• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,859 posts in this topic

I used to have about 35 of them...the only one I kept was the FF hardcover one, for sentimental reasons. :)

On the Marvel/DC books, are you talking about ones that are this size/shape?

$_57.JPG

Peace,

Chip

I loved those as a kid! I have them downstairs along with Spidey, Cap and others. Got me into reading and collecting Conan.

I used to have about 35 of them...the only one I kept was the FF hardcover one, for sentimental reasons. :)

$_57.JPG

Peace,

Chip

Right up there as one of my favourite comic book formats. I don't see enough of these, otherwise I'd have more. I lucked into a large collection of these going back some 4-5 years ago, which pushed up my total to nearly 100. I have them sitting in an Iron Man DVD movie stand I got from a retailer, and it works like a great bookshelf for these. These and the blue ribbon digests are among some of my favourites.

$_57.JPG

Peace,

Chip

Right up there as one of my favourite comic book formats. I don't see enough of these, otherwise I'd have more. I lucked into a large collection of these going back some 4-5 years ago, which pushed up my total to nearly 100. I have them sitting in an Iron Man DVD movie stand I got from a retailer, and it works like a great bookshelf for these. These and the blue ribbon digests are among some of my favourites.

Not sure if this is appropriate, but if anyone can give me advice as to "value" that would be appreciated.

$_57.JPG

Peace,

Chip

Not sure if this is appropriate, but if anyone can give me advice as to "value" that would be appreciated.

Roughly between $10-15.... And sometimes up to $20 for the more popular story covers...

Not on eBay. I've sold them for $3-7 each (both Marvel and DC). I can't get an offer for more than $23 on the Conans above and they're in really nice shape.

Peace,

Chip

Subtle.

Not that kind of intent at all. Just stating a fact regarding the value & popularity of these kinds of books. It's a consignment item. I could sell it for $50 and still not make much at all.

Peace,

Chip

We do lots of garage sales throughout the summer. I don't find much comic related stuff, but I have been wanting to post to this thread for some time. Here's the best I got so far that is remotely related to comics. Hopefully, not too far afield.

I bought a big pile of Life Magazines with about 125 between 1939 and 1945 (most between 1941 and 1944). The war year propaganda is fantastic. There are several ads from this period for which I have been searching (I'm doing a book on Nash Kelvinator ads). The first copy I picked up (USSR Scientists, lower left) has a letter from a woman explaining why pin-up art may give servicemen unrealistic expectations of women when they return home. She even included a drawing showing the differing proportions. Plus, there are ads with George Petty and similar art. Great stuff all around. This was a craigslist find for $135. I wish I could buy 125 early 1940 comic books for $135...

010_zps2732965d.jpg

We do lots of garage sales throughout the summer. I don't find much comic related stuff, but I have been wanting to post to this thread for some time. Here's the best I got so far that is remotely related to comics. Hopefully, not too far afield.

I bought a big pile of Life Magazines with about 125 between 1939 and 1945 (most between 1941 and 1944). The war year propaganda is fantastic. There are several ads from this period for which I have been searching (I'm doing a book on Nash Kelvinator ads). The first copy I picked up (USSR Scientists, lower left) has a letter from a woman explaining why pin-up art may give servicemen unrealistic expectations of women when they return home. She even included a drawing showing the differing proportions. Plus, there are ads with George Petty and similar art. Great stuff all around. This was a craigslist find for $135. I wish I could buy 125 early 1940 comic books for $135...

010_zps2732965d.jpg

Nice buy. Lots of interesting history in those.

010_zps2732965d.jpg

And they are becoming harder to come by. I have obtained a few issues here and there but never seen a boatload.

And they are becoming harder to come by. I have obtained a few issues here and there but never seen a boatload.

Let me know if you ever want a boatload. When we went to the big antique mall in Florence there was one booth with well over 1,000 of them. I didn't inquire about them (zero profit to be had, for sure) but I flipped through several. It's really neat to see the time period reflected in them. :)

Peace,

Chip

I've seen more ad pages that have been cut out of Life Magazines than I've seen complete mags. I don't know what the market is like on those, but it's sad.

Found another star wars. The guy from last week didn't setup again. This copy is ok but a corner crease and crunch at the bottom hurt. Seller had printed out a sale of a random star wars issue graded at 9.8 listed on eBay to explain his pricing.

The aliens figures aren't worth anything but I had to snag them as a fan of the movies.

IMAG2434_zps0frndoi_edit_1416694246103_zpsjog0lqkh.jpg

Edited by yecul

Found another star wars. The guy from last week didn't setup again. This copy is ok but a corner crease and crunch at the bottom hurt. Seller had printed out a sale of a random star wars issue graded at 9.8 listed on eBay to explain his pricing.

The aliens figures aren't worth anything but I had to snag them as a fan of the movies.

IMAG2434_zps0frndoi_edit_1416694246103_zpsjog0lqkh.jpg

funny you should post those aliens and predator figure. apparently another company has remade a bunch of predators and aliens and predators and they are selling like crazy.. i just purchased an Ahab Predator from the new Fire and stone series this week on ebay.

i think the older ones sealed should be worth something..

I've seen more ad pages that have been cut out of Life Magazines than I've seen complete mags. I don't know what the market is like on those, but it's sad.

Given what I have paid for a couple ads and what I have seen ads sell for, these are worth more broken apart than they are complete. Pretty sad, actually. Many of the ads are very cool though.

Just acquired a fellow local collector's stuff as he is relocating to California for a new job. About 12 long boxes, 40 short boxes, prints, posters, a few statues, some toys, older price guides paperbacks, magazines...just tons of stuff. It'll take me quite a while to organize it all, but there are some neat things here. I'll take pics as I go through it all. :)

Peace,

Chip

Just acquired a fellow local collector's stuff as he is relocating to California for a new job. About 12 long boxes, 40 short boxes, prints, posters, a few statues, some toys, older price guides paperbacks, magazines...just tons of stuff. It'll take me quite a while to organize it all, but there are some neat things here. I'll take pics as I go through it all. :)

Peace,

Chip

:popcorn:

Peace,

Chip

Will you be selling any of it on the boards?

Probably not the comics. It's a massive undertaking to organize it all since it's only me and I have limited space to spread stuff out. As far as the comic stuff goes, it's mostly Copper/Modern Age and there's nothing that impressive at all in there. I found a MSH Winter Special, a NM set of Legends, a copy of Taboo #2, Hulk #449, Platt Moon Knights, Ex Machina/Alias/100 Bullets (and other desired titles I know nothing about but recognized the names), X-Men Annual #14, Spawn #1 & #9, blah blah blah.

The problem is I knew he was selling off his collection over a year ago because he was out of work so I would tip him off on hot books that were selling well. So now I'm left with the dregs around those hot issues. There's Batman Adventures without the #12, Thor without the #344, Hulk without the #271, etc.

There are a few nice non-comic pieces that I will probably offer here first. Some Wrightson stuff (a statue and a signed print), a couple of eclectic statues (King Kong, Jack Sparrow), the older Overstreets, some weird portfolios (Jeff Jones, Tim Vigil) and stuff like that. Once I get it organized and photographed, that is. I was backlogged with 400 of my own auctions when he called me, so I'm behind to begin with. :)

I'd kill for some office space and an assistant!

Peace,

Chip

Edited by Chip Cataldo