• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

Here's the actual information about Paypal personal:

Because Paypal operates under certain financial laws, they MUST have a fee free option for people to send money to one another. That is called "Paypal personal." It is called PERSONAL for a reason: it is for PAYING BACK, or GIVING GIFTS, to people you know.

It is NOT, explicitly spelled out in Paypal's terms, for buying merchandise from ANYONE.

That is why you cannot open a case about it. That is why there is no protection for it. Because it's money that isn't subject to dispute. After all...if you're paying somebody back because they fronted you the cash for lunch, what possible dispute could you have with that? You're paying someone BACK.

I use Paypal personal all the time. How?

BeerThirty subbed some books for me to CGC at SDCC. He subbed them under his account. He wasn't selling me anything. He was simply passing on the services of CGC through his account.

CGC charged HIM, and I paid him BACK. Since he wasn't selling ME a good/service, but was merely the passthrough, I used PP personal, which is PRECISELY the type of situation this was designed for! He didn't pay fees, because he wasn't the one who sold me something.

It has nothing to do with how well you know the buyer/seller...it is NOT for merchandise.

Paypal is in business to make money. Whether you love, hate, or are indifferent about them, the fact is, they earn THEIR money by making it easy for you to SEND money. Using their services in a way that is contrary to their terms, and denying them fees they have legally earned, is nothing more, and nothing less, than stealing. Regardless of the people who try to justify it, and oh, are there people who try to justify it any way possible ("they earn enough", "their fees aren't fair", "they'll never miss it", etc.)

If you didn't know about it before, you know now. If you DO know, and still do it, you are a THIEF. And if you are a buyer who sends personal "so the seller doesn't have to pay fees", you are an ACCESSORY to theft. The seller should rightfully refund you, minus the non-refundable 30 cent transaction fee, and tell you to send it the right way.

And those of you who abused the service and accepted personal payments for merchandise? You will, if you have not already, lose the privilege to use it at all...and you will ANNOY your friends who would, oh, I dunno, like to PAY YOU BACK for fronting the cash for a signature opportunity. But no, you ruin it for you, and you ruin it for others.

Why do *I* harp on it so much? Because this board lays claim to a higher ethical standard than usual, and it is the height of hypocrisy to maintain a "Probation List" and "HOS" for people who steal from others here (among other things), and yet turn a blind eye to the Paypal personal abuse.

What, it doesn't matter because Paypal is a big nameless, faceless corporation....?

I think not.

6 people said "no" so far on the poll.

Question for the 5 of you that aren't solarcadet - we have all explained why we think he should be on the list, why do you think he shouldn't be?

24:8, yes/no - does solarcadet have 7 shills here? There is no reason to be afraid to speak your mind here...

:devil:

If we figure out how many people on here have foreign variants to sell we might be able to predict the "NO" votes more accurately.

They would still want to deal with this individual_without_enough_empathy after seeing all this?

Good luck to them...

-slym

I can't for the life of me understand why one cannot be honest and up front with selling/purchases.If you say something like "shipping included" or whatever it may be,go through with it honorably.Go by the rules,and you should never have issues.Sheesh! doh!

Question for the 5 of you that aren't solarcadet - we have all explained why we think he should be on the list, why do you think he shouldn't be?

-slym (18 "yes" votes!) (thumbs u

24:8, yes/no - does solarcadet have 7 shills here? There is no reason to be afraid to speak your mind here...

-slym

If we figure out how many people on here have foreign variants to sell we might be able to predict the "NO" votes more accurately.

So now the perception is that if someone buys/sells foreign editions they're a bad person? ???

I can't for the life of me understand why one cannot be honest and up front with selling/purchases.If you say something like "shipping included" or whatever it may be,go through with it honorably.Go by the rules,and you should never have issues.Sheesh! doh!

You'll love this. He tied his dad's death to his service in Vietnam.

joecgcmaniac calls out the situation

sorry guys to keep you waiting...

been on phone all evening my dad is very sick with cancer

anyways, Joecgcmaniac claims its not real.... :blahblah:

i offer the friendly wager that I get it CGC'ed and he pays the processing and if I dont I will gladly paypal the same to him (thumbs u

wouldn't that be more entertaining than just showing the book gallery online...

worse case scenario is i'm wrong and Joe makes $40 :acclaim:

Everyone wants it to be fake, but deep down dont you really want it to be real and see me get a free CGC'ed embossed Man of Steel #1?

are you not entertained? :headbang:

:facepalm:

No, entertaining would be you posting a link to the book gallery.

Why would I ever trust you with $40? :screwy:

Sorry to hear your dad is battling cancer. One question though. You posted this just about 2 months ago.

right on Bill! You are A-OK in my book (thumbs u

Show some of the 10.0 Love sometime I would really like to see a whole bunch of them together....

and again a big shout to MsSmidt for dogging my Superman #233 CGC 4.5

My dad bought it for me in 1982 and its symbolizes the son father bond we had now that he died from exposure to Agent orange in Vietnam serving our country :sorry:

I thought your dad was dead? ???

no not yet just said that to make him feel bad.

You lied about your father being DEAD to make a stranger on the internet feel bad...?

Really...?

