• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Official "Hey, these scores need fixing" thread (Revised)

593 posts in this topic

I agree with Jeff.

I do not collect GA so I haven't opinionated on GA books but they certainly merit a raise in registry standings for all the reasons aforementioned.

Ditto, I agree with Cheetah that GA books are way tougher to find regardless of what the selling price may be. This is an excellent point to bring up that supports the idea that the registry points aren't connected to price.

Make the points for the rarest books higher, give more weight in the algorithm to scarcity than sales prices/value.

Jeff, I'm sorry about yesterday and my poor memory, I'll fix that when I get back to the thread. Regards,

With all the changes and upgrades to modern and silver age books, some of the golden age titles have been left behind. Doc Joe just picked a beautiful 9.0 copy up the first issue of Four Color Comics from way back in 1936 – 77 years ago. It was Tracy’s first comic book appearance and lead into a title that would produce over 1,300 issues. There are only 10 unrestored copies ever graded by CGC and only two are higher than Doc Joe’s. Yet it is worth only 13,000. Heck, a 9.8 copy of Walking Dead #1 from 2003 is worth 1,080 points and there are a staggering 465 of those with nine copies higher. I think this very early Mega-key has been left in the dust as far as points go and the point value for it should be at least double. Pretty much all of the other early Four Colors are grossly undervalued given their historical significance and rarity.

Nedor titles have also failed to keep up the pace. Exciting, Startling, Thrilling, and Wonder Comics have been some of the hottest golden age titles for nearly a decade and they routinely sell for multiples of guide, even lower-grade copies. Any issue with a WWII Schomburg cover is nearly impossible to track down and the auction battles for top-grade copies are legendary. All of these titles are awarded points much lower than similar ‘hot’ titles that have continued to be hot for years and years. I think all of these titles should receive a significant point boost, maybe as much as 50-100%.

Hitler Covers…has anyone actually tried to buy any recently. They nearly never find their way to the marketplace. Collectors hoard these like the last scraps of bread on a life raft at sea. Yet they don’t really get the point totals in proportion to their demand and scarcity. I think these, too, warrant a significant increase in points regardless of title.

Gemma.

+1, especially on the Hitler cover points. Ridiculously low compared to sales and number of graded copies existing! They should have double the current points, and many should be raised even further than that!

Gemma,

In the Green Lantern 2011 Registry Set, could you make the points for the following issues:

Green Lantern 6 Sketch Cover

Green Lantern 8 Sketch Cover

Green Lantern 9 Sketch Cover

match the point levels for the other sketch covers (issues 1,2,3,4, & 5)? All 9 of these books are 1:200 issues and I figured the later sketch issues all should receive the same point value as the first five (the only reason they don't now is because they probably were created after the first 5 were already in the registry set - if this makes sense).

Anyway, thank you for the consideration - I appreciate all the hard work you do for use collectors :)

Ryan

With all the changes and upgrades to modern and silver age books, some of the golden age titles have been left behind. Doc Joe just picked a beautiful 9.0 copy up the first issue of Four Color Comics from way back in 1936 – 77 years ago. It was Tracy’s first comic book appearance and lead into a title that would produce over 1,300 issues. There are only 10 unrestored copies ever graded by CGC and only two are higher than Doc Joe’s. Yet it is worth only 13,000. Heck, a 9.8 copy of Walking Dead #1 from 2003 is worth 1,080 points and there are a staggering 465 of those with nine copies higher. I think this very early Mega-key has been left in the dust as far as points go and the point value for it should be at least double. Pretty much all of the other early Four Colors are grossly undervalued given their historical significance and rarity.

Nedor titles have also failed to keep up the pace. Exciting, Startling, Thrilling, and Wonder Comics have been some of the hottest golden age titles for nearly a decade and they routinely sell for multiples of guide, even lower-grade copies. Any issue with a WWII Schomburg cover is nearly impossible to track down and the auction battles for top-grade copies are legendary. All of these titles are awarded points much lower than similar ‘hot’ titles that have continued to be hot for years and years. I think all of these titles should receive a significant point boost, maybe as much as 50-100%.

Hitler Covers…has anyone actually tried to buy any recently. They nearly never find their way to the marketplace. Collectors hoard these like the last scraps of bread on a life raft at sea. Yet they don’t really get the point totals in proportion to their demand and scarcity. I think these, too, warrant a significant increase in points regardless of title.

Gemma.

+1, especially on the Hitler cover points. Ridiculously low compared to sales and number of graded copies existing! They should have double the current points, and many should be raised even further than that!

