• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

I feel that maybe some of it should be spelled out.

It would be quite a long list:

(1) Don't threaten momma sex - (Muscleshark)

(2) Don't put profane messages on people's cell phones (CapFreak)

(3) Don't lie about dead or dying relatives, or their military service. (solarcadet)

This list would be longer than the Probation List

I feel that maybe some of it should be spelled out.

It would be quite a long list:

(1) Don't threaten momma sex - (Muscleshark)

(2) Don't put profane messages on people's cell phones (CapFreak)

(3) Don't lie about dead or dying relatives, or their military service. (solarcadet)

This list would be longer than the Probation List

lol

I was thinking more of a generic "to buy/sell here is a privilege. members are required to uphold a higher standard with their transactions. any members violating basic rules (of fair business practices) will be subject to the probation list and/or HOS"

I'm sure with the amount of lawyers in the community they can come up with something a bit more eloquent or concise

(I work nights and it took me a while to catch up, this thread and the others)

To answer Slym as to why I voted No:

While I agree, Solarcadet's actions haven't been well thought out, I still think the HOS is too severe and should be reserved for the worst of the worst. (I believe it was Balls who said something similar)

Perhaps being the focus of a mess storm, plus a possible language barrier issue, has led to more ill advised posts from SC.

This is just my opinion and feel the "pile on" mentality has set in. Now it's bedtime.

I understand your perspective Hado, and I know HOS seems extreme, and should be used in those most egregious scenarios...

but think about how our marketplace works. Its a social contract between internet strangers (often). Unless stated otherwise we all agree to sell books to each other via the typical conveyances of the :takeit: .

Thats the most basic of our marketplace protocol.

He violated that. Thumbed his nose even at honoring an outright :takeit: in a standard sales thread.

If we let someone get a pass on abiding by the basic agreements of the marketplace, what are we saying? No one is socially bound to anything in the marketplace?

While his act was done to a particular member, it was also done to the marketplace as a whole. And to me that's the egregious nature of it.

While some of the HOS listees are there because of big dollar screwjobs, or repeated cheaters, I would say someone outright blows off the rules of the marketplace and shows no regret for doing so doesnt have a path to make things right.

There's nothing from preventing him from participating in the message board as a whole, but the fact that he doesnt give two shakes about how the marketplace abides, to me, means he isnt welcome in the marketplace.

And that's before even getting into his attempt to change his own sale thread rules, trying to make someone pay via paypal personal, etc etc...

Understood and well stated.

Like I said, it was just my opinion, that last nights choices were the result of feeling like a cornered animal. (I'm not going to even comment on the illness thing.)

I still have trouble equating $15 dollars and a poor attitude to what Mr. Thaeda did, and would think after a night to cool down SC might be able to think of ways to begin making a mends to people and get off the PL.

Understandably some may not want to deal with him regardless. My dealings with SC have been amazing, he even helped me get a book from Europe, with no gain for himself.

I mostly just wanted people to know that the "No" votes, at least my own, were coming from people who feel the HOS is too much of a penalty. And not from shills.

I've learned from my experiences that someone who lies for $15 should be watched even more closely than the person that would lie for $15,000. If they'd lie for $15 there's almost no level to which they would not stoop.

To be fair, the guy did help him get a book from Europe :eyeroll:

:roflmao:

meh

He negotiated a price through a friend in another country, had a book then shipped to his home then on to myself, some people would charge a finders or facilitator fee. I was trying to show why I have a good opinion of SC.

Apologies if that offends.

I am nominating MrDeafComics for the probation list based on the following:

Purchased a Spider-Man #1 CGC 9.8 (from this sales thread http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=316545&Number=7095382#Post7095382) and have not seen delivery of the book yet.

Timeline:

10/16 - Posted the :takeit: in reference to the Spider-man #1 CGC 9.8

10/17 - Paid in full for the book in question.

10/17 - MrDeafComics thanked me for payment and stated book would ship out on "Monday" with the rest. That would have put it with a ship date of 10/21

11/22 - MrDeafComics apologized for not having sent the book out as he had been busy and stated the book would ship out "within the week". Worst case scenario that pushes the ship date to 11/29.

12/5 - As of 1pm EST, a full 50 days after payment I still have not received the book.

12/5 - As of 2pm EST I notified MrDeafComics in a new/seperate PM that I would be bringing this to the "Probation Discussion Thread".

