• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Tick Appreciation Thread
7 7

2,264 posts in this topic

THE TICK CHAINSAW VIGILANTE HOLOGRAPHIC VARIANT NO. 1

f2swuq.jpg

The Chainsaw Vigilante is a recurring villain/anti-villain/anti-hero from Ben Edlund's renowned parody superhero comic book series The Tick. He is less emotionally stable than most of the vigilantes in the City and Deertown, but he is not a murderer so long as he can help it. After terrorizing the Tick and other superheroes in the City and Deertown, the Chainsaw Vigilante eventually partially reformed and became a true anti-hero in his own spin-off series. Life as a villain Before the Chainsaw Vigilante received his own series, he devoted his life to cleansing the city of delusional and ill equipt superheroes by "shocking them into reality". As a child, his father suffered serious injuries when an incompetent superhero tried to rescue him. The injuries he sustained caused him to lose his job, and his family was submitted to abject poverty. He vowed to one day right the sort of wrongs that superheroes bring about with their very existence. When he grew old enough, he donned the guise of a mask wearing, chainsaw wielding maniac that would terrorize would be heroes back into their normal lives. He did not kill anyone, but he did seriously injure some of his victims before confronting the Tick. Seeing the Tick as nothing more than another incompetent liability, the Chainsaw Vigilante attempted first to scare him off, and then attack with his weapon of choice when that didn't work. Flabbergasted that his powerful tool was so ineffective against the Tick, the Vigilante had a psychological breakdown, and vowed vengeance against the Tick for not being brought down like a normal superhero would be. He stalked the Tick and Arthur as they traveled, and is thwarted at every advance by the blue hero. Eventually, he comes to grip with the fact that he can not defeat the Tick, and half acknowledges that some superheroes provide an actual benefit to society. He commits himself to fighting crime and the conditions that produce incompetent superheroes instead, and becomes a sort of rogue anti-hero. Chainsaw Vigilante 1 was released with a silver foil stamped cover and came with three rare variant covers. A Chainsaw Vigilante Trade Paperback entitled Chainsaw Vigilante Bonanza was released in December 1996. This comic was originally supposed to run 6 issues. It was stopped after three issues due to poor sales.

1994 THE TICK CHAINSAW VIGILANTE NUMBER 3

33uxxmg.jpg

MARCH 1, 1994 WRITTEN AND DRAWN BY ZANDER CANNON. The Chainsaw Vigilante is a recurring villain/anti-villain/anti-hero from Ben Edlunds renowned parody superhero comic book series The Tick. He is less emotionally stable than most of the vigilantes in the City and Deertown, but he is not a murderer so long as he can help it. After terrorizing the Tick and other superheroes in the City and Deertown, the Chainsaw Vigilante eventually partially reformed and became a true anti-hero in his own spinoff series.

Life as a villain

Before the Chainsaw Vigilante recieved his own series, he devoted his life to cleansing the city of delusional and ill equiped superheroes by "shocking them into reality". As a child, his father suffered serious injuries when an incompotent superhero tried to rescue him. The injuries he sustained caused him to lose his job, and his family was submitted to abject poverty. He vowed to one day right the sort of wrongs that superheroes bring about with their very existance. When he grew old enough, he donned the guise of a mask wearing, chainsaw weilding maniac that would terrorize would be heroes back into their normal lives. He did not kill anyone, but he did seriously injure some of his victims before confronting the Tick. Seeing the Tick as nothing more than another incompotent liability, the Chainsaw Vigilante attempted first to scare him off, and then attack with his weapon of choice when that didn't work. Flabberghasted that his powerful tool was so ineffective against the Tick, the Vigilante had a psychological breakdown, and vowed vengance against the Tick for not being brought down like a normal superhero would be. He stalked the Tick and Arthur as they traveled, and is thwarted at every advance by the blue hero. Eventually, he comes to grip with the fact that he can not defeat the Tick, and half acknowledges thatsome superheroes provide an actual benefit to society. He commits himself to fighting crime and the conditions that produce incompotent superheroes instead, and becomes a sort of rogue anti-hero. FINAL COPY OF THE CHAINSAW VIGILANTE 3 OF 3. (STOPPED BEFORE THE SCHEDULED RELEASE OF 6)

Chainsaw Vigilante

CHAV (NEC, 1993)

Comedy Super-Heroes

™ and ©1993 Ben Edlund

New England Comics Press, publishers of The Tick, also published various spinoff titles about characters who originated in that series. Among these was the Chainsaw Vigilante, a warped individual who attacks super-heroes in an effort to make them stop intruding on normal people’s lives. For his own part, when he’s not being the Chainsaw Vigilante, he’s just an average guy named Henry. However, when Henry feels the need, he dons a black leather jacket and “happy face” mask, grabs his chainsaw, and patrols the streets. To complicate matters, his girlfriend Karen, like most of the people in town, is also a super-hero—in this case, a heroine known as Athena.

Chainsaw Vigilante was a brief, black-and-white comedy series that kicked off in 1993. The title was written and illustrated by Zander Cannon, who went on to publish The Replacement God.

Yay! My Transformer Tick is getting closer! It's at the bottom left hand corner being shown at The Tucson Comic Con with Transformer Artist Livio Ramondelli earlier this month. It's off to CGC for SS grading and I'm hoping for a 9.8!

