• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do not miss this thread: Mystery lady blows the lid off PGX?

486 posts in this topic

That's just sad. I hope you can get your money back, Rick.
I actually had purchased the book for a friend...he has superman 2 up and really didn't have a lot of hope to get a 1...so, I bought that book just for him, and he did take it from me (I'll take a slight loss, just because of the bc issue)...but, in this hobby, sometimes taking care of your friends is more "valuable" that a few bucks here and there (thumbs u

I only bring this example up to show that PGX canNOT be trusted to grade or evaluate books, especially GA books (and I am obviously not talking about moderns)...

(thumbs u

(thumbs u (thumbs u

This is one of the reasons why Rick is such a great guy!!!!! :acclaim:

Yes, he sure is...I can't imagine the loss on that one...

Steve Borock, I'm curious about your thoughts on PGX. How is it they can get away with serious allegations?

That's just sad. I hope you can get your money back, Rick.
I actually had purchased the book for a friend...he has superman 2 up and really didn't have a lot of hope to get a 1...so, I bought that book just for him, and he did take it from me (I'll take a slight loss, just because of the bc issue)...but, in this hobby, sometimes taking care of your friends is more "valuable" that a few bucks here and there (thumbs u

I only bring this example up to show that PGX canNOT be trusted to grade or evaluate books, especially GA books (and I am obviously not talking about moderns)...

(thumbs u

(thumbs u (thumbs u

This is one of the reasons why Rick is such a great guy!!!!! :acclaim:

Yes, he sure is...I can't imagine the loss on that one...

Steve Borock, I'm curious about your thoughts on PGX. How is it they can get away with serious allegations?

:popcorn:

Way back when PGX was new and there wasn't a lot of scandal going on yet, I was one of the early adopters of their system and sent a batch of books in for grading. I still have some books in their original "flexi-holder," before they had the hard case. (FWIW, I also tried out 3PG with its weird glued-edges plastic case)

This, and the fact that I've been a forumite for years, led Daniel to assume I was a friendly go-between to advocate for him. When the scandal of the trimmed ASM #122 occurred, Daniel did something very bizarre (I've told this story before, but it deserves repeating).

He called me at home. Out of the blue. Yep, he rang me up and asked me to listen to his "isolated incident" excuse, urging me to believe that he really was innocent and someone at CGC was sabotaging his books to make his company look bad. "Oh, really?", I played along.

Daniel then registered on this forum under the name "Atom" to send me PM's he wanted me to post. His idea was that he could use me as his mouthpiece. He wrote me PMs, then changed his mind and wrote me asking me not to post them until he had RE-written, them, then sent me modified versions, all in an effort to get the story straight. I still have the ASM 122 PM in my inbox from 3/23/04. His explanation is that someone removed the book from the holder, undetected, then trimmed it, and then purposefully reinserted it into the PGX holder--all without any evident tampering to the case--just to it could later be detected as a restored book and embarrass him.

"Our conclusion is a simple one: This book had to have been trimmed after it was graded and encapsulated by us...For one of us, let alone all 3 of us to miss the very amateur trimming on this book is very highly unlikely, especially considering the time that was spent with this book, and being accompanied by another book we can prove was not trimmed when it came through our offices. ..I would hope this will relieve fears people may have about our restoration detection skills, and we will continue to address any issues as they arise in a straightforward way. "

I just thought it was interesting that he tried to recruit me as his advocate, even calling me at home to persuade me, yet when someone comes out against him she's a psycho liar. That's his definition of handling issues "in a straightforward way," I suppose.

For the record, after just one submission to PGX, I've not continued.

Interesting story, I'm not sure how much more unprofessional he can sound at this point. I'm still amazed that he gets enough trade for his business to be viable, moms basement or not.

and just so everyone knows, my buddy that bought the supes 1 did offer to pay me the little bit i was losing, but I felt bad enough about the back cover, that I refused ...now, I just have to find him a back cover lol

kenny, I suspect you will be leafcasting that cf (thumbs u

and just so everyone knows, my buddy that bought the supes 1 did offer to pay me the little bit i was losing, but I felt bad enough about the back cover, that I refused ...now, I just have to find him a back cover lol

Did Barrington get it? :wishluck:

If so, I am thrilled for him, and proud of you for helping him close out that run.

