• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Official "Hey, these scores need fixing" thread (Revised)

593 posts in this topic

Was wondering if we could get a score adjustment for Siege #3 Deadpool Variant Cover in the J Scott Campbell list. It had a low print run of 400-500 and is only worth 40 points for a Universal 9.8. By comparison, the Gen 13 #1 Chromium Edition was a print run of 1500 and is 560 points for a Universal 9.8, the Danger Girl #1 Chromium is 360 points for a Universal 9.8 (not sure of the print run but i am sure it is higher than 500). I feel that a point value similar to the Danger Girl #2 Smoking Gun, which is 128 points for a Universal 9.8, is more reflective of this books rarity, demand and value.

Since we're on the subject, Marvel's Greatest Comics 23 also merits a point bump. Besides being scarce in high grade ( only 2 9.6 and 5 9.4, with the fifth copy only recently being graded), a 9.4 only scores 72 points doh!

Peter the Pest 1 9.4 scores 255 and Groovy 1 9.4 scores 360 in comparison.

My 9.6 copy of ABC just dropped from 2600 registry points to 380... ouch. It's a more accurate score though so I'll just KCCO. It is worth noting that a 9.8 recently sold on CLink for $900, but I think realizing that price was a bit of a fluke with all of the high grade file copies out there. Surprisingly a fellow boardie paid the $900 for it.

My 9.6 copy of ABC just dropped from 2600 registry points to 380... ouch. It's a more accurate score though so I'll just KCCO. It is worth noting that a 9.8 recently sold on CLink for $900, but I think realizing that price was a bit of a fluke with all of the high grade file copies out there. Surprisingly a fellow boardie paid the $900 for it.

Lost 3600 points on mine :ohnoez:

There are only 6 9.8 copies in total ( half of them File Copies, 2 Bostons ... so it's not all that much ) but I'm pretty sure I know why the $900 sale was a fluke. Bidding war between 3 very interested people for it. For different reasons.

As for Cap 100, I actually think the points are fair. If you adjust Cap, same would have to apply for all the other 1968 Starters.

The mini spidey comic in the Marvel SA First Issue set is another one which I feel deserves review. It is extremely hard to find, even RAW ( only 8 graded copies with the highest grade being a 6.0 )

I have been searching for 4 years and haven't found any copy noteworthy.

To be able to find a high grade copy ( which I'm pretty sure will never happen) the book would have had to be surgically removed from the magazine as it was glued to it.

KCCO ?

Sorry that you guys have taken such a big hit on ABC #1 - not one I collect though!

I've spotted another scoring misalignment. Marvel Super-Heroes #18 score 285 in the 9.4 in the Marvel Super-Heroes set, but only 210 points in the same grade in the Fantasy Masterpieces and Marvel Super-Heroes set. Apart from leveling off the scores, this one seems way undervalued given its scarcity and the way prices are currently running on GPA.

A few other books that could do with scores looking at are:

Amazing Spider-man 121, 122, 129 - at the moment #122 is way higher than the other two when #121 is death of Gwen and #129 is first appearance of iconic bronze character that led to movies and multiple series.

Avengers #'s 25 and 56 have both had a nudge up in the most recent Overstreet which should probably be reflected in Registry scores.

Avengers #103 hasn't been adjusted in Overstreet but remains by far the toughest of the Avengers issues in the early 100's - has a good case for an upward nudge?.

Captain America #'s 154 to 156 are pretty hot given the links to the modern series and the 'explanation' about the missing years in the 1950's - another upward nudge?

Daredevil Annual #1 scores lower than the concurrent issues in the main series and has a good case for a 50% increase in points value.

I agree that Captain America #100 scores about right in relation to the other 1968 'premier issues', but Hulk #102 seems way low in relation to the others - it can't be right that it scores way less than Doctor Strange #169 and Nick Fury #1, both series that were cancelled within two years!

Journey into Mystery #'s 118 and 119 have both been pushed up in Overstreet in relation to the issues around them - again I think there's a case to reflect this in Registry scores.

Thor #126, a 1966 first issue, which is really tough in grade on the census only scores 820 points for 9.4 when the book GPA's at over $2000. It's far more difficult than any of the 1968 first issues and could probably stand a doubling in points value.

Finally, Silver Surfer #15 is much tougher to come across than the other 15 cent issues, including #14, and could probably do with a review.

Interested if other boardies have spotted any other inconsistencies?

Thor #126, a 1966 first issue, which is really tough in grade on the census only scores 820 points for 9.4 when the book GPA's at over $2000. It's far more difficult than any of the 1968 first issues and could probably stand a doubling in points value.

This.

