• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Very Bad News, ComicDonna (Mike) just lost his house in a Fire

382 posts in this topic

I just got off the phone with Mike and his wife, I can't imagine how shocked they must be, because I couldn't even figure out what to say here.

They are ALL OK, even the dog, thank G-d...his daughter woke them at 1am today, her room was on fire. By 1:20, the house was gone. The fire probably started in the brick chimney.

There was a very bad blizzard in NY last night and that hampered everything.

He wanted to let you all know that they are OK, no one was hurt. Everything in the house was destroyed.

I have a phone number if anyone wants it, just PM me. They don't have a computer right now, but should soon.

That is horrible.Is there ahything we can do?

I'm on the east coast,Dennis, so I'm going to sleep...but I've been taking Paypal donations all night.

It was suggested that we do an auction thread, I'll set up a thread asking for auction donations tomorrow, but meanwhile if anyone wants to donate something other than Paypal, PM me a description and picture please.

PLEASE don't leave a note here asking me to contact you, it's a really long thread already and I'm afraid I'll miss the posts, it's better if you want to donate something, if you PM me, just put Mike or Comic Donna in the title.

Thanks!

Good night everyone!

Reading this news was like a punch in the gut. While I am of course glad to hear everyone got out safely, I simply cannot imagine losing everything.

And I am just going to throw this idea out there instead of PM'ing Sharon first.

What does everyone think about putting all the raffle donations up for auction in whatever fundraiser thread Sharon puts together?

It just does not seem right to have a raffle when one of our own had such a tragic event occur.

Anybody else ok with this?

And this might sound odd, but what size shoes does he, his wife and daughter wear?

That sounds like a great idea to me.

What a shock to hear. :o:(

I've been honored to have Mike and his wife at my house for dinner, and his house was always available for a visit as well. I'll call him as well to see if he needs anything.

Definitely some sort of fundraiser. I would imagine having some comic books as well would at least put some level of a smile on his face.

Also, I don't know what the guy collected, but I bet many of us would be willing to send him some doubles or under-copies from our collections. No fun to start over from scratch.

He collects GA Action Comics.

action 1 reprints too.

I didn't know Mike, but I have a Action 1 reprint he can have and an Action #315.

Absolutely terrible news. Thank God everybody is OK. I'll find a way of helping out. If someone can pass a message on to Mike for tell him I'll be in touch as soon as I can.

Thank you for all the wishes, I will pass them on. They won't have computer access until later, or tomorrow.

I know Mike would never ask for anything...so for those of you have been kind enough to ask what he wants, as I said, he won't ask for anything. He has always been very generous to others on here.

I'm sure he and his family were also in shock.

There is insurance, and that is paying for a hotel room, but any settlement for the house and belongings won't kick in for a while.

For those of you who don't know, Mike works cutting wood. He had 10 cords of near the house to sell this winter and that all went up as well as all of his work records, checks, etc. and of course this is not exactly the season to cut wood.

All their computers, etc...everything but what they had on is gone.

No safe deposit box, but by a lucky accident, their passports were in his truck, they had used them this week to show proof of age for his daughter and luckily left them there.

His daughter is a teenager, for those of you who asked about donating clothes.

I think I was a little stunned last night myself,so I'm sure I left a few things out.

I didn't want to ask for donations because I know Mike would not ask, but once people started offering, I realized what a great idea it was.

For those of you who want to call him, if I gave you the cell number, I think he's paying that by the minute, so the motel number might work better.

So sorry that this has happened to Mike and his family, like everyone has said, I'm just glad they all got out safely. It could have been so much worse.

Oh man! This is horrible news. :(

It was suggested that we do an auction thread, I'll set up a thread asking for auction donations tomorrow, but meanwhile if anyone wants to donate something other than Paypal, PM me a description and picture please.

Sharon, I'll find some books to donate and send you a PM.

Update

I just spoke to Mike and conveyed everyone's best wishes and their thoughts and prayers,etc.

I now have his Paypal account info, so any further donations can go directly to him.

The insurance co will not kick in for a while with any funds, so he's very grateful. They lost their paypal debit card along with everything else, so he's calling them to get a replacement...but hopefully I can get my daughter who lives not far from him to get some cash to them from what has been donated so far...

I think he's more in shock about the generosity of the board, so thank you all from Mike.