• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Batman 227 the "key" Neal Adams Batman book to have?
4 4

2,411 posts in this topic

The census for #227 is quite revealing, I wonder why the amount of graded copies is so low. Compared to, say, #232 there is only a miniscule amount of graded copies on the census.

I would imagine it's the same problem you have with '71 Topps baseball cards and '85 Topps football cards. The black borders are so condition sensitive, they practically chip if you stare at them hard enough. The number of quality copies worth submitting are probably just plain fewer and far between. That said, I'm still astounded a cover is enough to drive the popularity of this book so high. I've been monitoring raw copies of this on eBay and it appears to sell really well even in lower grades. Admittedly, I really like this book and the fact that the story and interior artwork is rather blah, it's one of the few books that lends itself to slabbing real well as you never miss what's on the inside.

Does this book look ahem* odd to anyone else?

ebay auction

Specifically look at the top staple and interior shot. Besides not being in the stated grade the book looks off IMO.

The seller notes there there is tape on centerfold and on spine which is a pretty big red flag. No book in 9.2 or 9.4 from 1970 should have tape holding it together. I'm a little surprised that the book has been bid up so high. It is miswrapped to boot.

At least the seller disclosed the tape.

ebay auction

Specifically look at the top staple and interior shot. Besides not being in the stated grade the book looks off IMO.

The seller notes there there is tape on centerfold and on spine which is a pretty big red flag. No book in 9.2 or 9.4 from 1970 should have tape holding it together. I'm a little surprised that the book has been bid up so high. It is miswrapped to boot.

At least the seller disclosed the tape.

true dat! (thumbs u

ebay auction

The seller notes there there is tape on centerfold and on spine which is a pretty big red flag. No book in 9.2 or 9.4 from 1970 should have tape holding it together.

I've seen this auction. It makes my head hurt...

Header: FLAWLESS 9.2 - 9.4

(scroll down a couple screens' worth of space)

... two tiny pieces of tape on inside of spine ... two tiny pieces of tape on centerfold ...

Talk about friggin' bait and switch. doh!

ebay auction

The seller notes there there is tape on centerfold and on spine which is a pretty big red flag. No book in 9.2 or 9.4 from 1970 should have tape holding it together.

I've seen this auction. It makes my head hurt...

Header: FLAWLESS 9.2 - 9.4

(scroll down a couple screens' worth of space)

... two tiny pieces of tape on inside of spine ... two tiny pieces of tape on centerfold ...

Talk about friggin' bait and switch. doh!

$255 and climbing, on a book that's probably worth 20% of that. doh!

It pays to read the fine print.