• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

i don't really see any excuse for such pizz poor packaging.

You never know, I (and others) have had Slabs mailed to me in paper envelopes, sometimes the seller is clueless. This shouldn't be the case here (seems more like indifference) but the bigger issue I have is that no way would he not know the cover was detached. For anyone dealing with GA books, the integrity of the staples and cover is one of the first things you scrutinize.

Im going to reply to this only once as Raymond is confused...

There were 2 stacks of SSOC that I put in the box FLAT face up not on any edge. I put a peice of styrofoam in the middle of the box dividing the 2 stacks. At either end of each stack I packed with crumpled newspaper. Both the top bottom and sided were lined with paper. The Eerie was in the middle with the Styro. Everything was tight and not loose as the pic shows. Ray noted a crushed corner on the box and Im guessing its from someone dropping the box ???? Ray didnt get the box until 1 week after it arrived. How was the box treated ? Did his neighbor mishandle the box ? For all I know his neighbor tripped with the box and it crashed to the ground ??? The point is I dont know nor does Ray for the matter what happened to that box during and after shipping... Did FedEx mishandle the box ? Everything was packed well but I imagin a box thats mishandled bad enough can result in damage to books. If Ray were a wiser man he would have requested shipping after the Holidays and he would have recieved the books in person. Now there is question and doubt. Im no rookie to shipping fragile items. Im sorry Ray is unhappy but I dont feel its due to anything Ive done. The pics he posted show a jumbled mess which more points to mishandling.

Question for both parties? Why was 500 dollars worth of merchandise not insured. I insure everything over 100 on my dime. But as a buyer, If I'm buying more than 100 dollars worth of stuff, I try to make sure it gets insured.

If Ray were a wiser man he would have requested shipping after the Holidays and he would have recieved the books in person.
:o

Yeah, that's a :screwy: statement.

Im no rookie to shipping fragile items.[ Im sorry Ray is unhappy but I dont feel its due to anything Ive done. The pics he posted show a jumbled mess which more points to mishandling.

So shipping hundreds of unbagged, unboarded books loose in a box with newspaper packing is how the professionals do it? :screwy:

Well, I know 1 boardie I won't be buying from in the future.

I'll leave the rebuttal to Ray, but I'll just say that I do think you have an obligation to work with him to make it right. (And not singling you out; I would say that about any seller in this situation.)

I know we all dislike it when a transaction goes awry ... but really, c'mon fella. Time to step up.

Im no rookie to shipping fragile items.[ Im sorry Ray is unhappy but I dont feel its due to anything Ive done. The pics he posted show a jumbled mess which more points to mishandling.

So shipping hundreds of unbagged, unboarded books loose in a box with newspaper packing is how the professionals do it? :screwy:

Well, I know 1 boardie I won't be buying from in the future.

No doubt! The guy spent some serious coin to buy these books and no way should they have just been loosely stacked (face-up or sideways) surrounded by crumpled newspaper. If you weren't going to bag and board them, then atleast place them in small groups between heavy cardboard surrounded by bubblewrap. This would have been much better. Everyone knows, or should know, that items get very shuffled going through the mail.

These were doomed from the beginning.

Another suggestion for bulk non-bagged/boarded comics/mags would be putting bunches in the Priority Mail or Express Mail envelopes, wrapping around and taping down the slack, and then taping the full envelopes all together to reduce slidage in the box. The envelopes are free and I think they might be made of kevlar(!), pretty tough.

I would imagine the books are covered by insurance correct...so that an issue like this would not arise and you would both be protected.

The books were sent Fed Ex ground. I don't know if they were insured. When paying, I told him "I'm in NC and don;t care how they are shipped as long as they get here undamaged" because I had factored $25 in for the shipping and knew priority mail would be an expensive option. Although disappointing that a board member would pack.ship this way, I believe any damage due to (rather soft) box and the manner of packing probably doesn't amount to much. The biggest problem is the overgraded Eerie (I guessed in VG/F it was worth $250 but as is my guess is less than half of that). The overgraded Conans maybe make them worth 20% less than I had valued. It's the Eerie #2 that was the dealbreaker.

To me, the whole shipping/packing issue goes more to showing his indifference, and seems to have provided him with an excuse (in his mind) for accepting responsibility. Seems he thinks mishandling during shipping caused the Eerie #2 cover to detach.

:sick:FREAKIN' GHASTLY! :sick:

There were 2 stacks of SSOC that I put in the box FLAT face up not on any edge. I put a peice of styrofoam in the middle of the box dividing the 2 stacks. At either end of each stack I packed with crumpled newspaper. Both the top bottom and sided were lined with paper. The Eerie was in the middle with the Styro. Everything was tight and not loose as the pic shows. Ray noted a crushed corner on the box and Im guessing its from someone dropping the box ???? Ray didnt get the box until 1 week after it arrived. How was the box treated ? Did his neighbor mishandle the box ? For all I know his neighbor tripped with the box and it crashed to the ground ??? The point is I dont know nor does Ray for the matter what happened to that box during and after shipping... Did FedEx mishandle the box ? Everything was packed well but I imagin a box thats mishandled bad enough can result in damage to books. If Ray were a wiser man he would have requested shipping after the Holidays and he would have recieved the books in person. Now there is question and doubt. Im no rookie to shipping fragile items. Im sorry Ray is unhappy but I dont feel its due to anything Ive done. The pics he posted show a jumbled mess which more points to mishandling.

I wanted that Eerie. Now I am pretty glad I couldn't strike a deal. :eek:

At the very least, the books should have been bagged and boarded. I would expect to get books "in the raw" from only the most inexperienced eBay sellers...

:sumo:

Unacceptible IMO. Give the guy a refund and take the books back. Either the books were dinged up due to poor packaging that should be able to withstand a box being dropped, or the gradding was way far off. Sending magazines that clearly look nice and were sold for better than readers need to be protected somewhat. Classic case were a refund should be given.

bs excuses. i have had sellers on these boards ship me 15 dollars worth of stuff packaged like a fortress where anything short of being run over by a Mac truck wouldn't have caused any damage.

That's not to way to pack books, I got one box from someone on here, that was packed like that (Divad can guess who) and I will never buy from him again...but EVEN if you think you did a good job, those books were not even protected from the rain...EVEN if he was not on vacation, the box could have been left on a porch and it could have been raiining, those books would have been soaked. Very few people are home during the day to receive mail. If they had been packed like a brick, they still could have been damaged and I've gotten books that were unprotected and damaged in the rain, it happens... obviously ...you made an error, maybe you didn't think so at the time, but you did...Sometimes, it's better to just say, "I'm sorry, I screwed up, please let me fix this for you"...No one is perfect...but casting blame on your buyer, is just kind of immature. Better to stick to the "learn something every day" slogan and back off, admitt you made an error and offer to fix it.