• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Manufactured Gold

2,576 posts in this topic

another well laid-out example of cracking and resubmitting (after some work has been done) for a higher grade.

great stuff here................ 893applaud-thumb.gif

thanks for the continuing education........... thumbsup2.gif

the boys can continue fighting, now...................... crazy.gif

Almost every single post tth, you talk about people being irresponsible, and posting opinions as facts, and making claims that aren't true. And yet, unless I'm missing something, you still haven't been able to show one, not ONE, example of this going on despite all the times you have been asked to do so.

Please show me one sentence where someone represents an opinion as fact. Or represents something to definitely be true that in fact is not true. Basically one single statement from this now 58 page thread that you feel rises to the legal definition of libel. (And please no excuses for having a weak example like "Well this is the first one I found." Please pick the best example you can think of. You now have 58 pages to choose from. If this is a serious problem the way you are making it out to be, you should be able to find some very good examples)

Actually, I don`t think I`ve ever said anything about posting opinions as facts. confused-smiley-013.gif

What I`ve said is that people shouldn`t speculate in a way that`s harmful to someone else without some facts to back up the speculation. And yes, some of that speculation has been done in such a conclusive manner that it could lead someone to believe that it was a statement of fact. Or, if a certain line of speculation is repeated enough times, people begin to accept it as fact.

Go back in this thread to where Redhook and I start going at it. He asks Bullet and myself to list examples of unfounded speculation. I provide at least 3 examples, including the one that started it all, that Heritage buy books themselves, press them up and then resell them on Heritage. If you follow the boards at all, you know that there have been threads containing such speculations. I`m not going to go dig them up for you.

By the way, just labeling something as an "opinion" doesn`t give you a free pass. If I say something like "In my opinion, Filter might be [remainder of sentence deleted]", does that suddenly make it okay for me to say it?

You've attempted to undermine the credibility of this thread by choosing this time and place to go on a general tirade against what you consider speculation.

We get it Tim. You've made your opinion quite clear.

Now I think you have to let the chips fall where they may, and let the readers of this thread decide for themselves. From what I've seen, the vast majority of posters would prefer it if you just shut up already, and quit setting yourself on fire to draw attention away from the main issues here.

I do find it revealing that you continue to paint that juggernaut of a corporation, Heritage, as defenseless and alone. It's totally absurd.

Below: that poor mom and pop outfit known as Heritage......

bldg_large.jpg

By the way, just labeling something as an "opinion" doesn`t give you a free pass. If I say something like "In my opinion, Filter might be a pedophile because I`ve seen him staring at little kids", does that suddenly make it okay for me to say it?

Nice example there. screwy.gif

Go back in this thread to where Redhook and I start going at it. He asks Bullet and myself to list examples of unfounded speculation. I provide at least 3 examples, including the one that started it all, that Heritage buy books themselves, press them up and then resell them on Heritage. If you follow the boards at all, you know that there have been threads containing such speculations. I`m not going to go dig them up for you.

Honestly Tim, no doubt there are better examples than this one. There is certainly anecdotal evidence, both in documentary form and verbal, that can reasonably lead someone to conclude the assertion to be the case. Additionally, exactly what would be the defamatory damages anyway? Many people have pointed out that the press and resub game is neither illegal nor unethical. That might not be a view that others share, including myself, but it would go to whether concluding Heritage engages in such activity could be construed as defamatory or not.

That said, I agree with your underlying principle that unfounded or unsupported allegations should not be promoted on the boards.

We get it Tim. You've made your opinion quite clear.

As have you, Brad. But I don't see you shutting up.

From what I've seen, the vast majority of posters would prefer it if you just shut up already

Ooh, there's that old peer pressure thing again. wink.gif Must... conform... Must... take... orders... from... Brad... the... self-appointed... spokesman... of... peer... group... or... will... be... shunned... by... them.

The whole point of protections for minorities is to prevent majorities from running roughshod over them. gossip.gif

I do find it revealing that you continue to paint that juggernaut of a corporation, Heritage, as defenseless and alone. It's totally absurd.

Talk about putting a completely inaccurate spin on things to fit your particular world view. Or you're just incredibly dense. Heritage just happens to be the fact situation that came up in this thread. It's the principle that I'm defending. If someone came on here and said that "Brad [remainder of sentence deleted]", I'd defend you against that kind of speculation too.

Below: that poor mom and pop outfit known as Heritage......

bldg_large.jpg

From buffyfan's thread :

"The building is nice and all, but Heritage does not occupy the entire building, just the top floors.

The building is not anything I haven't seen before in nicer office buildings." 27_laughing.gif

Honestly Tim, no doubt there are better examples than this one. There is certainly anecdotal evidence, both in documentary form and verbal, that can reasonably lead someone to conclude the assertion to be the case. Additionally, exactly what would be the defamatory damages anyway? Many people have pointed out that the press and resub game is neither illegal nor unethical. That might not be a view that others share, including myself, but it would go to whether concluding Heritage engages in such activity could be construed as defamatory or not.

That said, I agree with your underlying principle that unfounded or unsupported allegations should not be promoted on the boards.

Mark, it was just the straw that broke the camel's back. Damages are hardly the issue here, because as Brad is so fond of pointing out, none of this is affecting Heritage's bottomline anyway nor do they really need me to defend them.

The point is that people make harmful unfounded and unsupported allegations all the time about all sorts of things on these boards, and I just got sick of it and registered my objection publicly. These people usually aren't challenged, particularly if they make their allegations about the boards' most popular whipping boys, because people don't want to be subjected to the inevitable gang abuse that I've been subjected to here over the last few days.

I've spent the last three years on this board being told I'm part of a minority, who nobody listens to and who will ultimately have no effect on anything.

All of a sudden I'm one of the "cool kids"?

I think I'm gonna' stick around! yay.gif

Um... I can honestly say I never thought I'd have to type this... but for anyone just tuning into this thread now on page 60.... I don't stare at little kids..

tonofbricks.gif

You mean you "allegedly" don't stare at little kids. poke2.gif

"Senator, when did you stop beating your wife!!!"

"What! I don't beat my wife!"

Ahhhhhhhh, so you deny it then!"

Um... I can honestly say I never thought I'd have to type this... but for anyone just tuning into this thread now on page 60.... I don't stare at little kids..

tonofbricks.gif

Sorry Filter, I'm going to go back and delete the reference right now (and for Brad too). I just wanted to use a very extreme example of distasteful speculation to illustrate my point.

tth2 and others:

it is my opinion that you are undermining this thread and making it difficult to observe

the undected restoration etc. of these crack and re-sub books that MasterChief etc. are posting.

we don't need you to tell us that some of the claims people make on here are speculation, some circumstantial and some factual.

but since you have minorly insulted me (by trying to tell me what to believe etc.), thank you.

i realize you may be a nice/good guy, but my impression after reading this thread is that either you are playing devil's advocate (which i and others don't need), or you are close to retarded.

please go away, i am trying to observe the greed etc. in this hobby.

i am trying to be a savvy buyer, learning which dealers have shady 'goings on' , which books to stay away from, and which grading companies are unable to detect restoration on high profile books that have been submitted numerous times and had numerous grades and multiple sales in short periods of time.

anyway, please, please, please do not hijack the other manufactured gold thread...