• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,859 posts in this topic

just picked up a stack of 50 dollar books i had asked a shop to hold for me for a while. while nothing in there jumped out as me as an expensive book erroneously filed in the dollar box, i thought a lot of them had some potential even if i did not know what they might be worth and did not feel like looking them up on my phone.

i cannot believe how off i was. every single oddball indie i thought had some potential (a lot of them were tim vigil books) turned out to be dollar books, the spidey clone books i bought turned out to be the ones nobody wants and on and on. aside from some low grade 12 cent cover price charlton hot rod comics which i know are better than $1 books, the best i probably did was getting a nice spawn 229 and 153. never have a i bought this many dollar box books with so little upside. i must be losing my magic touch or perhaps i need to learn the late copper/modern market a little better.

It happens every now and then. I took a gamble from a thrift store and bought a "mystery" longbox for $50. No Marvel, DC, or even anything recognizable in there. Not even the 1 billion printed Valiant books. Just a bunch of junk. I was just gonna burn it, but instead I donated it to Goodwill.

well, i knew exactly what is was buying, but erroneously believed more of it was better than dollar box fodder than it really was. i know it's not all about the flip but i feel better when i lay out a chunk of change and know that i could get it back if i wanted to sell 20% of the books I bought and keep the rest. here i would have troubles breaking even after fees, not to mention the time. oh well.

just picked up a stack of 50 dollar books i had asked a shop to hold for me for a while. while nothing in there jumped out as me as an expensive book erroneously filed in the dollar box, i thought a lot of them had some potential even if i did not know what they might be worth and did not feel like looking them up on my phone.

i cannot believe how off i was. every single oddball indie i thought had some potential (a lot of them were tim vigil books) turned out to be dollar books, the spidey clone books i bought turned out to be the ones nobody wants and on and on. aside from some low grade 12 cent cover price charlton hot rod comics which i know are better than $1 books, the best i probably did was getting a nice spawn 229 and 153. never have a i bought this many dollar box books with so little upside. i must be losing my magic touch or perhaps i need to learn the late copper/modern market a little better.

It happens every now and then. I took a gamble from a thrift store and bought a "mystery" longbox for $50. No Marvel, DC, or even anything recognizable in there. Not even the 1 billion printed Valiant books. Just a bunch of junk. I was just gonna burn it, but instead I donated it to Goodwill.

well, i knew exactly what is was buying, but erroneously believed more of it was better than dollar box fodder than it really was. i know it's not all about the flip but i feel better when i lay out a chunk of change and know that i could get it back if i wanted to sell 20% of the books I bought and keep the rest. here i would have troubles breaking even after fees, not to mention the time. oh well.

There's a lesson to be learned by this story, but I wouldn't count on anyone figuring out what it is...

Okay, I got myself into a little trouble by dipping into a savings account we have for home repairs. I can always put it back, but could not pass up on this. Saw an ad on Craigslist of an estate sale that had some books that were of dalies. Man I am glad I went. I needed $500 more to try and buy him out. There was a lot more left. When we got there a gentle was already leaving with three tubs of DC Archives and Marvel Masterworks.

Here is what I got and paid less than $10 each hardbound.

100_2610_zpsjmzjq8iz.jpg

100_2617_zpsufktl5bg.jpg

100_2614_zpsy3yzfjk6.jpg

100_2615_zpsjo1wwt3y.jpg

100_2611_zpsnmgay7vu.jpg

100_2612_zpskzvhaxzg.jpg

My wife wanted these and I was just charged $10 for the stack.

100_2618_zpsfempvswz.jpg

There's a lesson to be learned by this story, but I wouldn't count on anyone figuring out what it is...

fortunately this is not the lesson thread, this is the garage sale/flea market thread

I pcked up a short box full of comics tonight at a local auction including a nice big run of Swamp Thing. Nice copies of #25 and #37 were in there. I also grabbed a lot which had great copies of Hulk #271 and #272. I'll post pics in the morning.

Ran across this listing today:

http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/clt/4891635110.html

Looking for Golden Age DC comics like old All Stars and More Fun Comics?

Well BUYER BEWARE when dealing with Tomorrow Treasures from Commack NY, who sold my nephew an old All Star with a 1st appearance of a major character .

Mr "Muchin" assured me that his adding "rice paper" to some seals was only conservation to the vintage comic and not restoration.

Well after some time had past and I packed and shipped it to CGC to grade and take a look at it, the awesome comic didn't even qualify for the "new" conservation label but was given the green "restored" label

After I contacted him through the internet he responded with insults and vulgarity.

From one comic enthusiast to another "beware!"

Tomorrows Treasures doesn't NOT recognize CGC or PGX as proper grading authorities.

And as such you will be over paying and very surprised and disappointed at the difference in price when you try to re-sell a restored comic book

Richard

I pcked up a short box full of comics tonight at a local auction including a nice big run of Swamp Thing. Nice copies of #25 and #37 were in there. I also grabbed a lot which had great copies of Hulk #271 and #272. I'll post pics in the morning.

Finally got around to taking pics of last night's auction winnings. Total of 126 comics in all including:

Avengers Annuals 6-9,11-13,15

Giant-Size Avengers 2,4,5

Incredible Hulk 271,272

Inhumans 1-12

Logan's Run 1-7

Sandman 1-6

Showcase 91-93

Swamp Thing 20-56 consecutive, Annual 2

th_BlanchardAuctionLot12-14-15_zps586d497e.jpgth_BlanchardAuctionLot22-14-15_zpsa5004da8.jpgth_BlanchardAuctionLot32-14-15_zps23d78b4e.jpgth_BlanchardAuctionLot42-14-15_zps4b93224e.jpg

th_BlanchardAuctionLot52-14-15_zps52b741ea.jpgth_BlanchardAuctionLot62-14-15_zps16641125.jpgth_BlanchardAuctionLot72-14-15_zps8bd750c8.jpgth_BlanchardAuctionLot82-14-15_zps2d586e72.jpgth_BlanchardAuctionLot92-14-15_zpsee3b271a.jpg