• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,859 posts in this topic

Here is my 2c and I hope the best and this plate turns out big bucks, but this is a military photo and glass plates were very fragile, even for a baby photographer, so to have them out in the field well...

Another point is that in 1850 when these became first used in the USA, the emulsion was applied by hand and left a wavy edge. As you can see from the plate the straight black lines on the right side? Machine applied emulsion. Brings us to 1880. you do the math

Edited by Junkdrawer

High hopes for a collection tonight.

All 70s comics. Few Spider-mans and tons of military.

Tons of Kubert.

But stuff was SUPER beat-up.

I picked up a DC Super Heroes Light Up Drawing Desk from 1976. Has Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman, Shazam, and Robin on it.

Board game called Lost Gold by Parker.

Probably will pitch both! AHAHAHAH

It's been so much tougher to find stuff I want this year.

Patrick

In all likelihood, I will keep it. It will go well with the other Lincoln collectibles I own. I would love to find out its value though.

Well Ankur, let's just ask 291fifth -- I'm sure he'll give his usual generous estimate! :Plol

Anyway -- hope you enjoy owning it, and are able to find out more about it. I suspect it would likely turn out to be from the 1880's, as a WAG.

Picked this out of a small stack of drek at an antiques store today for $2:

Scan0056_zpszqgdvyea.jpg

If it wasn't for my wife having to use the restroom, I would not have been standing around the back of the store and I would not have found that small stack of books to look through while waiting for her to return. :cool:

I'm posting it in PGM also.

Scan0056_zpszqgdvyea.jpg

If it wasn't for my wife having to use the restroom, I would not have been standing around the back of the store and I would not have found that small stack of books to look through while waiting for her to return. :cool:

good thing your wife had to use the bathroom :)

Here's the pic

lincoln_antietam.jpg

AllPosters.com

mathew-brady-president-lincoln-visiting-the-camp-at-antietam-1892.jpg

I did some messing around with the pics.

The top pic is Ankur's photo reversed from negative to positive.

The 2nd is Davenport's pic sized to Ankur's and made 40% transparent.

The 3rd shows Davenport's pic at 100% transparency.

Then it gets interesting: notice jsilverjanet's pic has an extra figure in the pic.

Both pics have more image to the left, but Ankur's has more image to the right (notice the table far right, under the tree).

LMc6SJC.jpg

Iggy, I appreciate the research you have done. I think its time to move this discussion elsewhere as others no longer seem very enthusiastic about it. I have tried multiple times to scan it, but the image keep coming out very dark. It need to have a good backlight in order to capture the details.

Scan0056_zpszqgdvyea.jpg

good thing your wife had to use the bathroom :)

I know! That's exactly what I told her!

Finally a potty-break pays off! :grin:

I picked up a DC Super Heroes Light Up Drawing Desk from 1976. Has Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman, Shazam, and Robin on it.

That's an awesome piece. Here's the one I used to have :

lightdesk-1.jpg

That was it brother.

You say, "was"?

Off to the recycler this morning.

Only thing I kept was an old Zingo handheld by Tandy. Never used, original box, bagging, Styrofoam, etc.

Patrick

Went looking for comics. Found this.

Still looking for information on it, but one major dealer has told me its from the 1880's.

Its a glass negative of Lincoln at Antietam.

28ivjer.jpg

If it is truly a negative (which I believe would imply it is an original?) of Lincoln, then it can't be from the 1880's. Lincoln died in 1865 and he was at Antietam in 1862. So wouldn't the negative be from 1862?