• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Manufactured Gold

2,576 posts in this topic

Wow. blush.gif

It was disassembled twice? Once to put the best cover on top, and then rearranged back to remove the switched covers notation?

And since the grades bumped up is it safe to assume the cleaning/pressing was probably done while the covers were off? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Chalk another notch in your belt Chief. Great find.

Interesting indeed.

So would CGC PLOD this book if told about it?

What exactly is their policy regarding this?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Ze-

That one there has some serious stank on it....from what was done.

Whoever is doing the manipulation must be doing a very good job, or CGC is just getting a bit lazy regarding checking the staple holes etc.

That book should be qualified at best, and PLOD for the work to increase a 9.0 cover to an interior 9.4.

Interesting indeed.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Ze-

They grade the book that's in front of them at the time of grading.

They don't pay any attention to the history or what's been done to a book unless it is evident and they can spot it at the time of grading. No searching of archives, comparison of scans, or anything like that.

That's why we see easily traceable pedigree books going from 4.0 all the way up to 9.0, and everything other permutation in between, all the while still sitting in their "safe" little blue labels. foreheadslap.gif

Interesting indeed.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Ze-

They grade the book that's in front of them at the time of grading.

They don't pay any attention to the history or what's been done to a book unless it is evident and they can spot it at the time of grading. No searching of archives, comparison of scans, or anything like that.

That's why we see easily traceable pedigree books going from 4.0 all the way up to 9.0, and everything other permutation in between, all the while still sitting in their "safe" little blue labels. foreheadslap.gif

Yes I know all that, let me rephrase the question.

Hypothetically speaking of course

Would CGC slap it in a plod(or other) if presented with the facts in this thread? i.e.. how far would CGC go to prevent a book like this from continuing to float around knowing it should be graded differently?

From the original submitter all the way to the most recent, CGC has to have a pretty good idea who had the book worked on.

Grading the book in front of you is one thing, but taking proactive measures to prevent a misgraded book from being sold and resold would be of some importance.

Make some calls, fass up they blew the job, pay out if need be , even buy the book back.

How should stuff like this be handled, other then the obvious choice of doing nothing.

I admit it is bigger then me to figure out, but it sure is fun to watch unfold.

Ze-

How should stuff like this be handled, other then the obvious choice of doing nothing.

*Sigh*

The "Everything I've learned about Certified Books" Redux:

- 20%: Percentage of dealers and collectors who "game" the system.

- 10%: Percenrage of dealers and collectors who find the (now) dozens of instances of book manipulation, questionable business practices, etc. revealed on these boards disgusting and or troublesome.

- 70%: Percentage of collectors who don't know and/or don't care.

Right may be on our side, but the percentages sure ain't.

There is something else I wanted to ask.... who exactly is MasterChief? Has anyone met him at a Con and is willing to vouch for him?

Not to pooh-pooh on a Forumite who is obviously willing to devote a lot of personal time and effort in bringing a lot of these books to light, BUT, when I see a poster with precious few posts AND a incredibly in-depth knowledge of restoration and imaging know-how, I immediately start thinking of one person..... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Is the identity of the contributing poster really important when discussing the books in this thread? Probably not. But still.....

I will vouch. thumbsup2.gif

And no it aint RH

Not met him in person, but every PM I have had with Chief seemed to be on the up and up. I dont see a hidden agenda, other then wanting to get the word out on funny books who went to the doctor.

I did flat out ask him about what his involvement in the hobby was, and he was very forthcoming about himself. Not my place to say those details here though.

He might be a shill, but I doubt it.

Ze-