• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,856 posts in this topic

Dragon's Lair was absolutely groundbreaking. First "twitch" game I can remember playing as a kid, where it really mattered how quickly you could respond to a situation that popped up. It was so different than every other game out there. Basically a Choose Your Own Adventure book in video game form.

They eventually released a version (I had it on Playstation 3, but I'm sure it was probably in other formats as well) where you could just sit and WATCH the whole of Dragon's Lair without having to play it. Infinitely more satisfying! Loved the design of the game, hated playing it.

Dragon's Lair was absolutely groundbreaking. First "twitch" game I can remember playing as a kid, where it really mattered how quickly you could respond to a situation that popped up. It was so different than every other game out there. Basically a Choose Your Own Adventure book in video game form.

They eventually released a version (I had it on Playstation 3, but I'm sure it was probably in other formats as well) where you could just sit and WATCH the whole of Dragon's Lair without having to play it. Infinitely more satisfying! Loved the design of the game, hated playing it.

There was a lot of hooplah when that came out on the COmmodore 64 if I remember correctly. Looked great (even on that crappy computer), but was tough to play. Wasn't the first level air discs or something? I remember that being really hard to master and get to the next level.

I need to find my C64. I wonder if it will still start up? Load "$", 8, 1...was that it to get the directory of a disk or Load "*", 8, 1 to load the first program on the disk? my 5 1/4 floppies have probably all melted if they are sitting in my mother's storage room somewhere....

The best part about certain video games was that you could get good at them and really make that quarter last. Galaxian and Galaga were ones I could max out on quite often. But one of my favorites from late high school and freshman year in the dorms at Illinois (1984-85) was Punchout. I could pretty much always go deep past the championship belt in that one, but my favorite guy to knockout was the super predictable Bald Bull who did his three hop attack that you could time well and kock him out every time. Not sure if this gif is from that version as the one I played had your boxer represented by a green criss cross see through graphic.

tumblr_n3eyxlqmOm1r0ralmo1_500.gif

The best part about certain video games was that you could get good at them and really make that quarter last.

There was a guy always at our local arcade that was basically unbeatable at fighting games. There was always a line to play him at Street Fighter 2 Turbo, Mortal Kombat, Virtua Fighter, or Killer Instinct...whichever he was playing at the time.

Unreal to see him smoke 30 kids in a row without losing. He could basically play with one quarter until he was ready to go home.

The best part about certain video games was that you could get good at them and really make that quarter last.

There was a guy always at our local arcade that was basically unbeatable at fighting games. There was always a line to play him at Street Fighter 2 Turbo, Mortal Kombat, Virtua Fighter, or Killer Instinct...whichever he was playing at the time.

Unreal to see him smoke 30 kids in a row without losing. He could basically play with one quarter until he was ready to go home.

Right, but how many quarters did it take to get to that level?

Right, but how many quarters did it take to get to that level?

Maybe not that many...Some people just "get" fighting games. For every franchise, there's a system that's understandable and as long as you can figure out risk/reward options in that system, you're gonna do just fine. Also, there's a fiercely psychological aspect to them. If you throw someone 4 times in a row, they're gonna get rattled and do something stupid that you can punish. If you can grasp those two things, the rest should fall into place through light practice.

No doubt it was. Graphics were light years beyond the pixel block stuff we were playing. But it was always lagging and it cost a buck to play. I'm sure it was my logical mind saying I could get 4 plays of Galaga in for one Dragon's Lair.
Gauntlet is the game that broke me. I could play Dig Dug, Pac Man or Missle command for a long time on a quarter, but Gauntlet was a money eater. It started eating into my comic budget so I was done lol

Galaga is the one game I'm good at. I've crossed the 3,000,000 point mark a couple of times - the "no fire" cheat can help :grin: - and can routinely hit 800-900K

I have gotten this good on Galaga because (1) I'm old (2) I played it constantly in college as there was a free machine in our dorm (3) played it constantly in grad school as there was one in the bar we went to and (4) I bought a real 1981 console machine and its in my basement. Galaga is a great stress reducer - I will play for an hour or two after a particularly heinous day at work.

BTW, the Galaga world record has been around for almost 30 years - it is the Mt. Everest of video game records. I cannot imagine how long it would take to score 16 million points.

The tournament record of 4.5 million - with only five lives - is amazing as well. I have never scored over about 900,000 in a tournament setting as I don't play that way.

I went to college with a kid with some diverse interests.

Our senior year he randomly decided to set the world record for Arkanoid. He bought an arcade version, set it up in his dorm room & did it.

It was mostly notable because this was 1999 so at that time the world record had stood for more than a decade.

Learned all about the process, too.

The Guinness World Records Gamers Edition has a certain number of judges per state who have to come out & inspect your machine for tampering & then watch you play to certify that you actually could reach the scores claimed.

My buddy noted that the high score was largely determined by bonuses that dropped down randomly, so regardless of your ability record scores were only even possible about 30% of the time.

The best part was he then started getting hate email from the prior record holder, who vowed to start training on Arkanoid again in a bid to reclaim his spot. Not sure what came of it, but a quick Google search shows at least one of my friend's records still stands:

https://recordsetter.com/arkanoid-world-records

I went to college with a kid with some diverse interests.

Our senior year he randomly decided to set the world record for Arkanoid. He bought an arcade version, set it up in his dorm room & did it.

It was mostly notable because this was 1999 so at that time the world record had stood for more than a decade.

Learned all about the process, too.

The Guinness World Records Gamers Edition has a certain number of judges per state who have to come out & inspect your machine for tampering & then watch you play to certify that you actually could reach the scores claimed.

My buddy noted that the high score was largely determined by bonuses that dropped down randomly, so regardless of your ability record scores were only even possible about 30% of the time.

The best part was he then started getting hate email from the prior record holder, who vowed to start training on Arkanoid again in a bid to reclaim his spot. Not sure what came of it, but a quick Google search shows at least one of my friend's records still stands:

https://recordsetter.com/arkanoid-world-records

Sounds like a college education put to good use...

I could do that with Virtual Fighter, stay on beating people till I was ready to leave.

One day I'm out at mall of America arcade and this kid comes up and asks to play me, I said fine, kid whipped my azz three games in a row, no one had done that to me before.

I admitted defeat and bought him whatever he wanted from the snack bar in honor of his beating me.

He was probably 11, had on not one, not two, but three separate fanny packs (that should have been my first clue he had super human gaming abilities) and Giant coke bottle glasses.

My brother who was with me at the time called him the White Webster.

I could do that with Virtual Fighter, stay on beating people till I was ready to leave.

One day I'm out at mall of America arcade and this kid comes up and asks to play me, I said fine, kid whipped my azz three games in a row, no one had done that to me before.

I admitted defeat and bought him whatever he wanted from the snack bar in honor of his beating me.

He was probably 11, had on not one, not two, but three separate fanny packs (that should have been my first clue he had super human gaming abilities) and Giant coke bottle glasses.

I actually laughed out loud. Great story!

I have owned 3 stand-up arcade games in the past.

(#1.) Original Mario Brothers (in the sewer)

(#2.) Arkanoid

(#3.) Rampart

... While i never straight-beat any of them; I know i could play 30 minutes on any of them on a single quarter.

I've a similar experience with MK 1, I could play that game until I just got bored. I beat 18 straight players one summer afternoon using Raiden. I finally lost when another player paid me $5 to use anyone but Raiden. I'm pretty sure I was rocking a fanny pack and I know I had the coke bottle glasses.