First time I have done this so let me know if any additional information is needed.

Thanks

did you know if anyone else who purchased on his thread received their books or have been in contact with him.

sorry to hear about this, I actually considered buying some books but the ones I wanted were already taken.

While I agree, Solarcadet's actions haven't been well thought out, I still think the HOS is too severe and should be reserved for the worst of the worst. (I believe it was Balls who said something similar)

Perhaps being the focus of a mess storm, plus a possible language barrier issue, has led to more ill advised posts from SC.

This is just my opinion and feel the "pile on" mentality has set in. Now it's bedtime.

I understand your perspective Hado, and I know HOS seems extreme, and should be used in those most egregious scenarios...

but think about how our marketplace works. Its a social contract between internet strangers (often). Unless stated otherwise we all agree to sell books to each other via the typical conveyances of the :takeit: .

He violated that. Thumbed his nose even at honoring an outright :takeit: in a standard sales thread.

If we let someone get a pass on abiding by the basic agreements of the marketplace, what are we saying? No one is socially bound to anything in the marketplace?

While his act was done to a particular member, it was also done to the marketplace as a whole. And to me that's the egregious nature of it.

While some of the HOS listees are there because of big dollar screwjobs, or repeated cheaters, I would say someone outright blows off the rules of the marketplace and shows no regret for doing so doesnt have a path to make things right.

There's nothing from preventing him from participating in the message board as a whole, but the fact that he doesnt give two shakes about how the marketplace abides, to me, means he isnt welcome in the marketplace.

And that's before even getting into his attempt to change his own sale thread rules, trying to make someone pay via paypal personal, etc etc...

Like I said, it was just my opinion, that last nights choices were the result of feeling like a cornered animal. (I'm not going to even comment on the illness thing.)

I still have trouble equating $15 dollars and a poor attitude to what Mr. Thaeda did, and would think after a night to cool down SC might be able to think of ways to begin making a mends to people and get off the PL.

Understandably some may not want to deal with him regardless. My dealings with SC have been amazing, he even helped me get a book from Europe, with no gain for himself.

I mostly just wanted people to know that the "No" votes, at least my own, were coming from people who feel the HOS is too much of a penalty. And not from shills.

I've learned from my experiences that someone who lies for $15 should be watched even more closely than the person that would lie for $15,000. If they'd lie for $15 there's almost no level to which they would not stoop.

meh

He negotiated a price through a friend in another country, had a book then shipped to his home then on to myself, some people would charge a finders or facilitator fee. I was trying to show why I have a good opinion of SC.

I'm not offended, I'm amused. He was able to help you out with a book you wanted, so he can't be that bad of a guy...right?

meh

I'm not offended, I'm amused. He was able to help you out with a book you wanted, so he can't be that bad of a guy...right?

I don't think he's necessarily saying that, but certainly its not unreasonable to rely on your own personal experience to color your opinion of someone, relative to the story of some internet stranger?

It's his opinion, and its based on personal experience with a guy, which is more than most of us voting. I'm not saying that its a complete defense of all actions (I don't think Hado is saying that either) of SC, but I don't think its warranted to jump at Hado's opinion.

He's not diminishing anyone else's feelings or opinions, just stating why he feels a certain way. It's good for the discussion IMO.

What, it doesn't matter because Paypal is a big nameless, faceless corporation....?

I think not.

I agree. It's all part of the game, and it's part of the cost of doing business. I never ask for personal - but some boardies have sent me personal on their own accord, which is cool sometimes because I consider it a free trip to McDonalds. But yeah, asking for it as a legitimate seller? Not a big fan of that.

It almost ranks up there with the sellers who add the 3% to the total when they send the invoice, with no prior mention of it in their seller terms. doh! At least the other leeches will put the fact that they expect the buyer to front the fees in their terms. :screwy:

Never had this happen. If it did, I would post back in the sales thread, "I'm not buying the book after all, and here's why …."

meh

I don't think he's necessarily saying that, but certainly its not unreasonable to rely on your own personal experience to color your opinion of someone, relative to the story of some internet stranger?

It's his opinion, and its based on personal experience with a guy, which is more than most of us voting. I'm not saying that its a complete defense of all actions (I don't think Hado is saying that either) of SC, but I don't think its warranted to jump at Hado's opinion.

He's not diminishing anyone else's feelings or opinions, just stating why he feels a certain way. It's good for the discussion IMO.

