• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,832 posts in this topic

I think Rat Queens has a decent chance to grow in readership based on one thing.............the female comic collector/reader. I have posted about this before, but over the past 3 - 4 years the number of female collectors buying new and older (SA/BA) back issues has grown rapidly. It pays now to actually take Archies from new collections to shows of just tossing them out...........

Bingo. Only diff is that the emphasis is on female readers as opposed to collectors.. Thats the reason why the TPB hold a #1 spot. It is an EASY book to market to everyone based on commercial value and appeal...

Wanna buy your GF a cool gift? Get her a Rat Queens Tee

Wanna buy your niece a cool read.. There you go.. Rat Queens TPB

Once they get it.. Theyre hooked..

Cant do that with any other book that I know of today.

I already said it before.. This doesnt even needs a TV show, its just INEVITABLE..

It only needs a female celebrity tweet (selena gomez, Miley, Rihanna..).. A talk show recomendation (The View, Ellen Show, etc..) and BOOM

This one screams cross over all around it. 20,000 print run of #1 is NOTHING if this gets to TMNT levels, which in my belief, it would.

I am pretty sure Rihanna and Selena Gomez don't read comics. I have followed them on twitter And on Instagram and they have never posted a single tweet about a comic book lol

I don't see the tmnt comparison at all :sorry:

Celebs are marketing vehicles.. They do whatever management tells them to do and agencies pays them for it.. U dont see them talk about comics because there isnt a single comic out there that can appeal to them.. Thats the premise of my all argument with RQ.. RQ is the only book out there that can cross over to pop culture..

Maybe Kim kardashian can be spotted reading rat queens at a club while watching yeezy perform. :wishluck:

lol

Your projected path to Rat Queens becoming the most celebrated comic in the last 30 to 40 years is beyond absurd. Even more absurd than that one Rube who thought Major League Baseball was going to start talking about 3D DC covers on the air for no good reason, and he'd be flipping hundos on all the suckers lining up to buy his copies.

Let's not act like Rat Queens is the only book that has ever appealed to females before. And I think your average female would probably have a stronger interest in SiP.

In my personal experience in the hobby, the most successful book I've seen with females is the Sandman. It's one of the most acclaimed series of all time, Neil has gone on to be (probably) the most successful breakout writer to come from the medium, and it's still a fairly underground thing. Definitely not on TMNT level.

Even if the movie blows up, it will have come from quality work, years of development hell, and various other things.

Not some jackhole paying the fat chick from the facts of life 20k to tweet about it, hoping that Katy Perry will somehow notice and care.

I'm guessing all the Low #1s from SDCC are off to be graded. Hardly any for sale and the heat keeps increasing. Looks like quite a few of the ones for sale were signed without SS.

Edited by krighton

RQ is definately heating up, as others have mentioned probably not directly undue to discussions here. The announcement that it's being made into a tv show is promising for speculators, but there is validity in asking "who's really FANning it?" The demographic argument is particularly interesting.

TMNT tv show appealed to kids as well as teenagers. Drawing more fans into the comic book origins. It had adult appeal as well, but by tapping into a magic unquantifiable appeal, it would continue to gain momentum by initiating future generations of kids and teens into it's followers. So it ensured itself longevity and It snow balled.

BUT, even that magic cross-demographic appeal doesn't ensure a comic's success. Anyone want to by my Spongebob #1 for $200? How about Young Justice? AWESOME cartoon, I'd be happy to sell you first print issue #1 for only $100. In fact, I'll go to my LCS and get you 10 more, and you can have all 11 for $800 and I'll pocket the other $790.

RQs is big-boobed, beer-guzzling and bloody antics. Who's letting their kids watch that? The demographic is targeting teens + young adults, and comics targeted to young adults made into movies have values all over the map. Then you are trusting that the studio is not going to foul things up somehow (which they do more often than not). Will it becomes as big as TMNT? Possible! If all the stars align...and wouldn't it be totally sick if they did?!?! But there are so many "IFs" in the RQ's surity it isn't anywhere near gaurenteed.

I have to admit though, this is great sport to speculate. Too bad there isn't a web show about it.

-Terry

Edited by Firespitter

WTTB Terry !

