• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,898 posts in this topic

Based on a craigslist ad, went to a garage sale where 1,000s of comics were advertised at ten for a dollar. I got there, and it was more like a few hundred books. I did manage to pull about ten books including an Iron Fist 14 in about VG+ condition.

Gotta love HPB!

I only once found good deals on comics there. Usually pretty disappointing.

But I'll have to check for these clearance days.

I think each store has one person that prices comics, there are some stores whose prices are close to normal, most are pretty high though. They mark down their stuff every 4-6 months, but the markdowns are usually significant. The Sandman run I got was previously priced $46 but sometime this month it was cut almost in half.

The clearance bin is mostly garbage, but I've put together a package to send mycomicshop for $23 in trade that cost me about $8.

Gotta love HPB!

I wish we had a HPB. I always hear about the great deals. I have The Strand which is good for tpb but they put price stickers on the covers of the comics. :o

These posts have reminded me that there are 2 Half Price Books stores in the Oklahoma City area. We've only been here for about 9 months so I didn't know they sold comics at these stores. I need to go check 'em out though. Might find a few deals there. hm

last show i was at a guy came up to the table and told me he had purchased a spiderman 1 at a garage sale for 50 cents. i didn't believe him but he brought it with and voila!!! it was the real thing.

i gave him 1600 smackers for it!!!!!

last show i was at a guy came up to the table and told me he had purchased a spiderman 1 at a garage sale for 50 cents. i didn't believe him but he brought it with and voila!!! it was the real thing.

I'll give you $1800 for it

Found these (c.1967) in our local antiques mall for $20 :luhv::whee:

According to a guide I bought 5 years ago, I made a 500% "profit" (not that I'm selling them)

Red6.jpg

I will gladly give you 21.00 for those...

Not 100% sure, but I believe this was one of the bootleg sets that were produced in the early 80s. I bought the same set for around $15 in the mid 90s. The first 2 sets were grey then silver. The 3rd issue was in assorted bright colors. The bootlegs were produced in the 80's when someone got a hold of the original molds.

Still, a very cool set...

Pic please :foryou:

Found these (c.1967) in our local antiques mall for $20 :luhv::whee:

According to a guide I bought 5 years ago, I made a 500% "profit" (not that I'm selling them)

Red6.jpg

I will gladly give you 21.00 for those...

Not 100% sure, but I believe this was one of the bootleg sets that were produced in the early 80s. I bought the same set for around $15 in the mid 90s. The first 2 sets were grey then silver. The 3rd issue was in assorted bright colors. The bootlegs were produced in the 80's when someone got a hold of the original molds.

Still, a very cool set...

If I remember correctly, the color has very little to do with it. I believe the original molds were used in Mexico in either the late 70's or early 80's. The only way to differentiate the originals and the Mexican ones is the circles on the underside of the base. The originals have the date on them, while the Mexican ones have a blank circle. If someone else remembers for certain, I'd love to hear from them.

Also, the silver ones were apparently part of a mail-away MMMS promotion. For some reason, though, I believe they show up in Canada more frequently.

I bought a set in the 90s from a dealer that had stacks of them at a show. He informed me that they were the Mexico bootlegs & he could get as many as I wanted. The set I own is definitely the later bootleg version & it has the date (XVII) on the bottom. The date info was deleted out for some of the bootlegs, but having the date definitely doesn't authenticate the figures.

I have to disagree with an earlier post that said the colors have very little to do with authenticating the figures. The red color used in the 3rd authorized set is much different than the red used in the bootleg set which I own (which is he same as the photo shown in this thread).

All the sets use the same mold, so whether it was made in 1967, 1970, 1972 or the later bootlegs, they will all show the 1967 date ( with the exception of when the writing was removed from the base).

There are many, many bootlegs with the the dating on the bottom. I would estimate that 90% of the sets seen on ebay are the bootlegs, even though they try to pawn them off as the originals.

Went to Rhode Island for a week on vacation and picked up the following at a couple different antique stores and a used book store for a little over a hundred clams (most of that on the Weird Fantasy 14, which I'm very happy with). I actually could have picked up quite a bit more, but was limited to what I could take home with me.

112694.jpg.220b1f0a1c1cef826ca636b18c98c5bb.jpg