We'll have to agree to disagree. IMHO lying about your father dying to make another boardie "feel bad" and using an alleged illness as an excuse for not shipping books trumps him helping someone find a cool book.

Purchased a Spider-Man #1 CGC 9.8 (from this sales thread http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=316545&Number=7095382#Post7095382) and have not seen delivery of the book yet.

Timeline:

10/17 - MrDeafComics thanked me for payment and stated book would ship out on "Monday" with the rest. That would have put it with a ship date of 10/21

11/22 - MrDeafComics apologized for not having sent the book out as he had been busy and stated the book would ship out "within the week". Worst case scenario that pushes the ship date to 11/29.

12/5 - As of 1pm EST, a full 50 days after payment I still have not received the book.

12/5 - As of 2pm EST I notified MrDeafComics in a new/seperate PM that I would be bringing this to the "Probation Discussion Thread".

First time I have done this so let me know if any additional information is needed.

Thanks

did you know if anyone else who purchased on his thread received their books or have been in contact with him.

sorry to hear about this, I actually considered buying some books but the ones I wanted were already taken.

Sorry to hear about your issues. If he doesn't respond in three days he will be added to the PL hope you filed a PayPal dispute before it expired.

Thanks Revat, I'm not eloquent when trying eat soup in a hurry.

You're totally gonna burn the roof of your mouth if you don't slow down.

Timeline:

Thanks

Sorry to hear about your issues. If he doesn't respond in three days he will be added to the PL hope you filed a PayPal dispute before it expired.

We went through Amazon Payments and according to their rules I have 75 days to file a dispute.

So I just spent about an hour of my life going thru multiple posts about what Tony AKA solarcadet did recently in the marketplace. :facepalm: Being as it seems this is a very public trial the least I owe Tony before he is hanged is my opinion and history of his character.

Let me first start out by saying that I have known Tony far longer than anyone here…. I consider him a friend and a valuable member of the small foreign variant community. In fact I am the guy that introduced him to these forums if my memory serves me correct. I cannot speak for others and his dealings with them… but I can speak for his dealings with me, and those dealings speak just as much to his morals, ideals, and character for the good he has done just like the grievances and recent failings speak to the bad. hm

Tony has always helped me source books, buy books, and help me with my personal endeavors like FCC magazine and others never expecting or asking for anything. In fact I know he has helped many boardies here find foreign books they seek and he has made some sales thru private PM that from my understanding worked out quite well for the buyer. Hado being one of many I believe…..

Tony has also sent me free books for nothing, absolutely nothing! Books I needed for my foreign Spawn set literally just showing up in the mail without any warning at all. I also know he has done this for others….. That doesn’t sound like scammer behavior to me, quoting something someone said earlier that also doesn’t sound like piece of “spoon” actions. But again this is past behavior and strictly relating to my dealings with him and examples of a few others that I know have dealt with him privately.

As far as my post… im not somebodys wife… Im not going to make excuses for Tony. He f’ed up and in the purely democratic world of public opinion that is a forum about comic books he will reap what he sowed. But, I think I can explain my opinion of what I think might have happened with his first MKTPlace posting.

In the world of the CGC marketplace and many others there are clearly defined rules and standards to how you go about selling, and like someone said earlier this is to build trust. In the selling world I know Tony plays in mostly… the shadowy foreign contact and foreign marketplace world trust can be hard to come by and guidelines are not as clearly defined. No pun intended on my name… lol They just aren’t…. For example In building foreign contacts often you must use any positive leverage you can to make things worth it to contacts or foreign sellers to help you. Finders fees, and all sorts of stuff sometimes has to be done…. Often the private Paypal gifting of money option is used to help build rapport with contacts and sellers. To the morality of weather paypal gets its cut of its money in a transaction can be argued either way but for me that argument is very often secondary to building contacts and goodwill amongst my foreign contacts. In fact, many times you have to convince contacts just to open paypal accounts so you can do business with them. And, in this game the lack of protection the gift option provides just comes with the territory. For instance even if a book isn’t whats described necessarily, graded properly, or shipped late or whatever…… many times it is still in your best interest to maintain a relationship with a contact. Im not returning a book half way around the world because of a rough deal. What if in the future that sole contact has a book I need and it’s the only buying opportunity to come in years? Better to not burn bridges even when they are rickety….. I have even had to buy contacts old 45 records and had them shipped to them in Mexico because they refused to use western union or paypal. Do you think that was a pleasant transaction? No, did I feel a little taken advantage of? Yes… but I needed the book so I did what I had to do in the wild west of the foreign Mkt comic sourcing…… The world of American comics purchasing and selling sort of lives under an umbrella of clearly defined rules and laws many of which are a luxury you don’t have in the foreign MKTplace.