2mgpag5.jpg

Thanks goes out to Mario for putting all this together for me!

Edited by vsndesigns

THE TICK 20TH ANNIVERSARY SKETCH BOOK COVER EDITION

2w31cb8.jpg

The Tick Comic Book Magazine 20th Anniversary Special Edition No. 1 Bisley Cover (1st Edition May 2007) 20th Anniversary No. 1

What happens when you assemble over 30 different comic creators and give them creative freedom to present The Tick the way they see him!? You get The Tick's 20th Anniversary Special Edition 1! To make The Tick's 20th Anniversary Special Edition 1 truly special New England Comics Press has gathered over two dozen of the finest comic writers and artists of today to help honor The Tick on his 20th birthday! Simon Bisley and Arthur Suydam share the cover duties with their stunning individual cover renditions of The Tick.

As for the stories, the creators were each asked to to write and draw a one page (in some special cases, 2 pages) Tick short tale as if they had total control over the character... and yes indeed they do! The styles of these varied and talented artists range from the super-heroic all the way through the 'alternative' world of comics. In addition to these stories we've included many Tick-related articles such as'Arachnida by Ben Edlund', 'The History of the Tick as I Know It', 'The High Cog Speaks' and the '2006 San Diego Comic-Con Report'.

IT'S A TICK GIVEAWAY! A Genuine 2016 ONE SHOT Local Comic Shop Day Limited Edition Issue Comic Book Bag and Boarded!

mcg1ua.jpg

RULES: Pick a number between 1 to 100. Open to ANYONE who appreciates The Tick. Just Quick Quote and write any number that pops in your head and the person who guesses closest to a pre-determined number will receive the item as described above to be delivered post free to wherever you wish. Good luck Tick fans and Spoooooonnnnn!!!!

WINNER WILL BE ANNOUNCED ON DECEMBER 1, 2016.

AUGUST 1996 THE TICK NUMBER 2 10TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION

2gxn0w3.jpg

AUGUST 1996 THE TICK NUMBER 2 10TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION OF THE UNCUT DIECUT VERSION OF BLAZING ISSUE TWO OF Issue 2

"High Rise Hijinx"

Special edition, die-cut cover, stamped with a serial number from 1 to 3000, released June 1988. First edition released September 1988.

Ben Edlund, Writer & Penciller; Max Banks, Inker; Bob Polio, Art Director; George Suarez, Editor & Publisher.

Clark Oppenheimer reports, late, for his job at the newspaper. Meanwhile the Tick dons a tie and purse as a secret identity, Mr. Nedd. The Tick obtains a job as a crossword editor at the Weekly World Planet. While snooping in Clark's desk, he inadvertently reveals a message from Clark's father and builds his "fortress of fortitude." Clark takes the Tick aside and explains that he is the protector of the City, which the Tick disputes. The Tick is fired from the newspaper. On his way out, he leaves a gift for Clark by molding his car into an oversized ashtray. Clark, understandably upset by this development, attacks the Tick who defeats Clark by breaking his disguise (his glasses).

The parallels between Clark Oppenheimer and Superman continue, when the Tick inadvertently unleashes a message from Clark's father, Ban-Al, and identifies him as Marlon Brando, who played Jor-El in the 1978 Superman movie.

The 1st edition of The Tick 2 was released with a die-cut cover: a small square window revealing the Tick from the first page. A mistake in the production resulted in a rare number of issues (less than 200) without the diecut being released.

Second edition released March 1989. Third edition released June 1989. Fourth edition released December 1989. Fifth edition released July 1991. Sixth edition released January 1995. Special Edition Reprise with same cover as the Special Edition with a second wrap cover and serially numbered 3001-8000, July 1996. Seventh, 10th anniversary edition, released August 1996. Eighth edition released March 1998.

IT'S A TICK GIVEAWAY! A Genuine 2016 ONE SHOT Local Comic Shop Day Limited Edition Issue Comic Book Bag and Boarded!

mcg1ua.jpg

RULES: Pick a number between 1 to 100. Open to ANYONE who appreciates The Tick. Just Quick Quote and write any number that pops in your head and the person who guesses closest to a pre-determined number will receive the item as described above to be delivered post free to wherever you wish. Good luck Tick fans and Spoooooonnnnn!!!!

WINNER WILL BE ANNOUNCED ON DECEMBER 1, 2016.

It's time for the high numbers to be given a shot.

:whee:

For those that may not be actively watching the original art section, I decided to put up some original 1991 Tick card art by Ben Edlund for sale. You may not find better examples of Tick art from this time period. If anyone is interested, please contact me. First come, first served!

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1360038

For those that may not be actively watching the original art section, I decided to put up some original 1991 Tick card art by Ben Edlund for sale. You may not find better examples of Tick art from this time period. If anyone is interested, please contact me. First come, first served!

A little too rich for my blood but I had to share this great piece of Ben Edlund History. You always have the coolest stuff Chuck!

123uukh.jpg

A little too rich for my blood but I had to share this great piece of Ben Edlund History. You always have the coolest stuff Chuck!

123uukh.jpg

Thanks Vic - I'm running lower on cool Tick stuff to part with after selling a number of them to people on these boards. For anyone interested, you can always make an offer, but I figured if I were to cut these up and sell them separately, $500/each would be a bargain. But, I wanted to respect the way they were drawn and keep the page intact. I've seen others that seem to have been cut up.