• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Official "Hey, these scores need fixing" thread (Revised)

593 posts in this topic

• Administrator
Gemma,

I was curious if a couple of books could be considered for higher point ranges:

In the Green Lantern 2011 registry set, the Sketch Cover Variants for issues 1, 2, 3, and 4 are worth 24 points in 9.8 which is equal to the regular cover point values. These 4 issues sell for much higher prices as they are limited 1:200 compared to the regular versions. Sketch covers for #2, 3, and 4 average between $100 and $200 in sales where #1 averages between $250 and $350 (with 9.6's and lower still commanding good prices in sales). The #1 recalled edition is even worth more than the regular cover to #1 by 2 points but even it commands prices 3 to 4 times that of the regular covers (but the recalled editions still sell for far less than the sketch cover to issue #1).

I hope this makes sense...this is my first time attempting a point request increase. If you can consider my request to increase the point values for the Green Lantern 2011 Sketch Covers for issues 1, 2, 3, and 4 I'd greatly appreciate it :) Thank you!

Gemma,

Was this ever considered? If you could let me know if this is or isn't possible that'd be great - I made this request back in October but never heard anything either way on it - if an increase isn't warranted that's fine I just thought that the sketch covers, which command a higher premium, should be bumped up to higher point levels than the regular issues and variants (currently they are still worth the same point values but sell for much higher prices - 3 or more times higher than the regular issues).

Thanks!

Ryan

I have it on my list, but it will take at least a day to complete since I will have to update all other new DC sets at the same time (which means I'll probably have to do Marvel eventually, too). To do this I have to take a day away from sets and additions and I only work on the registry once a week so it has been delayed/put on hold for now, sorry. I hope to get to it soon.

Hi Gemma. Can you raise the registry points on Amazing Fantasy #15? Currently the points you get are about half what the cost of the book is in 6.5 and higher.

For example:

a 7.5 copy sold for $59,000 and the points are 26250

a 9.6 copy sold for $1,100,000 and the points are 525,000

Thanks!

Hi Gemma

Thanks for reviewing and adjusting scores on the books I mentioned. I think these new scores more accurately represent that mix of market, scarcity and demand, albeit I think you've been a tad harsh in how you've dealt with Amazing Spidey #'s 121 & 122, I'd of been inclined to go about 50% higher than the scores that you have awarded.

In terms of those Marvel 1968 starter issues, I do think some of them need another look.and a bit of a tidy up. I'm particularly thinking of the following #'s:

Doctor Strange #169 scores 600 points in 9.4 in the Marvel 1968 Series Starter set, but 750 points in his own title in the same grade.

Incredible Hulk #102 is 605 points for 9.4 in 1968 Series Starter and own title.

Nick Fury #1 is 740 points for 9.4 in 1968 Series Starter and own title.

Thank you for your continuing great work - it's an incredible challenge staying abreast of so many different genres and collecting niches in a volatile market.

Jon

Gemma,

I was curious if a couple of books could be considered for higher point ranges:

In the Green Lantern 2011 registry set, the Sketch Cover Variants for issues 1, 2, 3, and 4 are worth 24 points in 9.8 which is equal to the regular cover point values. These 4 issues sell for much higher prices as they are limited 1:200 compared to the regular versions. Sketch covers for #2, 3, and 4 average between $100 and $200 in sales where #1 averages between $250 and $350 (with 9.6's and lower still commanding good prices in sales). The #1 recalled edition is even worth more than the regular cover to #1 by 2 points but even it commands prices 3 to 4 times that of the regular covers (but the recalled editions still sell for far less than the sketch cover to issue #1).

I hope this makes sense...this is my first time attempting a point request increase. If you can consider my request to increase the point values for the Green Lantern 2011 Sketch Covers for issues 1, 2, 3, and 4 I'd greatly appreciate it :) Thank you!

Gemma,

Was this ever considered? If you could let me know if this is or isn't possible that'd be great - I made this request back in October but never heard anything either way on it - if an increase isn't warranted that's fine I just thought that the sketch covers, which command a higher premium, should be bumped up to higher point levels than the regular issues and variants (currently they are still worth the same point values but sell for much higher prices - 3 or more times higher than the regular issues).

Thanks!

Ryan

I have it on my list, but it will take at least a day to complete since I will have to update all other new DC sets at the same time (which means I'll probably have to do Marvel eventually, too). To do this I have to take a day away from sets and additions and I only work on the registry once a week so it has been delayed/put on hold for now, sorry. I hope to get to it soon.

Thank you, Gemma! I appreciate all your help with this! :)

There is way more to the Registry Algorithm than cost. Walking Dead would need a 20x bump if it were nothing more than cost.

But walking dead is a fad that could easily turn on a dime.

I don't think there's any denying Spider-Man's value as a character who is the cornerstone of the Marvel Universe, his historical importance over the last 50 years or the future longevity of Spider-Man. Spider-Man is one of the most recognizable characters in all of human history! How does that add up on the Registry Algorithm?

There is way more to the Registry Algorithm than cost. Walking Dead would need a 20x bump if it were nothing more than cost.

I don't think there's any denying Spider-Man's value as a character who is the cornerstone of the Marvel Universe, his historical importance over the last 50 years or the future longevity of Spider-Man. Spider-Man is one of the most recognizable characters in all of human history! How does that add up on the Registry Algorithm?

I am just telling you that there are more factors than cost. All you cited was cost. Go get those Registry points, tiger! Thanks for the Spider-man history lesson! (thumbs u

I am just telling you that there are more factors than cost. All you cited was cost. Go get those Registry points, tiger! Thanks for the Spider-man history lesson! (thumbs u

Sean's just upset that his Peter panzerfaust books don't get tons of registry points... Yet...

