• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,841 posts in this topic

If you play fightings games, CRTs are still king.

I just found out about this recently. A gamer friend of mine nearly lost his mess when we found a Trinitron for next to nothing at a Peddler's Mall. I had no idea there was any market for CRT sets. I keep my eyes open these days.

thanks to someone posting a bulk deal on the book here and alerting me to it now being expensive, I scored a mid-grade Marvel Graphic Novel/Living Monolyth for less than $2 at a flea market over the weekend (I got two early 80s (bizarre adventures and a british mag reprinting on of the punisher magazine stories) marvel mags plus this for $5...I probably overpaid for the mags, but whatever)

I sold at the flea market yesterday. Always a long day but usually profitable. In the early morning after I set up my canopy, tables and display cases I usually take a walk to see what I can score. I hit the usual suspects first and came up with a few very cool non-comic items. I then bumped into a friend that collects Spiderman stuff. He informed me of a small stack of "10 centers" in another dealer's booth. So I high tailed off and discovered these for $2.00 each.

comiclot7_zps4lu7r361.jpg

Then, I walked the rows in the smaller top section. I came across a lady with a bin of '70's/'80's stuff. Always hoping for another Hulk #181 but it wasn't to be today. Just junk and I passed. As I was turning to leave I saw this:

comicbook1_zpsnvyv8ni9.jpg

Open it up

Then, I walked the rows in the smaller top section. I came across a lady with a bin of '70's/'80's stuff. Always hoping for another Hulk #181 but it wasn't to be today. Just junk and I passed. As I was turning to leave I saw this:

comicbook1_zpsnvyv8ni9.jpg

Trying to read the spine, but all I can make out is "book."

Now, here is where I could jerk you around but I won't. It wasn't any real big deal but a real fun find for $15. Some kid had some of his favorite books hand bound. Nothing real great or nice condition but a weird assortment. Disney, DC, Archie, Marvel Western and Fantasy, Romance, Teen Age and a cool Richfield Oil Disneyland giveaway. I love these when I find them and have found some real good ones in the past. So totally plain, if she didn't put the removable tape notation on the cover I never would have known. Here is just some of the 30 or so books in there. A fun, surprise find!

comicbook2_zpsddsvey1o.jpg

comicbook3_zpshxbqvlaz.jpg

comicbook4_zpswmhg9eda.jpg

comicbook5_zpsh4pzrnyt.jpg

comicbook6_zpsdixrajvs.jpg

Now, here is where I could jerk you around but I won't. It wasn't any real big deal but a real fun find for $15. Some kid had some of his favorite books hand bound. Nothing real great or nice condition but a weird assortment. Disney, DC, Archie, Marvel Western and Fantasy, Romance, Teen Age and a cool Richfield Oil Disneyland giveaway. I love these when I find them and have found some real good ones in the past. So totally plain, if she didn't put the removable tape notation on the cover I never would have known. Here is just some of the 30 or so books in there. A fun, surprise find!

comicbook2_zpsddsvey1o.jpg

comicbook3_zpshxbqvlaz.jpg

comicbook4_zpswmhg9eda.jpg

comicbook5_zpsh4pzrnyt.jpg

comicbook6_zpsdixrajvs.jpg

nice for $15 bucks I'd pick that up too

It is kind of strange. When I donate to the Salvation Army, people make comments about me being real religious. If I give to goodwill-- they say stuff about it really being a big business and not a charity. One time, I was trying to donate an old TV but the lady at the Goodwill trailer wouldn't take it. She said they only take flat screens now. I was not happy hearing this-- as I thought this stuff was supposed to help people in need. Do all the poor people in the world have no need for a tube TV? I got kind of upset-- left the donation trailer in a huff and decided to only give to the Salvation Army from then on-- since they never said no to a donation regardless of what it I was giving.

anyway-- I think I have to try the bigger Goodwill store instead. this one was mostly clothes racks.

Lugging CRTs are heavy as hell, and nobody wants 'em. Why wouldn't you check beforehand to see if they'd take it instead of bringing it there and getting pissed-off.

Also, in my city there are many individuals/companies that haul tvs away for free. You don't even have to leave your house.

I checked their website ahead of time and it said they took the items. Then the lady said no.

When I went to the Salvation Army trailer, they thanked me for the donation.

I know people don't want these things in general. But if you had NO TV and could not afford a flat screen-- would you rather have no TV or a tube TV?

Also-- I never said anything about CRTs. I recycle those at Best Buy.

Anything not digital is CRT to me; technology-generation, haha....I think I would still take no tv over a whopping hearniator!

Got a call to a barn/house on a road I drive down all the time. Turned out to be 20 banana boxes, each with 3 coffee boxes packed with comics. Almost everything was alphabetized, but unfortunately most of the collection was 90s drek. The owner told me that it hadn't been picked through, but many titles, especially first appearances, were missing from consecutive runs. No ASM or UXM titles to be found. Here are highlights of the 400+ books I bought. (TMNT is a 3rd print):

image_zpsjz7fitat.jpg

New to the boards, so this estate sale find was from right around the holidays.

It was for a resale shop that the original owner had passed away, and the heirs were getting rid of his inventory with an estate sale. I guess his shop started out as a camera shop, but morphed into anything he wanted to sell over the years, which included comics. All in all, over three floors of fun items to look through.

I could see from the pics ahead of time that there were some Famous First Editions in the mix, which I didn't have any of. So that's what I headed out for. Was 43rd in line, and saw a couple of other "comic book guys" in line ahead of me, so was sure that it was going to be slim pickings by the time I got in.

Boy was I wrong...

I did manage to get a complete collection of Famous First Editions in VF/NM to NM condition, as there was a ton of these. Also picked up some other Treasury sized books included the Supes/Spider-Man and Howard the Duck, although their condition was Fine at best. Missed the Superman/Muhammad Ali book by seconds as it was snatched from the table just as I got there.

Also got three copies of Lois Lane #106 (although only one was in decent shape, maybe 6.5), a couple of early Punishers mags (Preview #2 and Super Action #1), a few Batman giant-sized from the late 60's, and a slew of Lois Lane reader copies to fill in holes.

That there, I would have been happy with, but in searching through the 3rd floor after I had been there from over 2 hours I found an untouched box of comics. What was inside made my year!!

I'm a Superman collector, and had been looking to complete my run of Adventure Comics featuring Supergirl. Right there on top was issue #381...and behind it was 382, 383, 384, etc.. I couldn't believe my luck when there was every issue of the Supergirl run (#381-424). They weren't stored in bags and backers, so condition ranged from F to VF, but what a find!!

ADV-SG_zpspqgfrreu.jpg

And to make it even better, there was also complete runs of the Black Orchid and Spectre issues that followed.

ADV-BO_zpsuoqxoy16.jpg

ADV-BOS_zpsojpblada.jpg

ADV-Spectre_zpsythdaoe4.jpg

I managed to find an empty longbox and had it filled with these comics, plus a Superman marionette puppet and blow up punching bag in their original boxes. When I went to check out, the guy looked at my box and said "how about a $100?"

Sounded good to me!!

Edited by tomo

Great pick-ups, guys! I can't find ANY Walking Dead "in the wild" around here.

I did get in a personal collection this weekend, but it wasn't local. A very good friend of mine helped broker the deal. :) About 800 books total...with the highlights being Daredevil #2-up, most ASM keys from the Bronze & Copper Age (no #129), and a nice chunk of Avengers (#28 and #57 were present).

I'll post up some pics when I get a chance. :)