• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,883 posts in this topic

On 4/22/2023 at 7:24 PM, Beige said:

It's crazy.

I don't see it as much as you - but if I get a deal with an obvious key in it - I think 'how did you NOT know that was a $300 book??'

You and your buddies seem to find them on a regular basis - is this still the norm in USA?

It's dead here (and from speaking to other boardies) and in UK as well regarding boot sales.

I just don't get how you can put up a country wide ad, but not look and see (for example) that the Supes annual shown is a $40 book.....

Their loss, your gain.

The number one thing that works to my advantage when buying a collection is that most people don't care about the value necessarily.  They just want to reclaim the space.  They like the idea of a dealer buying it to resell so that it can end up with other collectors.  

Not everyone wants to make it a part time job to liquidate their collection...and honestly I don't blame them.  If selling collectibles doesn't bring you joy and it's not your primary income, then why spend time doing it?  

On 4/22/2023 at 7:48 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

I just had a conversation with my wife the other day (who tolerates my collecting but has zero interest in any of it) - we got on the subject of what we'd do if the other died, in that kind of morbid way that couples who've been together for a couple of decades talk about stuff. She said, "I'll finally be able to clean out the basement, it'll take a UHaul to get it to Goodwill." And I had to get serious and tell her to absolutely not do that - I said I understand that she doesn't care about the books and toys, but that there's way too much value there to dump it at Goodwill. So I had to give her explicit instructions on what to do and who to call about my collection on the unfortunate occasion of my passing... :facepalm:xD

I told my wife to sell it all to the first person that makes her an offer.  The life insurance can save her the headache of dealing with it.  :-)

I had a chat the other day with a friend of mine who was telling me a story about a kid he went to high school with.  This "kid" is now 80-something and lives in Hawaii.  He has a lot of stuff - not a hoarder, just the typical accumulation even normal people have.  The guy knows he has to get rid of some stuff because he also knows he needs to downsize to a senior apartment or maybe assisted living. The problem he has is that he apparently won't sell something for $15 he thinks it's worth $20.  There's a lesson or a moral or something there somewhere.

On 5/13/2023 at 7:42 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

ooooooohh!!! Sunset Riders was fun! Maybe they could bring back the "western genre" with stuff like that in video games! :x 

Red Dead Redemption 2 is one of my favorite video games I've ever played. If you're looking for a true western video game, that's the game for you.

On 4/10/2023 at 4:07 AM, STORMSHADOW_80 said:

A couple nice pick ups this week. My motivation for the Joe lot was the listen n fun tripwire as I didn’t have him in my collection yet. The OO toy seller also had vintage Star Wars but they were priced out of my range.

96B9586B-5C66-40C4-ADCC-E5CEA83EC79F.jpeg

91F3BA6B-0090-437B-BD51-CBA9782F445E.jpeg

A3CB2D01-0DCB-4E76-8356-630FAFB2F41D.jpeg

Wish I had a space for a toy collection. But maybe when my kids leave for college lol

On 5/20/2023 at 11:11 AM, MattTheDuck said:

Converting their rooms to use for your collection may be your best chance of keeping them out after graduation.

I always say my oldest wont be back after high school. He will play football for some college, and either get drafted or simply start a career. High Honors student, multi sport athlete, national champion the season for AYF football. I get one room lol

On 5/20/2023 at 11:25 AM, Robot Man said:

I have always collected toys in addition to comics. My wife graciously allowed me a display case in the den and let me spread out a few pieces “tastefully” around the house. A lot was stored away. But when my kids moved out, I got my own office and got to put out whatever I wanted. I need now get to do my design work, play my guitar and listen to music surrounded by my junk…:x

I do have the music again at least!

On 5/20/2023 at 3:11 PM, MattTheDuck said:

Below are some of the highlights of a 115-book Bronze Age collection I picked up at an estate sale this morning.  The amazing thing about it is that 92 of these books have Mark Jewelers inserts. Whoever's collection this is was clearly focused on buying MJIs.

The books aren't pristine or anything but I was over the moon because I just am never at the right place at the right time to score books like this.  The tremendous lottery win I thought I had evaporated when I checked the MVS on the IH #182. As it turns out, quite a few are missing so that part is discouraging.  Don't know if the collector cut them out, or he bought MJIs indiscriminately.  In any event, I doubt they're worth less than I paid :)

riverdale - 5-23.jpg

still very cool! :x

On 5/20/2023 at 3:11 PM, MattTheDuck said:

Whoever's collection this is was clearly focused on buying MJIs.

Congratulations. 

More likely they were military and just buying them at their local PX. 

See any star stamps?

On 5/20/2023 at 10:33 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Congratulations. 

More likely they were military and just buying them at their local PX. 

See any star stamps?

I'll have to look through them with an eye to that.  I did not see any just blasting through them and logging them in the spreadsheet.

On 5/20/2023 at 1:11 PM, MattTheDuck said:

Below are some of the highlights of a 115-book Bronze Age collection I picked up at an estate sale this morning.  The amazing thing about it is that 92 of these books have Mark Jewelers inserts. Whoever's collection this is was clearly focused on buying MJIs.

The books aren't pristine or anything but I was over the moon because I just am never at the right place at the right time to score books like this.  The tremendous lottery win I thought I had evaporated when I checked the MVS on the IH #182. As it turns out, quite a few are missing so that part is discouraging.  Don't know if the collector cut them out, or he bought MJIs indiscriminately.  In any event, I doubt they're worth less than I paid :)

riverdale - 5-23.jpg

Huge find! Congrats! 

On 5/20/2023 at 4:11 PM, MattTheDuck said:

riverdale - 5-23.jpg

Nice finds‼️👍