If you think that's bad, you should check out the points for GA Archie books. Almost certainly the largest discrepancy between FMV and CS points of any major character. You could raise them all by an order of magnitude and you'd still be behind the curve on many...

Hi Gemma

Just wondering if you've had opportunity to consider proposal from Peter and myself to review scores on Marvel Premiere #5 and Ghost Rider #1?

Also I mentioned in an earlier post, there is a glitch on X-Men #98 which seems to take scores to twice the value of the numbers immediately around it - this extends to scores for Signature Series X-Men #99.

Best.

Jon

The point system needs an overhaul.

A Batman 608 from 2003 (retail incentive edition) of which there are 171 between 9.6-9.8 is worth 2400 points. Why?? The book is 10 yrs. old and the plentiful in high grade and of no importance whatsoever - these retail incentive editions/variants/blanks etc. are the beanie baby's of comics books, we know how that ended up.

In comparison a 9.6 Marvel Tales 111 from 1953, which is the only 9.6 of the ENTIRE 60 yr. old Marvel Tales run (1949-1957) and a pedigree to boot is worth 2500 points.

The high grade GA books are infinitely rarer and always will be.

The modern books are plentiful, cheap to buy and cheap to slab in bulk looking for a 9.6 or higher.....

GA points need a HUGE bump to reflect rarity and desirability - high grade GA books sell instantly...because they are white whales.

In the meantime another dozen or more 9.6-9.8 Batman 608's will be added to the registry this year further substantiating that they are not rare.

Johnny

...this is also why the registry awards them higher points, the registry is designed to promote the business of slabbing comics...the majority of books slabbed are newer books, of which there are many.

Ouch, don't step on Superman's cape. I agree, but I tried to be a little diplomatic. Be nice. :facepalm:

GA needs a BIG boost no doubt!

Upon comparing them to Moderns' point values - it's absurd.

(I'm not a GA Collector btw)

Thanks for the honest opinion icculus!

Gemma a little help on the GA points it is crazy please!!

The overall scarcity of numerous GA books, coupled with the rarity of them surfacing, than the cost to own some of them when they do come forth........Guide/GPA are out the window to do so.

Like others noted and I followed, comparing their values to Moderns in the Registry is just comical.

My 2c

Agreed Gemma. The entire Golden Age section needs a points boost across the board by 25-40% conservatively when compared to 1960's through the modern era.

Agreed Gemma. The entire Golden Age section needs a points boost across the board by 25-40% conservatively when compared to 1960's through the modern era.

Amen!

25-40% is conservative...

• Administrator

Unfortunately the system doesn't make it such that I can just adjust the points for all of the books of a certain age. I have to go set by set. If I can have some specific titles that are underscored, then I can adjust those as requested. Also, no changes will be made until after the awards deadline.

Unfortunately the system doesn't make it such that I can just adjust the points for all of the books of a certain age. I have to go set by set. If I can have some specific titles that are underscored, then I can adjust those as requested. Also, no changes will be made until after the awards deadline.

Gemma-

Thanks for looking into this. Here are my votes for a immediate point increase of 20-40% to reflect scarcity, value and demand:

Marvel Tales (1949)

Marvel Mystery Comics

Mystery Tales

Adventures into weird worlds

Adventures into terror

Again, thanks Gemma.

Johnny

I would think that Iron Man and Sub-Mariner in 9.8 (only) should deserve a point bump. Points attributed to grades all the way up to 9.6 seem to be fair though ( and in line with availability and value) .

There are only 8 9.8 copies of IMSM compared to 30 9.8 for Iron Man and 41 for Sub-Mariner.

True, IMSM is a lead up story to both Iron Man #1 and Sub-Mariner #1 but it is a rather difficult book to find in 9.8 and on the seldom occasion one does show up, sales in 9.8 by far exceed Sub-Mariner 1 and are a close match to Iron Man 1.

I would think somewhere along the lines of 2600-2800 points IMHO, perhaps not deserving more only because of its lesser importance.

IMSM 9.8 - 1800 points

Iron Man 9.8 - 4600 points

Sub-Mariner 9.8 - 3200 points

In the Moon Knight set, the points for Werewolf By Night #32 are worth more than the total of every other book in 9.8.

A set that is mostly incomplete and far lower average grade but with WBN #32 in 9.8 currently beats a COMPLETE 9.8 set but with WBN #32 in 9.6...

That seems... Broken. I think the points for that book should be toned down a bit; perhaps 50%. Or reduce the 60% increase of a 9.8 over a 9.6...