• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fantastic Four Movie

1,078 posts in this topic

Don't get me wrong, I love the FF, but I don't have high hopes for the movie.

I agree....what a shame too..we need someone to put some passion into it... like the xmen & spidey movies. sorry.gif

So releasing this movie should make the Marvel Stock price rise

now let's hope they take it seriously so i can come back at JC in 18 months and refer back to this thread where he assuredly states that FF will tank.

Now I hope this helps people understand why I get so 893censored-thumb.gif irritated with some people on here, who insist on lying and putting words in my mouth.

I'm talking about the potential QUALITY of the movie, and nowhere did I EVER make a prediction on the box office, as a studio can spend $50+ million on advertising and make a ton the opening weekend.

Please see Daredevil (another "JC Suck Hass Movie") for a prime example of this. The movie still sucked hass, and even a $40+ million opening and a pack of drooling fanboys couldn't save that turkey.

So once again, I predict the FF movie will SUCK MAJOR HASS, but only a fool would make a bet on its Box Office, That really comes down to how much the studio wants to spend promoting it for opening weekend.

But that begs the question JC: Can a movie still be said to suck if its grosses 300 million for example? Sure even at that level many people will think it sucked. There are some who think Spidey 2 sucked.. but it's a moneymaking smash at the same time. So clearly "sucking" is in the eye of the Beyonder I mean Beholder! You have disliked all the recent movies... and most agree with you about them. But you cant dictate tease, and some people liked DD, Punisher....and some will like Catwoman too. God help them perhaps, but not everyone cherished Byrne XMen too!!

But that begs the question JC: Can a movie still be said to suck if its grosses 300 million for example?

Uh...Star Wars Episode I, anyone? Star Wars Episode II? The Matrix Reloaded? Armageddon? Jurassic Park III? The Planet of the Apes remake? The Flintstones? Hannibal? (all grossed $300 million+ in the global b.o.)

While the fanboys may be drooling over the FF, Iron Man, Thor, Power-Man, Man-Thing, etc. movies getting made, to think that any of them have a shot at pulling in $300 million type numbers, or even $150 million type numbers, is, IMO, extremely optimistic. These properties do not have the built-in fan bases of Spidey, the Hulk or the X-Men, and I wouldn't bet a dollar of your money that Michael Chiklis, Jessica Alba and 2 unknowns are going to pack the cineplexes for the FF movie. Remember, other heavily hyped fanboy movies like The Punisher and Van Helsing bombed miserably relative to expectations...less than $34 million and $120 million in domestic grosses for the two, respectively.

By the way, in determining the profitability of these films, I think there has been some major misinformation spread about how much the studios receive from the box office. In a front-page article in the June 9, 2004 "Daily Variety" entertainment industry newspaper, it says that "the studio [gets] around 55% of grosses...on par with what a major studio would get on its blockbusters". I think some other posters have suggested that the take is well north of 70%, which isn't true. If anything, the article goes on to suggest that the take on most movies is less than 55%, with Regal Cinemas offering Mel Gibson's company only a 34% cut of receipts from The Passion of the Christ.

Can a movie still be said to suck if its grosses 300 million for example?

Of course it can. The quality of a movie has nothing to do with the amount of money it makes. You can apply this to comic books also. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Of course it can. The quality of a movie has nothing to do with the amount of money it makes. You can apply this to comic books also. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Exactly. IF #14 is a prime example of this. People will pay big money, even though Sabretooth is a lame character. wink.gif

Exactly. IF #14 is a prime example of this. People will pay big money, even though Sabretooth is a lame character. wink.gif

tonofbricks.gif27_laughing.gif

tonofbricks.gif27_laughing.gif

I couldn't resist. blush.gif

The 70% number probably came from people remembering George Lucas trying to get that from movie owners if they wanted to show the Phantom Menace. I believe he backed the number down after the uproar....

Jim

Who ultimately determines quality, though??? People are NEVER going to agree 100% that a film is great or terrible. As such, NO ONE person has the authority to declare their opinion over a film's quality is "better" than any other opinion.

That's why arguments such as this are trivial at best.

Let's see - blonde blue-eyed girl next door with a brother who's also blonde. Let's cast the dark-haired, olive-skinned Alba instead of, say, the fifty million actresses who actually already look like the character and are (in some cases at least) far more talented. Why? No reason. Why, do we need one?

Hehe - great post, couldn't have said it better - or perhaps this well - myself! As soon as I saw the thread title, I thought "yeah, she's hot, no doubt, but why not get Elisha Cuthbert or any of several dozen equally hot chicks who are actually blonde and blue-eyed? Or at least blonde?

Not quite as having a blonde guy play Bruce Banner I guess, but pretty odd and definitely not a good sign as far as the "faithfulness" that the movie's overseers are planning to apply in bringing the FF to the big screen (again).

Or maybe Sue Storm's character is invisible from the outset, and Alba's simply the voice talent? insane.gif

The 70% number probably came from people remembering George Lucas trying to get that from movie owners if they wanted to show the Phantom Menace. I believe he backed the number down after the uproar....

Jim

Deathlok can probably answer this better than anyone.

The 55% is essentially a good average of what studios take on most films. It's a little misleading though. Studios take 70% of box office receipts for the first week of a movies' release and less on the subsequent weeks, staggered every week with 30% being the take after the first couple of weeks. Where this can really make a difference in the 55% average is for movies that make most of their money in the first couple of weeks. Day After Tomorrow made 112 mil of its 182 mil take in the first 2 weeks with almost 100 mil being in the first week. The studio made a higher percentage for that film then something like Shrek 2 which has had incredible legs and wasn't so front loaded.

To all FF fans who haven't seen this guy in King Arthur; he comes across as a very competent actor. He delivered a pretty good mini-monologue early on in the movie with a very believable type of passion and energy....of course, those two words are the anti-thesis of Reed Richard's personality, so we shall see how he pans out.

Personally, I'm excited, but I'm just a biased fan-boy who can't wait to see his childhood heroes on the Big Screen. Now, have they made any announcements about who was going to play Dr. Doom? Considering the Marvel movies have all employed "known" actors as villains, I wonder who is going to get the call this time?