Not to mention he edited that last post. lol

Yeah, I'm going to send $40 to a guy who is either a compulsive liar, or an out-and-out scam artist. :eyeroll:

i dont expect $40 :)

ill post it later when i get it back from CGC :eyeroll::eyeroll:

You'll love this. He tied his dad's death to his service in Vietnam.

joecgcmaniac calls out the situation

sorry guys to keep you waiting...

been on phone all evening my dad is very sick with cancer

anyways, Joecgcmaniac claims its not real.... :blahblah:

i offer the friendly wager that I get it CGC'ed and he pays the processing and if I dont I will gladly paypal the same to him (thumbs u

wouldn't that be more entertaining than just showing the book gallery online...

worse case scenario is i'm wrong and Joe makes $40 :acclaim:

Everyone wants it to be fake, but deep down dont you really want it to be real and see me get a free CGC'ed embossed Man of Steel #1?

are you not entertained? :headbang:

:facepalm:

No, entertaining would be you posting a link to the book gallery.

Why would I ever trust you with $40? :screwy:

Sorry to hear your dad is battling cancer. One question though. You posted this just about 2 months ago.

right on Bill! You are A-OK in my book (thumbs u

Show some of the 10.0 Love sometime I would really like to see a whole bunch of them together....

and again a big shout to MsSmidt for dogging my Superman #233 CGC 4.5

My dad bought it for me in 1982 and its symbolizes the son father bond we had now that he died from exposure to Agent orange in Vietnam serving our country :sorry:

I thought your dad was dead? ???

no not yet just said that to make him feel bad.

You lied about your father being DEAD to make a stranger on the internet feel bad...?

Really...?

Not to mention he edited that last post. lol

Yeah, I'm going to send $40 to a guy who is either a compulsive liar, or an out-and-out scam artist. :eyeroll:

i dont expect $40 :)

ill post it later when i get it back from CGC :eyeroll::eyeroll:

tumblr_mo0idi0AKD1ssrvngo1_400_zpsefecfc95.gif

Pathetic meh

I think the issue here is that he doesn't care about the things he's done, and continues to prove it with his posts.

I'm not sure if that is Hall Of Shame worthy, as that seems to be reserved for a special breed of epic scumbag.

However, it is worthy of noting in some fashion. This community really doesn't want that kind of attitude amongst it's sellers. Yes, it's a free messageboard where people can act like a gigantic doucherocket as much as they'd like - but people engaging in buy/sell around here deserve to have a way of knowing who they are dealing with.

-slym

So now the perception is that if someone buys/sells foreign editions they're a bad person? ???

Wow, figure out the context before speaking, for your own understanding's sake.

Foreign editions are all this guy talks about, it seems to be all he buys, so it was a joke about who could possibly be voting in his favor.

Read more than one post on the topic and attempt to discern sincerity from satire.

What, it doesn't matter because Paypal is a big nameless, faceless corporation....?

I think not.

I agree. It's all part of the game, and it's part of the cost of doing business. I never ask for personal - but some boardies have sent me personal on their own accord, which is cool sometimes because I consider it a free trip to McDonalds. But yeah, asking for it as a legitimate seller? Not a big fan of that.

I think the issue here is that he doesn't care about the things he's done, and continues to prove it with his posts.

I'm not sure if that is Hall Of Shame worthy, as that seems to be reserved for a special breed of epic scumbag.

However, it is worthy of noting in some fashion. This community really doesn't want that kind of attitude amongst it's sellers. Yes, it's a free messageboard where people can act like a gigantic doucherocket as much as they'd like - but people engaging in buy/sell around here deserve to have a way of knowing who they are dealing with.

Cant something be autostamped somehow next to someones name to show they were on the PL or HOS at some point. Like as part of a sig, or on the sidebar next to their name? There has to be a way to work that in somehow?

I think not.

I agree. It's all part of the game, and it's part of the cost of doing business. I never ask for personal - but some boardies have sent me personal on their own accord, which is cool sometimes because I consider it a free trip to McDonalds. But yeah, asking for it as a legitimate seller? Not a big fan of that.

It almost ranks up there with the sellers who add the 3% to the total when they send the invoice, with no prior mention of it in their seller terms. doh! At least the other leeches will put the fact that they expect the buyer to front the fees in their terms. :screwy:

Cant something be autostamped somehow next to someones name to show they were on the PL or HOS at some point. Like as part of a sig, or on the sidebar next to their name? There has to be a way to work that in somehow?

The jury is still out on you! :baiting:

No anything related to sig lines and ID's has to be handled by CGC. Arch carved this room out for us on the condition that it is our playroom. No mods get involved, no anything from CGC. We police it.

-slym

Wow, figure out the context before speaking, for your own understanding's sake.

Foreign editions are all this guy talks about, it seems to be all he buys, so it was a joke about who could possibly be voting in his favor.

Read more than one post on the topic and attempt to discern sincerity from satire.

More like, wow, be more specific about what you write and/or how it's stated. The way your statement reads is that anyone that's into foreign editions is guilty by association.

I'm sure you'll have something witty or condescending to say in response but you and I never seem to see eye to eye on much of anything. (shrug)