• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,829 posts in this topic

On 9/19/2021 at 5:18 PM, kevhtx said:

Had fun at Fan Expo Dallas. Great to be back at a con again. Wish I could go to Baltimore and/or NY. I spent a lot on the Tynion packages (Something's Killing the Children/Department of Truth) and signatures from Cates, Higgins, and Ramos. Got some Radiant Black #1's, Ordinary God's #1's, Champion's #1's, God Country #1's, and a bunch of other books signed/sent off to CGC. Tynion, Dell'Edera, and Simmonds cancelled, but Scott's is getting all my Something's Killing the Children and Department of Truth books signed at either NYCC or at Thought Bubble in November.

227052305_IMG_53612.thumb.jpg.651041c876d08cbdbe57ed070e9f8a96.jpg

Got some Shuri spec (made a deal on multiple books from a vendor. All high grade, NM+ or better candidates. Got first appearance of Maestro/first cover appearance, which has been on my target list, for $30 total. Made a deal on the Department of Truth #2 1:25 for $150. Gonna crack it and send to get signed/graded. Potential 9.8, but there is one place at the staples that could keep it at 9.6. The Last Padawan is a potential 9.8 as well. Got it for $150. Bought some Fan Expo exclusive foils as well. My wallet hurts from the weekend.

Hey glad you enjoyed!

Post some pics here, and reminisce!  :tink:

On 9/19/2021 at 4:18 PM, kevhtx said:

Had fun at Fan Expo Dallas. Great to be back at a con again. Wish I could go to Baltimore and/or NY. I spent a lot on the Tynion packages (Something's Killing the Children/Department of Truth) and signatures from Cates, Higgins, and Ramos. Got some Radiant Black #1's, Ordinary God's #1's, Champion's #1's, God Country #1's, and a bunch of other books signed/sent off to CGC. Tynion, Dell'Edera, and Simmonds cancelled, but Scott's is getting all my Something's Killing the Children and Department of Truth books signed at either NYCC or at Thought Bubble in November.

227052305_IMG_53612.thumb.jpg.651041c876d08cbdbe57ed070e9f8a96.jpg

Got some Shuri spec (made a deal on multiple books from a vendor. All high grade, NM+ or better candidates. Got first appearance of Maestro/first cover appearance, which has been on my target list, for $30 total. Made a deal on the Department of Truth #2 1:25 for $150. Gonna crack it and send to get signed/graded. Potential 9.8, but there is one place at the staples that could keep it at 9.6. The Last Padawan is a potential 9.8 as well. Got it for $150. Bought some Fan Expo exclusive foils as well. My wallet hurts from the weekend.

I'm a big DoT fan. 

That cover is so wrong, yet so vividly captures scenes in that issue.  

Talk to me about Wynd.  Not one I'm familiar with.

Patrick

On 9/19/2021 at 4:53 PM, Chas-71 said:

What do you think of the recent run (last 2 years) on Batman. I think it’s been excellent. 

I've been thinking about it a lot lately. 

For me, it's pretty marginal.  He's done an amazing job of introducing new characters/things, which obviously has been huge in making speculators/fans happy. 

The story just hasn't done much for me.  I'd like to see a more cohesive story with all of these introductions. 

The back story in the last run has been really boring for me. I've reached a point where I flip thru the backstory now. 

Patrick

On 9/19/2021 at 8:06 PM, followtheleader said:

I'm a big DoT fan. 

Patrick

Yeah, I really like DoT as well. I'm behind though. Need to catch up on some issues. Yeah, I had wanted this 1:25 cover for a while. It is disturbing, but its first appearance of the star-faced man. Prices were just too high. When I was at the con today, saw this 9.6 for $175 and offered him $150. Decent deal since one sold last month on ebay for $300. DoT prices have dipped so its a good time to buy in anticipation of the show/movie. This one has no spine ticks and Im sending books for Tynion to sign soon. Perfect opportunity for a grade bump. Only issue I see on it is a little white around one of the staples on back. 

I haven't read Wynd. It is another Tynion book and I heard its good. I liked that variant cover of #1 and they had cover A for $5 so I grabbed it up too. Might send both of these off for signing.

On 9/19/2021 at 7:47 PM, kevhtx said:

Yeah, I really like DoT as well. I'm behind though. Need to catch up on some issues. Yeah, I had wanted this 1:25 cover for a while. It is disturbing, but its first appearance of the star-faced man. Prices were just too high. When I was at the con today, saw this 9.6 for $175 and offered him $150. Decent deal since one sold last month on ebay for $300. DoT prices have dipped so its a good time to buy in anticipation of the show/movie. This one has no spine ticks and Im sending books for Tynion to sign soon. Perfect opportunity for a grade bump. Only issue I see on it is a little white around one of the staples on back. 

I haven't read Wynd. It is another Tynion book and I heard its good. I liked that variant cover of #1 and they had cover A for $5 so I grabbed it up too. Might send both of these off for signing.

I'll be interested in your perspective on the Samsquantch story.  I really enjoyed it.

Patrick

On 9/19/2021 at 6:06 PM, followtheleader said:

I'm a big DoT fan. 

Patrick

1st issue of Wynd didn’t grab me. Boom has had a lot of very good titles recently, but this felt like a typical entry in the ‘kid on the run’ genre.

On 9/19/2021 at 8:58 PM, Hekla said:

1st issue of Wynd didn’t grab me. Boom has had a lot of very good titles recently, but this felt like a typical entry in the ‘kid on the run’ genre.

Yeah, I liked the variant and since it was Tynion, figured I'd pull the trigger. Not sure if there's been any option news on it or anything.

On 9/19/2021 at 9:47 PM, kevhtx said:

I haven't read Wynd. It is another Tynion book and I heard its good.

Since @kevhtx hasn't read it, I'll weigh in... I read the first trade of Wynd, and it was fun. The art has an intentionally "simple" feel, though with impressive moments, and the writing has a distinct YA tone. I quite enjoyed it, but I'm not sure I enjoyed it enough to pick up subsequent trades. I'm a fan of more complex storylines, and "slow burn" build ups... That's not really the space that Wynd is in. Maybe an analogy is that I like The Lord of the Rings, and this is The Hobbit. Your mileage may vary...

I just got these from Penguin Random House, labeled PRH EXC and they are already going for $60-$80 on ebay, I didnt order them. They are Fantastic Four #35 and polybagged with a $9.99 sticker on the back. If these are truly just 1 per account with PRH I expect these are going to keep going up but who knows.

20210920_151145.jpg

On 9/20/2021 at 9:31 AM, Brock said:

Since @kevhtx hasn't read it, I'll weigh in... I read the first trade of Wynd, and it was fun. The art has an intentionally "simple" feel, though with impressive moments, and the writing has a distinct YA tone. I quite enjoyed it, but I'm not sure I enjoyed it enough to pick up subsequent trades. I'm a fan of more complex storylines, and "slow burn" build ups... That's not really the space that Wynd is in. Maybe an analogy is that I like The Lord of the Rings, and this is The Hobbit. Your mileage may vary...

I actually liked wynd better as it got to the later issues when the vampires came. It would make a good animated show