I think Rat Queens is an incredibly well written book with fantastic art AND coloring (which helps a lot imo) but I believe TMNT is a once in a generation type thing. I absolutely love that people get fired up about it. Its my opinion that the audience will continue to grow but absolutely agree that this is NOT a book I would let my young one peruse. I also think it appeals to more than a couple of generations. I remember weekends hanging out with D&D guys and gals and it certainly stokes those memories. lol

WTTB Terry !

I think Rat Queens is an incredibly well written book with fantastic art AND coloring (which helps a lot imo) but I believe TMNT is a once in a generation type thing. I absolutely love that people get fired up about it. Its my opinion that the audience will continue to grow but absolutely agree that this is NOT a book I would let my young one peruse. I also think it appeals to more than a couple of generations. I remember weekends hanging out with D&D guys and gals and it certainly stokes those memories. lol

:applause:

I love all of this RQ hype! Incidentally, if anyone wants to "invest" in the original art to the 5-page preview story from "What's Next?" (the TRUE 1st appearance of Rat Queens), hit me up! Price is $3500.

These pages would look great on the wall...or in your stock portfolio! :)

WTTB Terry !

:applause:

:hi:

30 pages caught up in 3 minutes and I learned the following:

Rat Queens : you're on crack

GoTG : nobody has a clue (it's the first time Rocket used the word Galaxy...)

Nothing is heating up in this thread, except plenty of things are...out there...beyond the fence...in the real world where money exchanges hands (scary place, but I've seen it I swear!)

Carry on

Lovingly and sarcastically,

JJ

Nothing is heating up in this thread, except plenty of things are...out there...beyond the fence...in the real world where money exchanges hands (scary place, but I've seen it I swear!)

Carry on

JJ

Something was optioned today. I think everyone is just waiting to see if they can get their copies first.

Carry on

JJ

lol

Something was optioned today. I think everyone is just waiting to see if they can get their copies first.

or they chose to ignore the news because by the time copies ordered online are received people will go back to not caring about this nothing indie series from a few years ago.

or they chose to ignore the news because by the time copies ordered online are received people will go back to not caring about this nothing indie series from a few years ago.

Have any of those Boom books increased in price? Serious question.

Carry on

JJ

I just caught up as well. What was up with the GIJOEISAWESOME type love for Rat Queens? I mean, I love the series, but wow. That got intense.

Carry on

JJ

Should just bring Malignant Man values up

Yes.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40%7CR40%7CR40%7CR40&_nkw=malignant+man+%231&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&LH_Sold=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=10&_fpos=&_fsct=&LH_SALE_CURRENCY=0&_sop=3&_dmd=1&_ipg=200&LH_Complete=1

Yes.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40%7CR40%7CR40%7CR40&_nkw=malignant+man+%231&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&LH_Sold=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=10&_fpos=&_fsct=&LH_SALE_CURRENCY=0&_sop=3&_dmd=1&_ipg=200&LH_Complete=1

Is it just the one cover that is hot? If you sort it by "recent first" it doesn't look too hot. I've heard good things about the book, so more power to it if it's heating up. I know Dead Letters was hot for a second and then dropped off.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40%7CR40%7CR40%7CR40&_ipg=200&_sadis=10&LH_SALE_CURRENCY=0&_sacat=0&_samihi=&_samilow=&_fpos=&_udhi=&_udlo=&LH_Sold=1&_dmd=1&LH_Complete=1&_fsct=&_nkw=malignant+man+%231&_sop=13

Two Guns did nicely for a small time, but there were never more than a handful of listings on ebay at any given time. The movie wasn't terrible either but the comics were largely ignored.

Yes.

Is it just the one cover that is hot? If you sort it by "recent first" it doesn't look too hot. I've heard good things about the book, so more power to it if it's heating up. I know Dead Letters was hot for a second and then dropped off.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40%7CR40%7CR40%7CR40&_ipg=200&_sadis=10&LH_SALE_CURRENCY=0&_sacat=0&_samihi=&_samilow=&_fpos=&_udhi=&_udlo=&LH_Sold=1&_dmd=1&LH_Complete=1&_fsct=&_nkw=malignant+man+%231&_sop=13

I'm such a noob doh!