• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do you store your comics?

20 posts in this topic

After having my collection split between two places I've now consolidated them all under one roof and I'm overwhelmed by the number of long-boxes. :cry:

How do you all store your books? I've heard understandably mixed reviews about all forms of comic storage and I'm looking for ideas.

I'm leaning towards this but I'm reluctant to do so as I don't know if the width in those boxes is ample for storing my mostly silver-age collection (they're in mylite 2's).

Please help a collector trying desperately to reorganize! :foryou:

Sckao has a great setup of drawer boxes; it you reinforce them with plywood, I think he has them stacked 8 high.

I use drawer boxes - 6 high - but the bottom ones get tough to open. How is the plywood used to reinforce? Is a sheet placed between layers of boxes to distribute weight better?

Here is a shot of my filing cabinets.

3661766550_353fd37981.jpg

They hold around 300 per side. If you do go for them spring for the HON. The third one (Shortest of the three) is an Office Depot cabinet. Won't fit the book straight up.

They hold around 300 per side. If you do go for them spring for the HON. The third one (Shortest of the three) is an Office Depot cabinet. Won't fit the book straight up.

lol..I worked for HON for 11 years...total sweat shop! Couldn't be happier I left.

I love the look of those...good idea! I might have to look into these once my wife and I buy our house.

I love the look of those...good idea! I might have to look into these once my wife and I buy our house.

I have the same exact setup - 3 HON Legal side by side - except they're gray.

I have the same exact setup - 3 HON Legal side by side - except they're gray.

Same here - mine are black, though :baiting:

I'm in the process of building custom wood cabinets that work like filing boxes, though - I'll post some pictures when they're done (it'll probably be a couple of months).

Gorilla racks work very well for short boxes.

If you're going to go with long boxes, you can buy some nice heavy duty shelving from Lowe's, Home Depot, or any store along those lines. You can also double up the Gorilla Racks (place one rack system in front of another).

Building shelves is pretty simple, just make sure you use 3" screws and hit all wood when you put them in.

The filing cabinets? I like! (thumbs u

what's the dimensions of your Hon cabinets? I have seen them for sale before but at 18.25" wide I was concerned that there would be enough interior room for 2 rows of comics side by side

It looks neat and sleek from the outside, but there is a problem unfortunately. If the drawer is not filled at least 70%, the comics will bend too much and the comics at the back would get a few unwanted dings and creases.

On the note of storing comics, I'll like to ask a question. My mum bought me 2 drawers recently. They're pretty long, but unfortunately, their height is too short for me to store the comics upright. As a result, I stored my comics horizontally, meaning the longer side of the comic touched the base. All of my comics are bagged and boarded, so I'm wondering if it's okay to store them horizontally? Your comments are much appreciated! :)

Thanks in advance! :)

It looks neat and sleek from the outside, but there is a problem unfortunately. If the drawer is not filled at least 70%, the comics will bend too much and the comics at the back would get a few unwanted dings and creases.

To solve that problem, simply use the Bags Unlimited storage box spacers:

http://www.bagsunlimited.com/cart/browse.asp?subcat=97