• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,859 posts in this topic

Went looking for comics. Found this.

Still looking for information on it, but one major dealer has told me its from the 1880's.

Its a glass negative of Lincoln at Antietam.

28ivjer.jpg

That is beyond cool. Probably worth quite a bit. Where did you find it?

:o:o:o

i've been seeing a lot of great finds on this thread, but this one beats them all...!!!

that's history at it's finest!!!

any chance on "developping it"?

regards

Still looking for information on it, but one major dealer has told me its from the 1880's.

28ivjer.jpg

I agree. I dont know if negatives could be duplicated, which leads me to believe this is an original?

If so, this could be worth well within the tens of thousands?

28ivjer.jpg

I agree. I dont know if negatives could be duplicated, which leads me to believe this is an original?

Man if that's an original, you've made one helluva find! Would be museum worthy.

28ivjer.jpg

Man if that's an original, you've made one helluva find! Would be museum worthy.

Wow what a great find of historical value. Very Cool!

I sort of remember something similar being on one of the reality shows- probably American Picker or Pawn Stars -- and the items were not original but copies made back in the late 19th century. They had value but were not crazy high dollar. Do some internet research-- you probably will find the information you need.

ps-- it is cool but I would caution against getting too excited yet

I'm in process of doing research and have contacted a few people as well. Not getting over excited so no worries there :)

Thus far, it's worth $2-3k worst case according to the Abraham Lincoln Book shop in IL. Problem is people have to see it in person as it is WAY too risky to ship. I have to find time to make it to DC....

28ivjer.jpg

They most definitely can, and this particular image has been in reproducable form for well over 100 years.

TheDude is correct in that a collection of roughly 600 slides were showcased in an episode of Pawn Stars. It's a format that went by the wayside in the early part of the 20th century, but there are still a large number of these glass slides available if one were interested in collecting them.

These were used with "Magic Lantern" slide projectors (see below), and I quite like them for their history, although tracking down a working projector can be a bit tough. The more valuable slides are usually images that are scarcer, shot by a well-renown photographer, especially ones which the original negatives/photos have been lost to age/attrition, where the only remaining images are these slides. They come in many different shapes and sizes. I believe the more desirable (and ones I particularly like) are aboriginal subjects, especially ones taken in the 1800's right in the settlements/camps, which are now long gone and almost forgotten. There are a handful of photographers that became renown for photographing this very subject, and some of those images can command big money.

Being this is a fairly iconic image, I would imagine it still holds collector value, but I don't believe it's anything of significant montetary value, and certainly not what some have suggested.

magic-lantern-05.jpg

tumblr_lqjqagyCvU1qlts9lo1_1280.jpg

5998654935_d5fdac6179_z.jpg

There is a big difference between the Magic Lantern brand slides and what I have posted. They were done in standard colors, and NOT as negatives. If they were, in the stone henge image above, the stones would be black. The example I have is most definitely not from this collection as it is a negative.

the only concern i would have with it, is that the negative and the actual photo are different.

the photo appears to have more people and is wider, whereas the negative looks to be cutoff.

it could still be a reprint of the original picture and still worth quite a bit.

:wishluck:

28ivjer.jpg

Whoa! That's a great piece. You can see the Library of Congress entry for a print of that photo here.

I see a Heritage Civil War auction in your future.

Lincoln is posed standing by a chair and facing McClellan with other Union Army officers grouped outside a tent. From left to right: Colonel Delos B. Sacket, Captain George Monteith, Lieutenant Colonel Nelson B. Sweitzer, General George W. Morell, Colonel Alexander S. Webb [Chief of Staff, 5th Corps], General George B. McClellan, Scout Adams, Dr. Jonathan Letterman [Army Medical Director], unidentified soldier, President Abraham Lincoln, Colonel Henry J. Hunt, General Fitz-John Porter, Joseph C. G. Kennedy, Colonel Frederick T. Locke, General Andrew A. Humphreys, and Captain George Armstrong Custer.

Cool historical item. You should keep it.