Basically what I am saying is I think Tony took some of that “wild west” foreign type mentality that he is used to into the MKT place here and in his error did not care to read any of the rules and foundations for selling that he needed to. Very noobish mistake…. And though im not excusing his behavior I think some of what I said above might have had some play into the whats and the whys…… he messed up in both his public posting and in his private dealings with the buyer…. It saddens me he did this…..

I, like everyone else here am very disappointed he didn’t honor his initial agreement and honestly I have noticed Tony not acting like his normal self lately. I haven’t been a very good friend…. And I have noticed his responses on this forum both in private PM’s and public threads seeming to be reactionary, abrupt and non-caring. I had been meaning to contact Tony to inquire about whats up for awhile but haven’t done so for my own selfish reasons…… This flippant non-caring attitude also confuses me because it doesn’t sound like the usual positive Tony I know? In a nutshell I don’t think their are excuses for his behaviors here but I do think their might be other factors and reasons that are not necessarily nefarious.

To the matter of the lie about his father’s death… I personally do not believe Tony is lying about his father fighting cancer at the moment or his father being in the military. Since I started talking to Tony, even before he joined this forum we would discuss how both our fathers served in Vietnam. If he did lie about his fathers service then he has been lying to me this whole time with no reason to do so and he has more serious problems going on then “scamming” or “delaying” buyers or whatever….

But alas, I do find lying about his fathers death just as messed up as everyone else and plan on asking him personally WTF he was thinking!

Also, concerning LSComics question asking for clarity on some of the foreigns comments….. I do not think he was being out of line at all requesting clarification. Being that Tony is one of the most outspoken members of the small little sub-community here that collects foreigns, like it or not he is one very public face of our little sub-community. It becomes very easy to stigmatize an entire minority within the larger majority when the sub-group is small enough, has fewer voices, and can be lumped in with one persons actions. I have always felt, like it or not that the larger CGC community doesn’t quite care for the crazy foreign guys for whatever reason. Not that I see a direct attack on us necessarily but do sometimes catch little indirect digs….. I feel like many in the majority put up with us but maybe quite possibly also relish when things like this happen so as to discount what we do or who we are. Maybe im wrong, and seeing things through some biased filter but this is how I feel at the moment. And further more… im not even necessarily saying that the earlier posters meant anything negative/alienating when saying things like “international contacts” or “foreign variants”. But, these are buzzwords associated with the niche and the foreign collecting sub-community at large. So do be wary because what can be considered jokes at solarcadet’s expense could also be viewed as underhanded jabs in the foreign guys direction when considered in the context of a public face of a small minority within a larger majority. Just sayin….

@Slym I voted no, not because I am a shill but because of personal beliefs. Also, growing up I was taught that even when our friends or family do dumb or wrong things we stick by them and attempt to give them the benefit of the doubt. Even if it means taking licks which has happened to me in the past both metaphorically and physically. Will I be deemed guilty by association? Judged, or possibly be called out as an enabler by the forums at large? Let the pieces fall where they may for I know my integrity is whole and those that know me can speak to this. I do not need a forum or others to dictate that to me….

Redemption for Solarcadet? Possible…. Like I said I don’t think long term nefarious-ness was involved in Tonys decision making process. He f’ed up for sure, but I do think bad snap judgment calls and questionable anger related issues were partially to blame.

Redemption is a tough word and at this point I think has a lot to do with respect… and im not sure where Tony’s respect levels lie with this place anymore because of some of his reactions to this whole thing. I do think I know where the forums respect levels seem to lie in Tonys direction though. Respect is a 2 way street and must be moving in both directions in order for redemption to be possible….. My hope is he can take a break from all of this and come to a place where he can return and make amends on both the forums and his terms. I do think an apology is in order and it appeared like he did try to make things right. Could he possibly build back the forums trust? At this level of poo storm though it may not be possible…… Tony may have burned his bridges with this place forever and on some level that could be the justifiably organic result. Like a ceramic plate that is dropped and shatters on the floor sometimes there are just too many pieces to attempt to glue them back together. (shrug)

Whatever happens…. even though I don’t always agree with Solarcadet’s actions I consider Tony a close friend. And, for his sake hope this can blow over and he can get back to the foreign niche I know he and I both love. Tony has done a lot of good for a lot of collectors around here… my hope is some of that be considered in his very public trial.

