• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,859 posts in this topic

Despicable? Yes. Thief? No

I think there's not quite enough info here to start organizing a witch hunt just yet. How old was this guy? And when did he make this purchase? And how well does he know the old lady? And, you know, what is he planning on doing with the book?

If he bought this 25 years ago from a friendly old neighbor who is now deceased, and he plans on keeping the book for the rest of his life or something, that's a little different than scamming someone last week in order to flip it.

I think there's not quite enough info here to start organizing a witch hunt just yet. How old was this guy? And when did he make this purchase? And how well does he know the old lady? And, you know, what is he planning on doing with the book?

If he bought this 25 years ago from a friendly old neighbor who is now deceased, and he plans on keeping the book for the rest of his life or something, that's a little different than scamming someone last week in order to flip it.

Thanks for quelling the mob and again, I'll have to confirm and the details are scare. Also not sure if its THE Cap #2 as the guy doesn't know a whole lot about comics and he doesnt know a great deal about it's worth, I think he may think it's worth a pretty penny, but I'm skeptical if he knows its real worth because I think he would have sold it. He bought it a while ago (don't know specifically) and its just hanging on his wall. I'll reach out and see if I can get a pic, and if it is "THE" issue, I'll ask for some details.

This was the first time I met the guy so it could have just been false bravado. I'll keep everyone posted. I'll ask when my friends honeymoon is over.

I am not a lawyer, nor an American, but in Canada we were taught in our law course for engineers that a contract or transaction is not binding if the purchaser knows the seller does not understand the object's true value, and the purchaser then buys it for a ridiculously low price. It's not theft, and you can't call the police. But you could sue with a lawyer if Grampa sold a copy of Action #1 for $10.

I am not a lawyer, nor an American, but in Canada we were taught in our law course for engineers that a contract or transaction is not binding if the purchaser knows the seller does not understand the object's true value, and the purchaser then buys it for a ridiculously low price. It's not theft, and you can't call the police. But you could sue with a lawyer if Grampa sold a copy of Action #1 for $10.

Also agree, just because something is actionable from a civil perspective does not make it a crime, nor does it make someone a thief.

I think there's a lot of people who don't see the distinction, but there certainly is one.

Also agree, just because something is actionable from a civil perspective does not make it a crime, nor does it make someone a thief.

I think there's a lot of people who don't see the distinction, but there certainly is one.

Uhhh....I was using "thief" as a figure of speech. I didn't mean he actually stole the comic. But if in fact it was THE Captain America Comics #2, then he severely underpaid her and took advantage of an old woman. Is that better? Sheesh.....

I'll have to confirm this but I was just at my friend wedding. Met his brother, big Cap fan. He said he got Captain America 2 for $5 from an old lady next door.

If that's actually Captain America Comics #2 then this friend's brother is a thief.

I'm usually not one for piling on but that is just despicable...especially if she's on a fixed income.

I have known dealers to do this without a second thought. Sad and despicable, but unfortunately part of human nature.

Guarantee of the day: it will turn out to be an Alan Light Flashback reprint.

Uhhh....I was using "thief" as a figure of speech. I didn't mean he actually stole the comic. But if in fact it was THE Captain America Comics #2, then he severely underpaid her and took advantage of an old woman. Is that better? Sheesh.....

Actually, a pretty minor distinction. And morally speaking, not much of a distinction whatsoever.

I think if you're going to call someone a 'Thief' for that then the item/value shouldn't make a difference. The argument is based on the buyer taking advantage of the seller's lack of knowledge. By that logic you can make the case that 90% of the finds in this thread fall into that category.

At what dollar value does it make it okay? A 1$ book for sale worth $40, $100, $1000? Seems arbitrary. Not pointing fingers at anyone here, just seems like a subjective double-edge sword.

Edited by spreads

Save your reasonableness and logic for another time and place. We're busy vilifying a guy we don't know regarding an instance in which we know also most none of the facts.

I think if you're going to call someone a 'Thief' for that then the item/value shouldn't make a difference. The argument is based on the buyer taking advantage of the seller's lack of knowledge. By that logic you can make the case that 90% of the finds in this thread fall into that category.

At what dollar value does it make it okay? A 1$ book for sale worth $40, $100, $1000? Seems arbitrary. Not pointing fingers at anyone here, just seems like a subjective double-edge sword.

I'll have to confirm this but I was just at my friend wedding. Met his brother, big Cap fan. He said he got Captain America 2 for $5 from an old lady next door.

If that's actually Captain America Comics #2 then this friend's brother is a thief.

I'm usually not one for piling on but that is just despicable...especially if she's on a fixed income.

I have known dealers to do this without a second thought. Sad and despicable, but unfortunately part of human nature.

Guarantee of the day: it will turn out to be an Alan Light Flashback reprint.

That or a Captain America Annual #2

Save your reasonableness and logic for another time and place. We're busy vilifying a guy we don't know regarding an instance in which we know also most none of the facts.

Nobody's vilifying anybody until we know the whole story. That's why I started my sentence with an "if".

10-4! (thumbs u

Today I went to a local flea market early this morning - after when I found an ad on CL saying that there are some old comic books selling in there. Since it was 45 mins drive, I figure "why not? Never know what I'll find while browse". See, on the CL ad - I saw 2 books with a 35 cent price tag variant in one picture. Had confirmed with my list to be positive variant ones.

So... I went and this is what I found and brought. No 35 cents variants! :eyeroll: It figures... someone must had used an old photo to put in the CL ad. But there were couple of venders who has some short/long boxes of derks, some SA/BA/CA comics and moderns. This is what I got for $20.

comicbookforumsonly-sellcomics013_zpsd1509a5c.jpg

comicbookforumsonly-sellcomics014_zpsa4da851f.jpg