Hi Gemma,

Thank you for the adjustment on the Siege #3. Can you also fix the entry for Witchblade #151 in the J Scott Campbell list? It currently has no points and it is not listed as the Variant Cover. I looked at the Witchblade set and there is an entry and points for Witchblade #151 Variant Cover and that should be the one in the Campbell list. Thank you.

Hi Gemma. Can you raise the registry points on Amazing Fantasy #15? Currently the points you get are about half what the cost of the book is in 6.5 and higher.

For example:

a 7.5 copy sold for $59,000 and the points are 26250

a 9.6 copy sold for $1,100,000 and the points are 525,000

Thanks!

Wow. I've got sole highest graded, first-issue 70-year old comics that are now worth less than 5% of a similar graded AF 15. Seriously? Why not just peg the whole thing to GPA and make it all about the money?

• Administrator

I'm happy to adjust them if an agreement on a reasonable score can be reached. Timely was just in a hurry for this change and there was no strong opposition at the time, but if another proposal is made, I'm happy to give it a shot. :)

I've said before that every time someone gets a boost in points for one book it puts everything else out of whack. There are now 538 Walking Dead #1s walking around with a 9.8 yet they still garner 1,080 points. Wolverine #1, arguably the Walking Dead of the 1980's, has 1,012 9.8s and draws 360 points. Why the difference? There isn't a request twice a week to increase the points for Wolverine 1. 1,080 points for a book printed 10 years ago and you have thousands of silver age issues where there are only a handful of 9.8s and they are worth less. You've got to go all the way back to Avengers 30 printed in 1966 to get a 9.8 worth more than Walking Dead 1. And there is only one copy out of 123 graded copies of Avengers 30 that has managed a 9.8.

You've now got the top graded unrestored Amazing Fantasy worth nearly as much as the top graded unrestored Action Comics 1 and worth nearly twice as much as the highest graded unrestored Detective 27. There are 39 unrestored AF 15s graded higher than 8.0. There are only 37 unrestored copies of Action 1 and 29 unrestored copies of Detective 27 graded at all. Having a single copy of AF 15 in 9.6 now puts you in 15th place in the registry. The day someone manages to press one into a 9.8, that one books will put them in 6th place.

I have no idea if the distribution of points in the registry ever made any sense and I don't really care how much some specific books is worth. But the lack of perspective on how points relate to scarcity, age and condition vs. how much some yahoo on ebay overpaid for a book that will be worth 10% of the price in 10 years is disappointing. I think the point changes need to take in a broader view of the hobby instead of just responding to the latest fad and folks believing their collection should be worth more.

And, FWIW, Alpha Flight (1983) is the single most overvalued title in the registry. It ought to be worth half (or less) of what it is.

I have no idea if the distribution of points in the registry ever made any sense and I don't really care how much some specific books is worth. But the lack of perspective on how points relate to scarcity, age and condition vs. how much some yahoo on ebay overpaid for a book that will be worth 10% of the price in 10 2 years is disappointing. I think the point changes need to take in a broader view of the hobby instead of just responding to the latest fad and folks believing their collection should be worth more.

fixed it for you!

When I wanted an increase in registry points for Pre-Hero Marvels I was told I should start a thread and get some votes. Just because one person, who now owns a high grade AF 15, requests more points doesn't necessarily mean it should be done. I'm in total agreement with Cheetah, the registry is fast becoming a reflection of GPA. Why bother ?

I agree. Books like Wolverine #1, Walking Dead, and basically any book printed in the past 30 years should have relatively low registry points. But you cannot compare modern books to Silver Age books, just like you cannot compare Silver Age books to Golden Age books.

Just because a book is older and rarer does not mean it should be worth more. AF #15 is the Holy Grail of the Silver Age. It is not a fad and certainly not a book that will be worth 10% of what it's worth now (unless N Korea starts WWIII in which case none of this matters). As I said before, AF #15 is the most significant book that has come out since 1962. I'd bet more people recognize Spider-Man than they do their own president's face. Spider-Man goes far beyond just a comic book character, it transcends culture. Few comics will ever achieve that type of WORLD recognition.

The registry certainly isn't perfect, that's for sure. For example, all Qualified copies should be worth a LOT less than they currently are. An Action Comics #18 8.0 universal is worth 3360 points yet a Qualified copy is worth 2856 point! What if that copy is missing pages, shouldn't it be worth closer to 300 points? To further compound things, a complete copy that is restored in 3.0 is worth as little as 60 points!

Sales and Registry Points do not mix very well at all. For example: a Marvel Mystery Comics #46 CGC 2.0 Restored copy sold for $1500 and the registry points awarded are only 110! :o

There is a 9.8 copy of Captain America Comics #1. If that copy hits the registry it's worth 1,200,000 points. I believe the owner paid $265K for it. Lucky him! That one book catapults him into 5th place! (He also owns the All American Comics #16 CGC 9.4. So, with only those 2 comic books, he catapults himself into 2nd place)

My point wasn't that AF 15 was significant, it was that when you make a change that increases the point value of a book by 250,000 points, the change can't be done in a vacuum. A 250,000 point change over night is more registry points than all but the top 59 collectors in the registry. We've already been through at least two rounds of point inflation on SA marvels in the past three years. One even gave Schmell an extra million points.

As I said, I don't really care about the points of a single book, just that dropping a 250,000 point bomb into the registry without taking into account anything else leads to other books warranting similar increases. Otherwise, you end up with the top 50 collections being dominated by folks holding a decent copy of AF 15. Every other book is chump change.

FWIW, I think the incessant request for increases in point values have lead to handful of collectors getting disproportionate points for a handful of modern and SA Marvel books. Other books of comparable collectibility and quality get left behind.