I will not be discussing or posting about this publicly any further… Any further communication or statements by me concerning my views on this matter can be found out via PM or we can discuss it in person at the Indy con coming up in March. I am way to busy to give this matter more energy as I am on deadline for issue 2 of FCC magazine which drops in a couple days.

Thanks for hearing me out….. :gossip:

Edited by Define999

So I just spent about an hour of my life going thru multiple posts about what Tony AKA solarcadet did recently in the marketplace. :facepalm: Being as it seems this is a very public trial the least I owe Tony before he is hanged is my opinion and history of his character.

He hanged himself. It's one thing to not follow the written rules and then not your own. Its another thing to become belligerent on here and start asking for it. Well, he got it.

Also, concerning LSComics question asking for clarity on some of the foreigns comments….. I do not think he was being out of line at all requesting clarification. Being that Tony is one of the most outspoken members of the small little sub-community here that collects foreigns, like it or not he is one very public face of our little sub-community. It becomes very easy to stigmatize an entire minority within the larger majority when the sub-group is small enough, has fewer voices, and can be lumped in with one persons actions. I have always felt, like it or not that the larger CGC community doesn’t quite care for the crazy foreign guys for whatever reason. Not that I see a direct attack on us necessarily but do sometimes catch little indirect digs….. I feel like many in the majority put up with us but maybe quite possibly also relish when things like this happen so as to discount what we do or who we are. Maybe im wrong, and seeing things through some biased filter but this is how I feel at the moment. And further more… im not even necessarily saying that the earlier posters meant anything negative/alienating when saying things like “international contacts” or “foreign variants”. But, these are buzzwords associated with the niche and the foreign collecting sub-community at large. So do be wary because what can be considered jokes at solarcadet’s expense could also be viewed as underhanded jabs in the foreign guys direction when considered in the context of a public face of a small minority within a larger majority. Just sayin….

That was a well thought out and detailed response.

Just wanted to make mention of how off-base lscomics was about me disparaging the international comic collecting community. If anyone would have cared to ask they would have found out that I am one of the more long standing and established foreign variant guys. I've established contacts with publishers on several continents and dozens of countries to get NM books across the globe and in the hands of collectors. If you have a Serbian Image book in your collection there's a 90% chance it came over in one of my purchases. If you have an Argentinian book it's probably 35-40% from one of my transactions.

That's why when someone gets mad about what they think is a knee-jerk reaction and they proceed to make their own knee-jerk reaction they may find themselves on the -end of being wrong.

It was never about foreign variants, it was about people being willing to justify and rationalize anything to get their hands on sweet-sweet books or sweet-sweet cash. Some comic collectors will let anything go to get their fix. That includes making excuses for behavior that, without the incentive of personal interest, they would never tolerate otherwise.

Thanks Matt

the witchunt and mobbing never stops so I just sit back and laugh

i already made amends with the Spiderfein. no ones cares about that so keep the hating going

I just hunt comics that are not for sale on websites and hook people up like Matt, Hado, and just recently Ronnie(Amazing RJS). i have never stolen one red cent from anyone in the forum. Im actually putting together Christmas gift mailouts today for them.

Im ok with the validation of the few people that i still do private deals and hook up. You can ask Spiderfein if i made an attempt.

I have a good job, girlfriend, daughter, family, and cat. I stopped traffic on the 110 last Tuesday in front of the DMV and saved a dog named Pulga and found her home. in doing so Im missed my appointment and my Drivers License is now expired. :makepoint:

in good faith all i can offer is to help anyone find a foregin edition of their favorite key.

My spelling is bad due to typing on a smart phone but I prefer anyone to criticize that as well. lol

He hanged himself. It's one thing to not follow the written rules and then not your own. Its another thing to become belligerent on here and start asking for it. Well, he got it.

His actions were akin to CAPFreak and his "I dare you to stop me from posting" posts.

Did CAPFreak actually have a transaction go bad, or was it his attitude and overall actions that got him put on the HoS list?

hm

-slym