• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do not miss this thread: Mystery lady blows the lid off PGX?

486 posts in this topic

That's just sad. I hope you can get your money back, Rick.
I actually had purchased the book for a friend...he has superman 2 up and really didn't have a lot of hope to get a 1...so, I bought that book just for him, and he did take it from me (I'll take a slight loss, just because of the bc issue)...but, in this hobby, sometimes taking care of your friends is more "valuable" that a few bucks here and there (thumbs u

I only bring this example up to show that PGX canNOT be trusted to grade or evaluate books, especially GA books (and I am obviously not talking about moderns)...

I actually had purchased the book for a friend...he has superman 2 up and really didn't have a lot of hope to get a 1...so, I bought that book just for him, and he did take it from me (I'll take a slight loss, just because of the bc issue)...but, in this hobby, sometimes taking care of your friends is more "valuable" that a few bucks here and there (thumbs u

I only bring this example up to show that PGX canNOT be trusted to grade or evaluate books, especially GA books (and I am obviously not talking about moderns)...

(thumbs u

Is the owner of PGX the same guy that was scamming old ladies when he was a lawyer, and then moved on to scamming sports memorabilia collectors with bogus sigs? Those are the kinds of offenses relevant to the topic. A child custody dispute really isn't.

Scamming old ladies as a lawyer = Doug Schmell

Scamming sports memorabilia collectors with bogus sigs = Danny Dupcak

Scamming collectors with a fraudulent grading service = Daniel Patterson

(thumbs u

the moral of this story, don't deal with anyone with the first name starting with "D" lol

Hey now! meh respectfully yours David :taptaptap:

Well...They *did* notice that the BC was trimmed.

Did they not think it was odd that only the BC was trimmed? :makepoint:

the centerfold was completely trimmed out, and no notes about it... just horrible

Is the owner of PGX the same guy that was scamming old ladies when he was a lawyer, and then moved on to scamming sports memorabilia collectors with bogus sigs? Those are the kinds of offenses relevant to the topic. A child custody dispute really isn't.

Scamming old ladies as a lawyer = Doug Schmell

Scamming sports memorabilia collectors with bogus sigs = Danny Dupcak

Scamming collectors with a fraudulent grading service = Daniel Patterson

(thumbs u

the moral of this story, don't deal with anyone with the first name starting with "D" lol

Hey now! meh respectfully yours David :taptaptap:

just kidding :baiting:

sup1pgxb.jpg

So, what are we seeing here? The centerfold is obviously detached, but is it just one page -- is half of the spread missing?

nope, it is trimmed around as well...

sup1_6251a.jpg

the "fake" back cover...avg collector might not be able to tell in the slab, but raw, it is as obvious as night and day...so "shame" on whomever graded this as "real"

sup1_6251b.jpg

cracked out (sorry for quality, phone shot from chicago)

sup1pgxa.jpg

the CF (and yes, i was wearing my gator crocs lol ):

sup1pgxb.jpg

Sorry to hear about this. There was an AF 15 (9.0) that was on eBay for quite some time that was also restored (extensive). I was giving it some thought, but I couldn't get past the reputation problem with PGX. At one point, I decided I would at least call in for the graders notes and see if I could get any information on the book inside the holder.

I spoke to someone at PGX who claimed they weren't able to look-up the book (told me he'd call back with the details). Now the book was already restored, so the chief concerns were missed trimming, but also to confirm whether the cover was real (it looked like a xerox or reproduction cover). Somehow, some way, that person was able to recall the book and said it was the original cover, and confirmed this by stating that otherwise it would have been noted on the label.

I didn't get a good vibe at all about the book so I passed on it. Seeing this example now really confirms my own suspicions about their grading ability as far as reproduction/counterfeit covers passing through without being able to detect them.

Agreed. (thumbs u

sup1pgxb.jpg

So, what are we seeing here? The centerfold is obviously detached, but is it just one page -- is half of the spread missing?

nope, it is trimmed around as well...

And just to be clear, the centerfold is missing a half, correct? It not only had a coupon cut out(and another circular area) But the entire newsprint border around the outside of the advertisement was also trimmed off.

Kind of important details to leave off the label. doh!

Sorry to hear your good deed did not go unpunished Rick.

PGX is a joke.

(thumbs u

(thumbs u (thumbs u

This is one of the reasons why Rick is such a great guy!!!!! :acclaim: