• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1000 comics in 2011 book club

1,225 posts in this topic

Monday

- Bishop: The Last X-Man #1-14. Well, that's two hours (or so) of my life I'm never getting back. What a load of !

Tuesday

- Wolverine Origins #1-10. Not bad, but way too violent for a mainstream superhero comic. Some of the scenes were really... intense :o

Wednesday

- X'Ed Out by Charles Burns. As close to perfection as one can find. A truly remarkable comic. Seek this out immediately! :sumo:

- Unwritten Volume 1: Pretty good but it has the usual fault of every Mike Carey comic. His ideas and concepts are much better than his actual writing skills. If this was written by Grant Morrison or Neil Gaiman it would've been an instant classic.

Currently at 72 and going strong. I was actually laid off earlier today so I'm gonna have much more time for comic books in the following months.

(Thank God for an impressive severance package which give me the opportunity to stay unemployed for two years with no financial worries whatsoever :banana: )

Monday

- Bishop: The Last X-Man #1-14. Well, that's two hours (or so) of my life I'm never getting back. What a load of !

Tuesday

- Wolverine Origins #1-10. Not bad, but way too violent for a mainstream superhero comic. Some of the scenes were really... intense :o

Wednesday

- X'Ed Out by Charles Burns. As close to perfection as one can find. A truly remarkable comic. Seek this out immediately! :sumo:

- Unwritten Volume 1: Pretty good but it has the usual fault of every Mike Carey comic. His ideas and concepts are much better than his actual writing skills. If this was written by Grant Morrison or Neil Gaiman it would've been an instant classic.

Currently at 72 and going strong. I was actually laid off earlier today so I'm gonna have much more time for comic books in the following months.

(Thank God for an impressive severance package which give me the opportunity to stay unemployed for two years with no financial worries whatsoever :banana: )

Sorry about your job, but congrats on the severance package.

Alright, let's do it. I don't want to be called stupid anymore.

Will read Fred Hembeck Destroys the Marvel Universe tonight, pending time availability. A one off issue story arc #1 1989.

:banana: join the party. btw, that book should be burned and counts as -1

Yesterday - Wolverine 14

Today - Wolverine 15 and Jack of Hearts mini # 1 - 3

Nearing 100 read and it's been fun so far.

Here are a couple of my take-aways:

1) I hate Ken Bruzenak's lettering on Wolverine. It's hard to read and what's more, typo ridden which is (?) his fault? I can get past the typos but the lack of legibility is inexcusable.

2) Reading so many comics focuses your mind more on the story and writing than on the art which is nice.

3) It's been over 20 years since I last read the Jack of Hearts mini and I remember loving it as a one-shot in France reprinting the entire mini. I read and re-read it back then and I still like it as I read it anew. The combination of Mantlo' story and Freeman's art is winning. It is not a disappointment to revisit this old favorite.

Had been sick with the flu a couple of days; read a story arc today:

Avengers (Vol. #3) #s 19-22 - "Ultron Unlimited"....

What were they like? I need to read that volume at some point.

Across the Universe: The DC Universe stories of Alan Moore.

•"For the Man Who Has Everything" - Superman Annual #11 - 1985

•"Night Olympics Part One" - Detective Comics #549 - 1985

•"Night Olympics Part Two" - Detective Comics #550 - 1985

•"Mogo Doesn't Socialize - Green Lantern #188 - 1985

•"Father's Day Part One" - Vigilante #17 - 1985

•"Father's Day Part Two - Vigilante #18 - 1985

•"Brief Lives" - The Omega Man #26 - 1985

•"A Man's World" - The Omega Man #27 - 1985

•"The Jungle Line" - DC Comics Presents #85 - 1985

•"Tygers" - Tales of the Green Lantern Corps. Annual #2 - 1986

•"Footsteps" - Secret origins #10 - 1987

•"In Blackest Night" - Tales of the Green Lantern Corps Annual #3 - 1987

•"Mortal Clay" - Batman Annual #11 - 1987

There is an intelligence in every one of these stories, something you don't find in most comics from any age. I particularly liked the two stories from the Omega Man comics, which would make me consider picking up that title sometime in the future (no pun intended!).

I don't read modern Green Lantern books so I would be interested to know if the 'In Blackest Night' tale has any connection to the recent storyline of the same name.

There is an intelligence in every one of these stories, something you don't find in most comics from any age. I particularly liked the two stories from the Omega Man comics, which would make me consider picking up that title sometime in the future (no pun intended!).

I don't read modern Green Lantern books so I would be interested to know if the 'In Blackest Night' tale has any connection to the recent storyline of the same name.

Yes

It was because of the prophecy that they ran with the Blackest night story

Yesterday was a crazy day. I got home and didn't work out. Just wanted to read and escape the work day.

Read the following:

John Byrne's Man of Steel 1-6 - I felt that it wasn't nearly as entertaining as I remember

Morning Glories 1-5 - Had to reread the early issues. It is good and I recommend it :cloud9:

Pride & Joy by Garth Ennis #1-4 - I remember reading this when Preacher was on the stands and really really enjoying it. I still like it but I think it lost some of it's shock value.

Kraven's Last Hunt (6 issues) - I liked it but the ending seemed to throw me off. I didn't understand why

Kraven wanted Spidey alive so badly. Did he want Spidey to live so he could show off to him? And when Vermin is kicking Spidey's butt, why did he throw that knife and stop him?

lol I can't believe I used spoiler tags on a 20+ year old storyline.

Yes

It was because of the prophecy that they ran with the Blackest night story

Cheers (thumbs u

Very nice read; the storyline doesn't cross-over into other titles. Epic battles all around and George Perez at his best in depicting this story before he leaves the title in '99... (thumbs u

Very nice read; the storyline doesn't cross-over into other titles. Epic battles all around and George Perez at his best in depicting this story before he leaves the title in '99... (thumbs u

One of the Best Panels ever

Avengers+-+iwouldhavewordswiththee.JPG

One of the Best Panels ever

Avengers+-+iwouldhavewordswiththee.JPG

Most definitely! Thanx, Ares; had been trying to find & post that panel.... (thumbs u

Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Is there anything bad by Charles Burns? I am going to have to check out that book.