• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,859 posts in this topic

C'mon gotta hear the true story on this one. You can leave out the amount paid, but how does one get such a "phone call'?

Gary has been in the comic community for a long time.... I used to buy my comics from him 30 years ago (at his Buffalo Grove store).

Gary1966.jpg

(thumbs u

C'mon gotta hear the true story on this one. You can leave out the amount paid, but how does one get such a "phone call'?

Gary has been in the comic community for a long time.... I used to buy my comics from him 30 years ago (at his Buffalo Grove store).

Gary1966.jpg

To me,he is a legend...that GoodMorningAmerica spot?

Also,his pics of his early/first stores...so cool.And a real nice fellow.

(thumbs u

Mr Moondog,being from the Chicago area,did you know RayO'Hara(RIP) :(

He was a member here,and a great friend.I heard he was an old school Windy City comic guy,from himself and others,but he never cleared up what his shop was...I got so many great comics,and late night phne calls from him.i miss him very much.

Jim

Besides being the former owner of the Moondog's chain with a ton of old customers in the Chicago area, I work with a few stores in the Chicago area that don't deal in old books. I'm their "buyer of vintage comics". So when people see their window sign that they "Buy Old Comics" they stop in and get a flyer on how to sell me their comics. The owner of the books was considering putting an ad on CL when someone told them about the shop with the sign in the window. That's when he called me.

When I went to see the books, there was a ton of moderns that I didn't want, but there was also these nice books. There may be one 9.8 NM 98. Probably 2 9.6s and the rest 9.4s. The Hulk 181 is a 5.0/6.0. The other books are really nice.

The books were the seller's son's who passed away 20 years ago, and it turns out that he was also an old customer of mine. The son had speculated on a few books and it was nice that he thought NM 98 could be a winner. I was surprised that they weren't all 9.6/9.8...

There are many, many baby boomers who are downsizing and selling their collections. I've created a nice little niche as the "expert who can help you sell your comics."

Business is great and the best part is that it's a ton of fun!

That is awesome!

Grabbed all these yesterday at a contents sale (wasn't planning on going, but managed to sneak some time in).

The 298 and 299 are sharp copies, so I put them in mylars.

I apologize this is upside-down, no idea why photobucket keeps doing this...

photo22_zps3d516583.jpg

What's the issue number on that Detective in the bottom left? Love that cover

Grabbed all these yesterday at a contents sale (wasn't planning on going, but managed to sneak some time in).

The 298 and 299 are sharp copies, so I put them in mylars.

I apologize this is upside-down, no idea why photobucket keeps doing this...

photo22_zps3d516583.jpg

What's the issue number on that Detective in the bottom left? Love that cover

That would be Detective Comics #647 (1st appearance of Spoiler). I grab high grade copies on the cheap whenever I can.

Nothing special but some stuff I dug out of a dollar bin in the past week or so. All moderately high grade (with the moderns being obviously in the best shape)

Some Kamala Khan keys (so I don't care which one is most important), 1st Taskmaster cameo & that Claremont/Manara X-Women book that seems to go for about $10-15

IMG_1443_zpsksxwo4vl.jpg

The Psylocke mini (including doubles on 2-4) including the 2nd print wraparound variant for #1 that seems to be the sought after one (though this set seems to command a few bucks on ebay)

IMG_1442_zpsfigygc6m.jpg

Got a call before these ended up on Craig's List...

IMG_20150611_214741_zpskmcoyyk3.jpg

:applause:

I hate you and love you all at the same time...in all seriousness that is a fantastic haul! Congrats!

holy criminey, i was going to use the same exact words to describe my feelings

I went to look at a collection with 800 long boxes, there was a full shortie of X-force 2's..... I spent about 2 hours barely glancing in the boxes. I'm sure there are quite a few nm 98's in that horde. Guy had tons of unopened cases of mid-late valiant drek. Also thought he had a $100,000+ collection.

Gary1966.jpg

(thumbs u

Gary, you still got it! In fact, it never left! :)

You know, it seems as though that's too many copies of NM 98 to keep in your hands. I'll do you a solid & take half of them off your hands as a favor. You know, to help you keep that extra space so you don't have to buy any more boxes or anything.

What do you mean you're not falling for that?!?!