Gemma,

In the "DC 100 Page Digests" registry set...Best of DC #34 Newsstand Edition has 120 points for 9.8. It has the same scoring for the Direct Edition. I would like to see if it can get a 220 scoring. I wrote up explanation on the Bronze age forum.

Please click on the link below.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5627968&fpart=7

Thanks!

Lost 3600 points on mine :ohnoez:

There are only 6 9.8 copies in total ( half of them File Copies, 2 Bostons ... so it's not all that much ) but I'm pretty sure I know why the $900 sale was a fluke. Bidding war between 3 very interested people for it. For different reasons.

As for Cap 100, I actually think the points are fair. If you adjust Cap, same would have to apply for all the other 1968 Starters.

The mini spidey comic in the Marvel SA First Issue set is another one which I feel deserves review. It is extremely hard to find, even RAW ( only 8 graded copies with the highest grade being a 6.0 )

I have been searching for 4 years and haven't found any copy noteworthy.

To be able to find a high grade copy ( which I'm pretty sure will never happen) the book would have had to be surgically removed from the magazine as it was glued to it.

KCCO ?

KCCO = Keep Calm & Carry On to most folks, but if you are a fellow Chiver it may also be seen as Keep Calm & Chive On which carries the same meaning. theChive.com is possibly the greatest website in the world (the apple and android apps are not bad either). (thumbs u

Gemma,

I was curious if a couple of books could be considered for higher point ranges:

In the Green Lantern 2011 registry set, the Sketch Cover Variants for issues 1, 2, 3, and 4 are worth 24 points in 9.8 which is equal to the regular cover point values. These 4 issues sell for much higher prices as they are limited 1:200 compared to the regular versions. Sketch covers for #2, 3, and 4 average between $100 and $200 in sales where #1 averages between $250 and $350 (with 9.6's and lower still commanding good prices in sales). The #1 recalled edition is even worth more than the regular cover to #1 by 2 points but even it commands prices 3 to 4 times that of the regular covers (but the recalled editions still sell for far less than the sketch cover to issue #1).

I hope this makes sense...this is my first time attempting a point request increase. If you can consider my request to increase the point values for the Green Lantern 2011 Sketch Covers for issues 1, 2, 3, and 4 I'd greatly appreciate it :) Thank you!

Gemma,

Was this ever considered? If you could let me know if this is or isn't possible that'd be great - I made this request back in October but never heard anything either way on it - if an increase isn't warranted that's fine I just thought that the sketch covers, which command a higher premium, should be bumped up to higher point levels than the regular issues and variants (currently they are still worth the same point values but sell for much higher prices - 3 or more times higher than the regular issues).

Thanks!

Ryan

Gemma,

I'm not sure if anyone has asked, but can we increase the score of the Saga Retailer Incentive Version in the Saga (2012) set?

A regular #1 9.8 is worth 32 points, and retailer variant #1 9.8 is 40 points. Seeing as how there are only 500 of the variant, and they sell at 3-5 times the price as the regular cover, I feel like it should at least be double the score. Thanks for all your hard work. We really appreciate it!

Marvel's Greatest Comics 23 merits a point bump. Besides being scarce in high grade ( only 2 9.6 and 5 9.4, with the fifth copy only recently being graded), a 9.4 only scores 72 points doh!

Peter the Pest 1 9.4 scores 255 and Groovy 1 9.4 scores 360 in comparison.

Hi Gemma

I think Peter has a good point on these two books, particularly the Marvel's Greatest #23, a 64 page King Size first issue from the Silver/ Bronze Age transition period which only has seven copies at 9.4 or above - 72 points seems way too low.

Also, I'm interested to know if any consideration is being given to reviewing the scores on other books that I've mentioned recently like Thor #126, MSH #18, Avengers #'s 25, 56 & 103 and others which seem to have gotten out of kilter with recent trends on GPA and/ or Overstreet?

Thanks.

Jon

Jon's points on Thor 126 and MSH 18 are absolutely founded. From the Marvel SA First Issue registry set, Thor 126 and Silver Surfer 1 are by far the hardest to find in super high grade ( 9.6 - 9.8 ) and command the highest prices.

MSH 18 is the third most important book in the Marvel Super-Heroes set and 9.4 - 9.6 sales prices fetch higher than both MSH 1 and 12. There are no 9.8s of MSH 18.

• Administrator

I agree that Captain America #100 scores about right in relation to the other 1968 'premier issues', but Hulk #102 seems way low in relation to the others - it can't be right that it scores way less than Doctor Strange #169 and Nick Fury #1, both series that were cancelled within two years!

Incredible Hulk #102 is higher than those two and a 9.6 on GPA is trending at about $1000 which is where the 9.6 score is currently...I'm going to leave this alone.

(Are you having a problem with a specific entry of this issue? It should be higher than the ones you referenced.)