Thanks Gator!!!

(worship)

Is the owner of PGX the same guy that was scamming old ladies when he was a lawyer, and then moved on to scamming sports memorabilia collectors with bogus sigs? Those are the kinds of offenses relevant to the topic. A child custody dispute really isn't.

Scamming old ladies as a lawyer = Doug Schmell

Scamming sports memorabilia collectors with bogus sigs = Danny Dupcak

Scamming collectors with a fraudulent grading service = Daniel Patterson

(thumbs u

I thought they were all the same guy :roflmao:

Did Barrington get it? :wishluck:

If so, I am thrilled for him, and proud of you for helping him close out that run.

Thanks Gator!!!

(worship)

but of course...he was the target on the book the entire time... he wasn't thrilled about the bc, but I am hopeful we will find him one mattie can marry up for him (thumbs u

Interesting story, I'm not sure how much more unprofessional he can sound at this point. I'm still amazed that he gets enough trade for his business to be viable, moms basement or not.

I doubt he pays many bills by grading submissions. I have a feeling most books in PGX slabs are his. I think he makes the real money by selling restored books as unrestored. Accepting submissions just lends a veneer of legitimacy to his grading.

And don't forget the part about one of the "graders" who takes books home to encapsulate, and has been caught making Frankenbooks out of remaindered covers and coverless interiors, slabbing them, and selling them as authentic. This may be the biggest scam in comics since the dawn of encapsulation.

I beg to differ Bob. PGX is to Comic encapsulation what Yugos were to the automotive industry; cheap, unreliable, and ultimately, a failure. Comparing PGX to CGC has always been like comparing a Yugo to a BMW. Sure, both cars have four tires and can get you (maybe) from Point A to Point B. Just like both encapsulation companies entomb their finish product in plastic outer shells, but that's pretty much where the similarities end.

No one who has done their homework on PGX should really find this thread shocking at all.

Put up your dukes for insulting Yugos everywhere!

:slapfight:

And don't forget the part about one of the "graders" who takes books home to encapsulate, and has been caught making Frankenbooks out of remaindered covers and coverless interiors, slabbing them, and selling them as authentic. This may be the biggest scam in comics since the dawn of encapsulation.

I beg to differ Bob. PGX is to Comic encapsulation what Yugos were to the automotive industry; cheap, unreliable, and ultimately, a failure. Comparing PGX to CGC has always been like comparing a Yugo to a BMW. Sure, both cars have four tires and can get you (maybe) from Point A to Point B. Just like both encapsulation companies entomb their finish product in plastic outer shells, but that's pretty much where the similarities end.

No one who has done their homework on PGX should really find this thread shocking at all.

I thought this was highly complimentary in a completely unrealistic rose-colored view of the capabilities of the Yugos to actually, you know, roll. :baiting:

Sure, both cars have four tires and can get you (maybe) from Point A to Point B.

I thought this was highly complimentary in a completely unrealistic rose-colored view of the capabilities of the Yugos to actually, you know, roll. :baiting:

Sure, both cars have four tires and can get you (maybe) from Point A to Point B.

Now that you mention it they do tend to work well when going down hill.

hm

Did all of her posts disappear?

Yes. Some long-time forumite on there started attacking her, and then the next thing you know the mod jumped in and deleted everything.

:gossip: They don't like any confrontation over there, perceived or otherwise.

Did all of her posts disappear?

Yes. Some long-time forumite on there started attacking her, and then the next thing you know the mod jumped in and deleted everything.

:gossip: They don't like any confrontation over there, perceived or otherwise.

That's why we take screenshots!

3580u9j.jpg