Whats got put in the water in newbie land?

Easy. Sense of self entitlement.

Mixed in with the up front information that there are no permanent/long term consequences.

Every other hobby forum i buy and sell on is one and done. You screw up in pretty much any way and you are banned from even readin marketplace threads. No vote, no thread, no pm. Done. Of course those forums are moderated by actual moderators and run like clockwork. Nothing like the circus here and whats ironic is the other sites are trading in peanuts compared to the money being spent here.

Mixed in with the up front information that there are no permanent/long term consequences.

Every other hobby forum i buy and sell on is one and done. You screw up in pretty much any way and you are banned from even readin marketplace threads. No vote, no thread, no pm. Done. Of course those forums are moderated by actual moderators and run like clockwork. Nothing like the circus here and whats ironic is the other sites are trading in peanuts compared to the money being spent here.

I don't know. Are the other forums you mention owned by corporations and represent a corporate message board? Or are they pure hobby forums?

As our own moderators say, they allow the For Sale forums but will take no part in them and in this I agree.

One real problem I see with your post is "You screw up in pretty much any way and you are banned from even readin marketplace threads. No vote, no thread, no pm. Done. Of course those forums are moderated by actual moderators and run like clockwork."

I do feel these forums are moderated by actual moderators as well. But you seem to be praising a concept that one or two or a few people hold total control over the sale threads. You say "no vote, no thread, no pm."

Do you know how these moderators make a determination?

There have been examples ON THESE BOARDS of someone initially bringing someone to the Probation Discussion that have turned the tables on the person claiming to have been wronged. How? By other members asking questions and digging into the situation.

To me these boards exemplify how things should be. The mods leave the For Sale up to US to moderate. How can you complain about that?

*edited because I forgot the most important point which is*

These people who are perma-banned from the sale forums - what steps do the moderators take to seek a resolution to the problem? We at least offer advice and assist in some cases to get restitution. What do they do?

Edited by Povertyrow

I don't know. Are the other forums you mention owned by corporations and represent a corporate message board? Or are they pure hobby forums?

I cant say whether or not they are owned by corporations, but they are business sites. They have areas of the forums/site that are for paying members only. very online magazinish.

As our own moderators say, they allow the For Sale forums but will take no part in them and in this I agree.

One real problem I see with your post is "You screw up in pretty much any way and you are banned from even readin marketplace threads. No vote, no thread, no pm. Done. Of course those forums are moderated by actual moderators and run like clockwork."

I do feel these forums are moderated by actual moderators as well. But you seem to be praising a concept that one or two or a few people hold total control over the sale threads. You say "no vote, no thread, no pm."

Do you know how these moderators make a determination?

No pm was wrong, when i typed it, i was thinking user to user pm.

If you think youve been wronged you pm a mod, they will read the thread and any PMs. Then they have all the info. Im not exactly sure what happens behind the scenes but im sure the moderator PMs them from there on and everything is resolved just about instantly. You can even be banned after full compliance. You might get to keep buying privileges but lose selling privileges, or whatever the mods decide. The thing is tho....it just doesnt really come up very often. Sellers are moderator approved and folks know the consequences.

There have been examples ON THESE BOARDS of someone initially bringing someone to the Probation Discussion that have turned the tables on the person claiming to have been wronged. How? By other members asking questions and digging into the situation.

To me these boards exemplify how things should be. The mods leave the For Sale up to US to moderate. How can you complain about that?

For the most part, i cannot. I wish there were stiffer penalties but under this system i cant blame anyone or complain to anyone lol

Hmm. I dunno. That sounds a bit too iron-fisted for me. I like the process here - major issues get aired out in public, and in some cases - allows someone in the wrong to admit it and make things right.

I think there has to be faith in that some people can actually see where they need to make improvements when it's pointed out to them, rather than have them banned or booted without any chance of rectifying their issues or policies.

Hmm. I dunno. That sounds a bit too iron-fisted for me. I like the process here - major issues get aired out in public, and in some cases - allows someone in the wrong to admit it and make things right.

I think there has to be faith in that some people can actually see where they need to make improvements when it's pointed out to them, rather than have them banned or booted without any chance of rectifying their issues or policies.

Even rereading my own post makes is sound too harsh, and its definitely oversimplified. Sometimes my right after work posts can be pretty off the cuff. :sorry:

Even rereading my own post makes is sound too harsh, and its definitely oversimplified. Sometimes my right after work posts can be pretty off the cuff. :sorry:

You should be banned for making off the cuff posts. Mods notified!

:hi: