• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,883 posts in this topic

On Sunday we had our neighborhood yard sale. but only one other house on my block was participating. It was kind of chilly out. I had low expectations.

Anyway, my plans of putting out beater BA for $2 each for people buying comics just because they look "old" and marking Deapool True Believer 1s at $20 in the hope of someone thinking they were first apps did not materialize...

(tsk)

I had a reading comprehension fail of the first order! I thought I saw an ad for a flea market on Sunday a few towns over on Long Island with an address and a start time. I went to the address and it's on a residential street - how are they doing a flea around here? Then the specific house is a tiny little thing and it's closed up tight, no garage sale, nothing. Huh!

So, back home later I pulled the ad up again, and it turned out to be a dealer saying he was setting up at a flea upstate somewhere, not at his house, and for some reason he included his home address in the ad! doh!

:blush:

For those who asked, my "garage sale" with 5 customers had very few dollar books sell ($20-$25 worth) and then I sold the following (from memory)

Lots of Harley Quinn New 52 early issues. A 4th printing of one issue; the purple lenticular one; bombshell and joker variant issues, all mostly for around $5-$7 and a NYCC variant of the purple issue for $20. Daredevil 9 and 10 low grade copies for $35 that I bought in Muncie Indiana 20 years ago but could never attempt to grade accurately so you guys never got a shot at them, 5 of the Walmart $5 packs tossed in slightly over retail on a bigger order (one guy said to his buddy "are these the ones we were looking for last week?"), a Wolverine miniseries, and some odds and ends.

I had a bunch of random Star Trek issues, including various issue 1 which they seem to have 5000 of, that I got in an estate box in bags without boards. I put them at 50 cents/12 for $5 and sold many of them. They will get a backing board and go in the dollar box for the next sale!

I sold a Descender 1 9.0 slab for $15 and consider it the best money I got that day. Cut my losses indeed!

I sold an ASM 361 for $35 after giving the guy $5 off even though he said it was a great copy, better than the two he had at home, and fairly priced. but that was impulsively spoken while he had a stack in front of him, a few of which he subsequently put back. Lesson learned there...wait until the end before offering discounts. that ASM broke up my 361-363 carnage set and I then sold another set for $60 BIN on ebay, so I should have held onto it I guess! That guy also bought some cool Batman comics, Kelley Jones issues and The Riddler cover by Mignola, $2-$3 each.

I also just got an email from someone who wants to come over and see the comics. NO! Wait until next time!

Muncie had Comic Castle which turned into Range Line Comics which turned into Bob's Comic Castle and it is still in business.

Book Center out by the Mall used to have comics back in the day.

Another comic store was in the village by Ball State for a while many years ago too.

At present Muncie has another great store called Aw Yeah Comics.

There was a dollar book store that used to have comics. They would put 25 cent stickers on the comics directly and place them under tables. I think the tables held bagged drek. They had more expensive issues on the walls lining the place.

Yes, I believe that this would be the one by the mall IIRC.

I guess I went to Comic Castle. It had 2 or 3 locations in my 4 years there. First by the gym with the large uncovered windows and then down the end of the long road that went to the river.

This was late 1994 - 1998.

Edited by Bird

On Sunday we had our neighborhood yard sale. but only one other house on my block was participating. It was kind of chilly out. I had low expectations.

Anyway, my plans of putting out beater BA for $2 each for people buying comics just because they look "old" and marking Deapool True Believer 1s at $20 in the hope of someone thinking they were first apps did not materialize...

(tsk)

I didn't wind up doing it! Didn't even put them out. At no point would I have ever represented that these were the first print, first appearances.

Everyone who bought comics (and only about 5 people did) was actually going to read them. Didn't look like any ebay flippers stopped by (other than for records). Unlike past years I didn't have people coming in and vacuuming up every Spiderman or X-Men book, etc.

There was a dollar book store that used to have comics. They would put 25 cent stickers on the comics directly and place them under tables. I think the tables held bagged drek. They had more expensive issues on the walls lining the place.

I guess I went to Comic Castle. It had 2 or 3 locations in my 4 years there. First by the gym with the large uncovered windows and then down the end of the long road that went to the river.

Book Center is still there but doesn't sell comics and Bob's Comic Castle is still out by the river.

I assume that you must be another Ball State grad....I am 80-84 BS & 85-87 MA myself.

Oh and congrats on your sale...sounds like it was worthwhile......

Quick story...at a garage sale...was looking at a full sized Simpson's couch with the whole family sitting on it...homeowner asks if interested in a Silver Surfer theater prop...he had it bubble wrapped to send it to a buyer at $750...buyer never paid, I offered $200...he said no way...gave him my number just in case...he called 15 minutes after I left and countered at $250...I told him my wife would kill me if I went over $200...he said no and we hung up...5 minutes later he calls back and takes the $200 offer as I'm told that his wife was going to kill him if he didn't get rid of it.

IMG_0093_1.jpg

Quick story...at a garage sale...was looking at a full sized Simpson's couch with the whole family sitting on it...homeowner asks if interested in a Silver Surfer theater prop...he had it bubble wrapped to send it to a buyer at $750...buyer never paid, I offered $200...he said no way...gave him my number just in case...he called 15 minutes after I left and countered at $250...I told him my wife would kill me if I went over $200...he said no and we hung up...5 minutes later he calls back and takes the $200 offer as I'm told that his wife was going to kill him if he didn't get rid of it.

IMG_0093_1.jpg

Super cool.. Curious what are the dimensions and material it's made from?

Book Center is still there but doesn't sell comics and Bob's Comic Castle is still out by the river.

I assume that you must be another Ball State grad....I am 80-84 BS & 85-87 MA myself.

Oh and congrats on your sale...sounds like it was worthwhile......

Thanks! The sale was cold but yes it was fun. I talked too much I think!

I got my Ph.D. in School Psychology/Neuropsychology from Ball State in 1998. I am a NNJ native and rutgers univ grad. So when I was in Muncie RU and BSU were ranked 102 and 98 out of 105 Div I football programs, or thereabouts, for the 4 years I was there.

I did see Bonzi Wells play and Earl Boykins came and scored 43 against. Then I saw Randy Moss score 5 touchdowns, one every which way, when Marshall came to town - I made my wife go to the game and told her this guy was going to be a star. Those were my only football game and only BB game while there!

I fell in love with Starman in that town, got the 0-3 issues from the 25 cent boxes at the Book Center and picked up the rest from the LCS. Also went to Mid-Ohio every year, Chicago con and Detroit con once each!

the surfboard is 7' 6'' and it is probably 4' high...the board is wood at the core and some kind of plastic around it...Surfer is plastic but I think the interlocking pegs were metal...would have to look again...it came with a very heavy duty metal frame, but no city background...I liked it better on the floor.

IMG_0093_1.jpg

Wow, awesome pick up! I remember seeing these in theaters, I always wondered where they all ended up.

IMG_0093_1.jpg

The irony in that story but you got a good deal.

Picked up these Marvel hardcovers for fairly light $$ on my way home from a band rehearsal last night.

The dust jackets on the Avengers and the Marvel 1 reprint are a little worn, but the others look brand-new, and all of the books themselves look and feel unread (bindings are VERY tight).

Anyone know how to tell if the Masterworks are first printings? The copyright pages list the dates of publication as 1987 for the FF & Spidey, 1988 for the Avengers, and 1989 for the Hulk. Other than that, there's not much to go on...

marvel-MW.jpg

Grabbed one more today from the same source:

MW-xmen.jpg

This one is clearly marked as a first print (1993). I'm guessing that some of these are harder to find than others?

Scan the back covers of them please. I think the Spider-Man and the Fantastic Four ones are the "variant" editions - if so, you've hit homers.

Found this one at an LCS half off sale. 460 copies is a weird number. (shrug)

42MaQeWl.jpg 6OGIlPLl.jpg

Sent email to couple of ads on CL about comics listed, got a reply from one guy and went to his address to take a look at these books. Offered him a price and he accepted. All 33 comics in the deal. Turned out he found them like that in their condition in an estate sale somewhere. Obviously was someone's small collection tucked in a box or suitcase?

He then pulled out ... More comics hidden in a cabinet! After had a look through, I knew they are also part of the same collection. Some in better conditions. I picked a few ones and offered him.

I told him if he should come up with more. I would pay if in better conditions. He said he will bring in some DC sci-Fic and some other horror theme from '50s in next few days. Good, I have another lead! :wishluck:

image_zps1dpdseyk.jpeg

image_zpscnow7o2j.jpeg