• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Very Bad News, ComicDonna (Mike) just lost his house in a Fire

382 posts in this topic

Yikes! My secret santa! (I can send my gift back to him, if he wants).

Glad to hear everyone got out safe. Right now I'm looking at 2 smoke detectors on my nightstand with dead batteries, and I'm going to get fresh ones in them asap.

I would add having a chimney inspection every fall too just in case to rule out that danger too. I burn a lot of (free) wood from lumberyards, pallets etc and I know the importance of trying to eliminate as many possible sources of fires in the winter/holiday season.

For those reading the thread and not knowing the man, now is a great time to come out of lurking and donate.

Here is a holiday picture he recently posted, if you missed it, in the SS holiday thread.

christmas10006.jpg

Horrible news, glad they are safe and losing family heirlooms and pictures is terrible. Scary how fast something like a fire can consume the entire house.

Makes me want to get a box and put all important papers and pictures close to the front door in case something like this happens.

What does everyone think about putting all the raffle donations up for auction in whatever fundraiser thread Sharon puts together?

I think this is a great idea. Hopefully, there are no people that will be upset with canceling the raffle. If so, they can PM me and I'll get them one of the raffle gifts through auction.

Andy

Reading this news was like a punch in the gut. While I am of course glad to hear everyone got out safely, I simply cannot imagine losing everything.

And I am just going to throw this idea out there instead of PM'ing Sharon first.

What does everyone think about putting all the raffle donations up for auction in whatever fundraiser thread Sharon puts together?

It just does not seem right to have a raffle when one of our own had such a tragic event occur.

Anybody else ok with this?

And this might sound odd, but what size shoes does he, his wife and daughter wear?

I'm more than happy to do this instead.

Perfect, I have some books I can donate.

I bet many of us do. If it would help. A sales thread where several people post books, and all the money sent to one paypal account?

Also, I don't know what the guy collected, but I bet many of us would be willing to send him some doubles or under-copies from our collections. No fun to start over from scratch.

Wonderful news that they are safe but that's a very sad loss. :sorry:

Reading this news was like a punch in the gut. While I am of course glad to hear everyone got out safely, I simply cannot imagine losing everything.

And I am just going to throw this idea out there instead of PM'ing Sharon first.

It just does not seem right to have a raffle when one of our own had such a tragic event occur.

Anybody else ok with this?

And this might sound odd, but what size shoes does he, his wife and daughter wear?

I'm more than happy to do this instead.

Perfect, I have some books I can donate.

I bet many of us do. If it would help. A sales thread where several people post books, and all the money sent to one paypal account?

Also, I don't know what the guy collected, but I bet many of us would be willing to send him some doubles or under-copies from our collections. No fun to start over from scratch.

He collects GA Action Comics.

He collects GA Action Comics.

action 1 reprints too.

I just got off the phone with Mike and his wife, I can't imagine how shocked they must be, because I couldn't even figure out what to say here.

They are ALL OK, even the dog, thank G-d...his daughter woke them at 1am today, her room was on fire. By 1:20, the house was gone. The fire probably started in the brick chimney.

There was a very bad blizzard in NY last night and that hampered everything.

He wanted to let you all know that they are OK, no one was hurt. Everything in the house was destroyed.

I have a phone number if anyone wants it, just PM me. They don't have a computer right now, but should soon.

That is horrible.Is there ahything we can do?

I think this is a great idea. Hopefully, there are no people that will be upset with canceling the raffle. If so, they can PM me and I'll get them one of the raffle gifts through auction.

Andy

Great idea!!

Thankfully, everyone made it out safely.