• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,859 posts in this topic

So i was at the same sale. I gave up because i knew you would buy anything worth getting and there was another pretty knowledgebase guy in front of me as well. The way she was handling the comics i'm pretty sure she dropped them a grade or so any way. Did you get to see the marvel mystery 17. I was thinking it might press it into a 4.0, but only glanced at it over three shoulders and saw the small pic online. I left just a few minutes after take a quick tour of the place. I cant believe he let her handle them that long wirhout making a decision, but it seemed like the first 20 or so people all knew each other so it was probably one of those deals.
I never got to handle the Marvel Mystery or the More Fun, as they stayed in her pile start to finish. I did hear her on the phone describing a panel cut out of the More Fun to whomever she was buying them for. It had a split top spine and was also priced at half of OPG Good, so I'm thinking there was something worse about it I couldn't see. My real interest was in the Marvel Mystery, and the possibility that it could press to a 4 or even a 4.5. I'd be reallllly leery, though. It seems like these were the homeowner's childhood comics (kitchen bags) and never part of a "collection." So, if the OO was inclined to clip panels, he might also have been inclined to clip pages, coupons, pinups, etc. I can't recall off the top of my head if there was any type of pin-up in MM17, but I don't think she ever counted pages, so who knows.

As far as letting the public handle the books, the estate sale guys didn't have clue one about dealing with comics. I watched the folded-over chip on the cover of the Blue Ribbon fly off. So it goes...

I almost drove from Dallas for the same estate sale. But, my funds were a little low. I also found out they did reservations for a spot in line in person the day before. I had emailed them last week asking if any had missing pages, and they said everything looked complete on all the comics. Hope whoever got them did a good inspection and felt good with the purchase. I was most interested in the Marvel Mystery and More Fun.
They really didn't look them over that carefully. Even a cursory flip-through would have revealed the cut-out panel(s) in at least three of the comics.

Found these at a new local used book/record store

901AD430-4265-42D3-B7BD-2D3BE4FB1951_zpsrujlagm7.jpg

I hate you every day more and more lol

Whats the black book?

Solar #10 from Valiant.

Ahhhhh, thanks (thumbs u

A copper classic next to a modern... Even Grendel doesnt look too happy about it

Edited by Aweandlorder

I very nearly drove down from Dallas for the same Estate Sale but missing work for 2 days just wouldn't work. And from what previous boardies have said, it's a good thing I didn't go.

They looked to be some nice GA books but another sale will eventually pop up and you can count me in! It's nice to see so many fellow Texans!

Do the Comico Grendel books have any value? I've seen a lot of them recently sitting at one of the stores I check thatt I've passed over a few times.

I am pretty sure the 1983 series which hector has above is worth a few hundred in grade. Obviously Primer no# 2 is the big Grendel book.

Correct! And I have a Primer #2 also :whee: (got in a copper collection I purchased of pure indys)

If it's 9.6 or better, gimme! :baiting:

I wonder if there will ever be a time were western comics become all the rage.

I'm not sure. It would be interesting if even ten collectors went after high grade bronze Marvel westerns. They seem to be really tough to find in high grade. I wonder how many would, or could, come out of the woodwork.

i think there might be more than 10. if they slabbed out to 9.6 or 9.8 i think you will do well.

i have a few of these from that era in great shape i bought 4/$1, bagged and boarded 20 years ago. they were worthless then so i stuck them away to age them more. they probably somehow got crushed in their boxes or something with my luck.

I sold the two I would have considered grading here raw. Obviously I was looking at a very small sample size, but the issues I looked up on GPA looked to be going for $60 +/- for 9.6s with no 9,8s. I may have not looked at enough. And I only looked at Bronze. Silver may be a different story as well.

Craigslist find. Low grade but some fun stuff for only $20. In true Craigslist fashion transaction took about a month to complete. There were no pictures in the CL post and Iron Man #1 and #39 were listed. Guess what I was thinking / hoping??? <a  href=20150509_141315_zpscl2lievl.jpg' alt='20

Edited by makeminemarvel

Craigslist find. Low grade but some fun stuff for only $20. In true Craigslist fashion transaction took about a month to complete. There were no pictures in the CL post and Iron Man #1 and #39 were listed. Guess what I was thinking / hoping??? :wishluck:

Craigslist find. Low grade but some fun stuff for only $20. In true Craigslist fashion transaction took about a month to complete. There were no pictures in the CL post and Iron Man #1 and #39 were listed. Guess what I was thinking / hoping??? :wishluck:

I just bought them all. :whistle: He told me you were interested too.

:kidaround:

Lots of fellow Texans in this thread! I like it! :)

Too bad pickins in Austin are slim…no real Flea Market available. Best places I have found stuff at the Half Price Books.

I just bought them all. :whistle: He told me you were interested too.

:kidaround:

:sumo:

Found this a couple of weekends ago at an antique store. If you're a fan of "A Christmas Story" you'll recognize this as the BLB that is in Ralphie's teacher's desk drawer. I've been looking for one of these for quite a while.

AceTestPilots.jpg

Ace_of_Test_Pilots.jpg

Edited by mysterio

Found this a couple of weekends ago at an antique store. If you're a fan of "A Christmas Story" you'll recognize this as the BLB that is in Ralphie's teacher's desk drawer. I've been looking for one of these for quite a while.

AceTestPilots.jpg

Ace_of_Test_Pilots.jpg

check out this copy ---

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NM-UNOPENED-1937-PAT-NELSON-ACE-OF-TEST-PILOTS-BIG-LITTLE-BOOK-/180779312708

That copy on eBay is ridiculous (grade, not price, that may very well be fair but just more than I'm interested in investing in this particular quest). I'm perfectly happy with the copy I got for $25.

also-- have you figured out what the other book in the drawer is-- on the left, partially exposed

Yes, but I haven't chased it since it is so obscured. I may go after it now that I have slain this particular dragon.

DSC_0424%20(Large).JPG

DSC_0425%20(Large).JPG

Edited by mysterio

This came from the same flea market not comic related but love the 40's war cover and the title :)

102_5781_zps6hr1uwys.jpg

Edited by comicjack