• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,544 posts in this topic

Hey Rick,

So for Action Comics issues 2 to 20, what are your top 5 covers?

Really like 12...

My favs tend to be

No 15 or 13?

15 would be 6th. 10&13 are not impactful to me

No #13, that's shocking. I'm not even a very big Supes fan but that cover for me is iconic, reminds me of MMC#9.

Punching a plane in mid-air flight

Stopping a train dead in it's tracks with one hand

??!!??!!

These two things are what Supes is all about, 10 & 13 faves of mine from all the Action covers

What do you think the price per point is on Detective 33?
not much sales data to cull from, but I suspect non entry level seems to be about 10-12K depending

Rick,

Can you clarify this for me? Are you saying, let's say, a 3.0 would be likely to go for as high as 30 - 35K at this point ?

FISH

??!!??!!

These two things are what Supes is all about, 10 & 13 faves of mine from all the Action covers

the 10 and 13 have great cover content, but Supe is drawn too small on those covers. If only he was larger like on the 7. The train on the 13 is great though. Unlike the early Actions, the Batman has a much larger drawn presence on the Pre Robins.

??!!??!!

For me it's the fact that they just used a Superman stat to do the covers and there's nothing really original about superman himself

The concepts wonderful the execution in my opinion was poor. Course it was 1939 so what do I know

Rick,

What is your booth number at next week's Comic-Con in San Diego?

TP

no booth per se. will have a couple dozen books at the Bunky brothers booth and some books at the filter81 booth

What do you think the price per point is on Detective 33?
not much sales data to cull from, but I suspect non entry level seems to be about 10-12K depending

Rick,

Can you clarify this for me? Are you saying, let's say, a 3.0 would be likely to go for as high as 30 - 35K at this point ?

FISH

in the current climate yes it is certainly possible

??!!??!!

the 10 and 13 have great cover content, but Supe is drawn too small on those covers. If only he was larger like on the 7. The train on the 13 is great though. Unlike the early Actions, the Batman has a much larger drawn presence on the Pre Robins.

The 10 and 13 is an early concept of a Superheroe flexing his superpowers. I haven't seen a 10 unrestored in the public market for a while and didn't a 13 poor recently sold on Heritage for almost 15K?

??!!??!!

The 10 and 13 is an early concept of a Superheroe flexing his superpowers. I haven't seen a 10 unrestored in the public market for a while and didn't a 13 poor recently sold on Heritage for almost 15K?

plus the 13 supe image is just a mirror image flip of the 10 pose. The 10 is much tougher overall than any of the early action supe covers. Yes, a no back cover 13 went for $14k+ recently on a Sunday HA.

??!!??!!

plus the 13 supe image is just a mirror image flip of the 10 pose. The 10 is much tougher overall than any of the early action supe covers. Yes, a no back cover 13 went for $14k+ recently on a Sunday HA.

Gotcha, but the concept is such signs of the times in the 1930's. Seems 10 is the scarcest of the for mega Supe covers 7,10,13,15. I would consider these four to be up there with all the pre-robbins.

??!!??!!

Gotcha, but the concept is such signs of the times in the 1930's. Seems 10 is the scarcest of the for mega Supe covers 7,10,13,15. I would consider these four to be up there with all the pre-robbins.

yah, but I'd say 1,7,10,13 are in a class of themselves. I've never liked the 15 cover as much. Maybe because it wasn't a Shuster cover. The 15 is still 1939 and early enough. Supe looks like Ronald Reagan on that cover :)

??!!??!!

^^

??!!??!!

yah, but I'd say 1,7,10,13 are in a class of themselves. I've never liked the 15 cover as much. Maybe because it wasn't a Shuster cover. The 15 is still 1939 and early enough. Supe looks like Ronald Reagan on that cover :)

I would think A1 and Tec27 is the class of their own. I agree that the cover art on 15 is not Shuster and may not have great appeal for some. It is the first large Superman/large Superheroe on cover. :)

Edited by showcase22gr1959

??!!??!!

I would think A1 and Tec27 is the class of their own. I agree that the cover art on 15 is not Shuster and may not have great appeal for some. It is the first large Superman/large Superheroe on cover. :)

let me re-phrase: staying within the early Action run, I'd say the 1,7,10,13 are in a class of themselves. :) you do get a big superman on the 15 :) the 15 will keep surging as the 1-7-10-13 continue to skyrocket.

Rick,

What is your booth number at next week's Comic-Con in San Diego?

TP

no booth per se. will have a couple dozen books at the Bunky brothers booth and some books at the filter81 booth

What kind of books are you bringing and what is the filter81 booth? I don't see it in the exhibitors guide for SDCC.

What's your 2nd favorite book, and do you have a hoard as big as your Whiz 22 hoard?
ive had 6-8 copies of Catman 28, terrific 5, pep 34

Once had 24 copies of superman 14 at one time. All of which I sell and buy more

But to the best of my memory I've never sold a whiz 22....ever....gave one to a 12 year old kid at Tampa con last year but it's the one book I never sell....only buy

What's your 2nd favorite book, and do you have a hoard as big as your Whiz 22 hoard?
ive had 6-8 copies of Catman 28, terrific 5, pep 34

Once had 24 copies of superman 14 at one time. All of which I sell and buy more

But to the best of my memory I've never sold a whiz 22....ever....gave one to a 12 year old kid at Tampa con last year but it's the one book I never sell....only buy

Can't go wrong with Superman 14!!!