• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Batman 227 the "key" Neal Adams Batman book to have?
4 4

2,411 posts in this topic

That's a great collection of Adams Batman books. :)

I've still barely started - the only one I've got so far is a very nice Detective Comics 404.

I'm not crazy about the green myself, but I do like the cover. Issue 232 was the first Batman comic that I bought since getting back into the "hobby" a couple of months ago. I really wish I hung onto the copy I had when I was 18. I'm sure it would have graded in the 9.4-9.6 range at the minimum.

Anyway, I actually became really interested in issue 227 when it was featured in the Dark Knight documentary from the movie Blu-Ray. Other than it being a cool cover, I never knew of it's significance in the collecting community.

I'm not crazy about the green myself, but I do like the cover. Issue 232 was the first Batman comic that I bought since getting back into the "hobby" a couple of months ago. I really wish I hung onto the copy I had when I was 18. I'm sure it would have graded in the 9.4-9.6 range at the minimum.

Anyway, I actually became really interested in issue 227 when it was featured in the Dark Knight documentary from the movie Blu-Ray. Other than it being a cool cover, I never knew of it's significance in the collecting community.

It doesn't really have any significance story-wise, that's the odd thing about it. It is just a cool homage cover that has really exploded in popularity in the past 5-8 years. The 9.4 Rocky Mountain on ComicLink is already well above average price in grade, and isn't even that pretty of a copy IMO.

Anyone following the Bat 227 9.4 on Clink?

Am I missing something (and keep in mind I'm a BA noob) but why is it already at $1,400? I believe the last GPA for a 9.4 which was recent was only in the $800s?

Is the Rocky Mountain Ped such a treasured thing? hm

Am I missing something (and keep in mind I'm a BA noob) but why is it already at $1,400? I believe the last GPA for a 9.4 which was recent was only in the $800s?

someone probably got a preview night look and decided it could press to 9.6

Actually the Rocky Mountain Bats 227 was a 9.0 not too long ago. It sold about 2 or 3 CL auctions ago. The buyer pressed and resubbed it to a 9.4.

And as far as GPA on a 9.4 goes, that $845 was one sale and the prior sales were in the $1,400 range. I think I remember the $845 copy, miswrap and cream/ow pages. Since there haven't been any other recorded sales in the past year, that $845.00 is a bit misleading.

Nice, non-pedigree copes with OW or better pq and good centering should be in the $1,200-$1,500 range and the RM copy will probably go in the $1,800 - $2,200.00 range imo.

Actually the Rocky Mountain Bats 227 was a 9.0 not too long ago. It sold about 2 or 3 CL auctions ago. The buyer pressed and resubbed it to a 9.4.

And as far as GPA on a 9.4 goes, that $845 was one sale and the prior sales were in the $1,400 range. I think I remember the $845 copy, miswrap and cream/ow pages. Since there haven't been any other recorded sales in the past year, that $845.00 is a bit misleading.

Nice, non-pedigree copes with OW or better pq and good centering should be in the $1,200-$1,500 range and the RM copy will probably go in the $1,800 - $2,200.00 range imo.

You sure it is the same 9.0 copy squished and not a second RM copy? I would have expected the RM sticker to be missing if this was a re-sub, but this copy has it.

I'm not 100% positive it is the same copy, but it has that same tiny miswrap that the 9.0 had. I've been trying to hunt down the 9.0 sale but haven't found it yet. It is also my understanding that as long as you send the CGC label with the resub that you won't lose the pedigree status?

Do you know how many copies the RM had of 227?

Edited by scooter99

I'm not 100% positive it is the same copy, but it has that same tiny miswrap that the 9.0 had. I've been trying to hunt down the 9.0 sale but haven't found it yet. It is also my understanding that as long as you send the CGC label with the resub that you won't lose the pedigree status?

Do you know how many copies the RM had of 227?

No idea. If it is the same copy and has already been pressed, that would affect the final hammer price negatively I'd imagine. hm

You sure it is the same 9.0 copy squished and not a second RM copy? I would have expected the RM sticker to be missing if this was a re-sub, but this copy has it.

book was graded 3/11, so it's certainly possible it's the same book that was a 9.0. how difficult would it be to replace the sticker??? i wonder about the Bats #181 9.6 RM (graded 1/11) which is either another copy or the same book (squished or straight resubbed) that sold in 11/10 as a 9.4.

The Batman 227 9.0 RM was sold on C-Link back in January's auction, I think scooter99 is right because it does have the same characteristics as the 9.4 and other sites are saying it was pressed also.

Wow. I thought all of the more valuable Rocky Mountain books were "optimized" before being sold?

I guess that means there is some upgrade potential with some of the others as well?

Edited by kimik

I guess I'm still ignorant, but how can CGC not consider pressing a form of restoration? Once again, I'm more familiar with the sports card collecting and practices such as this would automatically lower the specimen one grade value (if not more).

I guess I'm still ignorant, but how can CGC not consider pressing a form of restoration? Once again, I'm more familiar with the sports card collecting and practices such as this would automatically lower the specimen one grade value (if not more).

Because pressing when done correctly is undetectable by CGC.

Wow now upto $1700. Did anybody notice that the previous issue i.e 226 is from the Oakland collection and is a 9.6. I know that the #227 from this collection is also a 9.6 and i have been waiting for years for this to go up for sale. I also had confirmation about a year ago that it was still in its old original blue label and i am so hoping this RM copy sells for a high price to tempt the owner of the Oakland copy to finally sell. :wishluck: